Samsung P2470HD HDMI issues, any idea?

wiredfire

Standard Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

These forums have been recommended to me as the place to go for thoughts about AV kit. I've had a search around and haven't seen anyone here with the same issues as me so allow me to see if anyone here has any ideas.

Last week I bought a shiny new 24" Samsung SyncMaster P2470HD
I have mostly been using is with my PCs DVI output, which looked great at native full 1080p resolution. The problems started when I tried HDMI.

The HDMI output from my PC, at the same resolution at the DVI output that looked awesome, was terrible. Text was rough and unclear in places, the colour saturation was poor and was painful to look at. I tested all setting available on the PCs HDMI output and on the Samsung itself with only very minor improvements - it still looked very rough compared to how sharp the DVI (and VGA for that matter) inputs where.

I then gave my Xbox360 Elite a spin on the HDMI - it looked just as bad. Again tried all the settings options on the Xbox (720, 1080i, 1080p etc) and the Samsung but to no real improvement.

At the moment I'm planning to return the TV to Richer Sounds but before I do is there anything else I can try? Don't want to lug it back to the shop if I've missed something and end up look a fool :p

Many thanks for any ideas.

Mine is great from the PS3 once I sorted through my HDMI cables and found one that would fit through the plastic moulding on the back of the TV and make full contact with the connector... Is there a possibility that your HDMI connector is not making full contact? Otherwise I would suggest taking it back for a replacement as it sounds like a quality issue.

I took mine back and got a straight swap for the same model. Come home - same thing! Different sources, different HDMI cables, all got poor colour quality and a little ghosting 0_o The same devices and cables look awesome when hooked into a 42" LG but poor on the Samsung via HDMI. Via DVI still looks great though *puzzled*

Thanks for the connection suggestion agoodey. Had a go at 'streamlining' (i.e. hacking-away-at) casing on one of my spare HDMI cable to absolutely be sure it's making full contact and getting through the outer housing. It made for a better fit and a *slightly* improved picture but still peering though bad colours and ghosting.

Could it be a faulty batch?! Trying to figure out some more detail before going back to the shop again and looking like a time-waster >_<

Following more fiddling and poking about it seems that agoodey's advise rung true in the end, many thanks :)

I've well and truly knackered using my laptop settings via HDMI (get a border or massive fuzzyness but still looks great via DVI) HOWEVER... *pauses for dramatic effect*... the Xbox360 via HDMI looks awesome :D

Right.. I can finally actually enjoy my tellybox now ;-)

Glad you sorted it.
I bought my P2470HD on Sunday (from Richer Sounds).
Have now tested all inputs and very pleased.
I hooked up a Pace (non Sky) sat receiver last night via HDMI and looks great on HD (BBC HD and Luxe HD).
PC is using DVI (again excellent) and another PC is using VGA into it.
I'd still like to find some tried and tested settings for each mode and any calibration info though - but couldn't find anything on the Interweb, not even any reviews of worthwhile length or detail.

Last edited:
Hi,

I cannot see on their web site, can you pls tell me how did it cost that is if you don't mind?
Thank you

I just bought this set (they're currently £269.95 at RS) and while it looks awesome through HDMI on the PS3 and through VGA with the laptop, I have the same problem with HDMI & my laptop, it looks like it's just taking 1600x900 or something, even though the source on the TV says 1920x1080.

Anyone had any joy fixing this?

You could be suffering from this issue:

"Also, consumers may want to confirm that the DVI interface supports High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), as content that requires HDCP copy protection will require that both the HDMI and DVI devices support HDCP to properly view the video content."

When any hardware or software which is not HDCP compliant is detected, the system degrades the image to a very poor level. Lot's of people get caught out with this. You basically have to make sure that every piece of equipment attached is HDCP compliant!

Not sure if you ever sorted the issue, but as I've been looking at buying a combined TV/monitor I thought actually ask Comet to earn their commission by trying some of the 23" TV's connected to a PC via HDMI. I was shocked at the poor quality.

A bit of research on google suggests that HDMI is not the method to use to connect a PC (google HDMI overscan). If you want to stand a chance of getting a decent picture over HDMI then see if your monitor can be set into a 1:1 ratio. It would appear that some form of scaling is happening over HDMI that leaves text looking washed out and blurred.

If it makes you feel any better I observed this problem on both a Samsung P2270HD and an LG M2362D, and the problem is not just limited to these monitors, based on the results from Google.

Hope this helps.

Not sure if you ever sorted the issue, but as I've been looking at buying a combined TV/monitor I thought actually ask Comet to earn their commission by trying some of the 23" TV's connected to a PC via HDMI. I was shocked at the poor quality.

