Samsung panel comparison

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by andyUK101, May 8, 2007.

Tags:
  1. andyUK101

andyUK101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +456
    The high street electrical store i work in is undergoing a refit this week and so ive finally had the chance to compare some of the different samsung panels side by side

Models:
    32R88 - CMO1 panel
    37R88 - AMO1 panel
    40R88 - SPO2 panel

All the screens were hooked up to a "supposed" HD feed which is run from a server upstairs, piped down and around the shop through CAT5 and then component splitter boxes feed each TV. Personally id rate it about the same as the older upscaled movies on sky HD. Nowhere near the quality you get from a dedicated Hi Def player but better than any average consumer level DVD players

The TVs were all run off the same splitter box and were initially set

Contrast 65
    Bright 45
    Sharpness 50
    Colour 55
    Tint 50/50
    Dynamic colour - Cool 1 tone

These may seem a little high but the shop has quite harsh spot lighting and the TVs are destined for the window where people would be viewing them through thick glass

Ill rate each TV in terms of how i thought it performed in various measure, the kind of things you look for in TVs, ive tried to take the different size of each TV into account by viewing them from different distances (3* diag screen size) and rating them from there.

The rolling demo consists of 30% movie footage/30% animated footage/40 digital graphics and advertisements, each TV uses exactly the same cable

Depth of black:

The 37" screen was clearly the best here, the blacks were very deep even with the high brightness and contrast, with the black surround on these TVs is really easy to see the black levels and how they vary, 32" and 40" were similar with the 40" edging it slightly

Detail level (blacks):

The 37" was the best here again, the detail in the blacks was much better then either of the other models, the details on black backgrounds was quite clear, again very similar on the 32" and 40" models

Detail level: (or how sharp i thought they looked)

Once again the 37" looked the best here, its picture was crystal clear and really noticeable even close up, looked nicer then a 37X3030 on the same feed, 40" edged the 32" here as there was some pixellation and distortion on the 32"

Contrast:

The rolling demo has some very nice deep colours at the same time as pure white/black parts of the screen, the colours looked much deeper and vibrant on the 37" than either of the other 2, very similar quality on the 32" and 40"

Motion blur:

There is a short clip of some football on the rolling demo, the 40" performed very smoothly here followed by the 37" then 32", i noticed definite smudging on the 37" and 32" but non on the 40"

White levels:

The whites looked a lot cleaner on the 40" than either the 37" or 32", there was a slightly dirty tinge to the whites on the 37" and 32" screen when the screen was reproducing a pure white at the same time as some deeper colour

My initital thoughts were that the 37" panel (AMO1) was the best all round, however when i spent some time playing with the settings on the 40" (SP01) it started to look a lot better, it benefitted from raising the contrast and brightness and lowering the sharpness a little, after i finished playing around a little it looked better for movie portion of the rolling demo with more realistic flesh tones depth, the 37" still looked better for the animation and digital grpahics part though, compared to the 40" though the flesh tones looked very artificial despite playing with some settings later on

One strange thing about the SP01 was the pixels seemed to be in a brickwork pattern rather than aligned vertically and horizontally, once i noticed this it kept drawing my eye when viewing close up

I personally would be happy with either a AMO1 or SPO1 panel, however i would not be happy with a CMO1 panel, compared to other TVs it looks very nice however comparing it side by sde with the different panels showed up a lot of problems

Before anyone asks i dont have any of these TVs i have a 40F71 with a samsung panel and couldnt be happier, nor does it matter to me which we sell more of, from a shop perspective we dont know which panel a TV has before we open the box (and tbh most sales people wouldnt know the difference anyway)

I know comparing 3 different sizes of TV isnt ideal however i dont think anyone is going to be in a position to compare 3 of the same size with 3 different panels in

We also had 1 40R73 with a SPO1 panel in it and i always thought this looked very nice when properly set up, both the 37" and 40" R88 looked more vibrant and had better colour depth when comparing them regardless of the panel

Hope this helps people :thumbsup:

2. dchris2

dchris2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks very informative. I ordered a 32r88 from dixons i hope it doesn't come with a CMO if it does however i'll live with it I think... the guys at http://www.*/Samsung-LE32R87BDX/ tested the 32R87 with a CMO panel and they gave it good marks

3. samoxuk

samoxuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my samsung r88 isa sp03 though

4. andyUK101

andyUK101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +456
    Didnt mention which version of the CMO panel it was though, it could have been one of the newer MVA? ones which are supposed to be pretty good

5. dchris2

dchris2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i get the impression from discussions here that the great majority of 32r8x that have CMO panels have the newer MVAs. I might be wrong tho

6. andyUK101

andyUK101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +456
    Good point, which version number of the CMO? panel would indicate an MVA one?

Ill try and find another 32R88 with a different panel and compare them side by side

7. Lewis123

Lewis123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    AndyUk101, from the description of the setup and feed it sounds like you work for Currys ;)

Our 32R88 has a CM03 panel in it, and the pixels in that are in a honeycomb pattern. Picture seems a bit washed out, and the honeycomb pixels are a bit weird. Our 40" and 26" has SP01 panels, which have >>> pixels.

Now the interesting thing is that we have a 26R73 next to the 26R88. The R73 has an AM0 panel in it, and I think it looks better than the SPVA in the R88, Better blacks and deeper colours.

8. andyUK101

andyUK101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +456
    Could well be :) i suppose the model numbers were a giveaway as well

My personal preference was for the AMO panel as well, with a little tweaking im sure the artificialness of the flesh tones could be overcome

9. Blackbolt360

Blackbolt360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    andyUK101, such a shame you couldnt get some photographs when you did this.