A bit of research on google suggests that HDMI is not the method to use to connect a PC (google HDMI overscan). If you want to stand a chance of getting a decent picture over HDMI then see if your monitor can be set into a 1:1 ratio. It would appear that some form of scaling is happening over HDMI that leaves text looking washed out and blurred.

If it makes you feel any better I observed this problem on both a Samsung P2270HD and an LG M2362D, and the problem is not just limited to these monitors, based on the results from Google.

Hope this helps.

It does, many thanks.

I have just bought one of these units and experienced this problem and your info saved me a wasted trip back to the retailer.

You might want to try the following to try and improve HDMI connectivity to a PC.

* Using the Samsung remote press the 'source' button
* Now press the 'Tools' button
* Highlight 'Edit Name' and press the 'OK/Accept' button
* Move the selected input to HDMI and press the 'OK/Accept' button again.
* Move the selection to 'PC' and again OK your selection.

See whether you now have crystal clear text on the HDMI input when connected to your PC.

I've not tried it myself but read the instructions somewhere else on the internet...

I ended up buying the P2470HD from Richer Sounds and think it's a great all rounder. It saves having to have both a TV and a PC monitor in the spare room / office. Only thing to grumble about is that the sound could have a bit more bass, but I knew the Samsung TV/monitors suffered from poor inbuilt speakers before I bought it.

You might want to try the following to try and improve HDMI connectivity to a PC.

See whether you now have crystal clear text on the HDMI input when connected to your PC.

I've not tried it myself but read the instructions somewhere else on the internet...

I ended up buying the P2470HD from Richer Sounds and think it's a great all rounder. It saves having to have both a TV and a PC monitor in the spare room / office. Only thing to grumble about is that the sound could have a bit more bass, but I knew the Samsung TV/monitors suffered from poor inbuilt speakers before I bought it.

Thanks for the tip - will give it a try.

Was really hoping for a pin sharp HDMI image from my laptop so was sorely disappointed when that was not the case.

I too bought my unit from Richer Sounds and, without boring you with the details, got a good deal and excellent service.

Agree the sound is poor but I think that is generally the case with flat screens due to their slim size.

BTW, sounds like I'm using the screen the same as yourself in the home office/spare room.

I have been researching this issue for a while now and after getting conflicting advice from the Samsung (SM233HD) manual and quick guide and their telephone customer service I finally got this email (which I've edited the guff from) from Samsung pertaining to the SM2333HD and the P2470H:

"The HDMI inputs are not designed to have a PC connected to them. The DVI inputs are HDCP compliant. Using DVI does not allow you to adjust as many options through the On Screen Menu as VGA."

However, a user review on the internet claimed to be able to get a good picture through HDMI by changing the source to PC.

I have been researching this issue for a while now and after getting conflicting advice from the Samsung (SM233HD) manual and quick guide and their telephone customer service I finally got this email (which I've edited the guff from) from Samsung pertaining to the SM2333HD and the P2470H:

"The HDMI inputs are not designed to have a PC connected to them. The DVI inputs are HDCP compliant. Using DVI does not allow you to adjust as many options through the On Screen Menu as VGA."

However, a user review on the internet claimed to be able to get a good picture through HDMI by changing the source to PC.

This email suggests that the HDMI connection is not HDCP compliant which is strange as when I do connect my (Samsung Q320) laptop to my P2470HD and then adjust the settings using my graphics card utility, it states that my laptop and display are both HDCP compliant!

Surely, by changing the source to PC you are reverting to the VGA connection so not sure how it would display input from the HDMI port this way.

I'm not sure they're saying it is not HDCP compliant (I thought HDMI had to be) rather that it is an AV rather than PC input, but I still don't really understand why the picture is rubbish through HDMI. As for changing the source I don't fully understand what the guy was on about, this was referring to the SM2333HD it was connected to his PC via HDMI, but he changed the source to PC, I assumed it was a setting on the TV.

I have just purchased the Samsung SyncMaster P2470LHD in Germany. I believe it is the same as the P2470HD but with 2x HDMI and no DVI-I. After struggling on Mac forums to discover why I was getting a rubbish picture using a DVI to HDMI cable from my Macbook Pro I switched to checking issues with the monitor and ended up on AV Forums.

The HDMI source was stating 1920x1080@60 (on screen as source detected) but was either displaying giving a black bordered image or (with Overscan selected in OS X) was going off the screen. With both the text looked fuzzy with white halo / ghosting effects. The same occurred when booting into Windows Vista. Having tried all the options and ScreenResX (display utility for OS X) I was about to return the monitor.

The solution (as highlighted by jdickie) was to use the Samsung OSD and "edit the name" for the HDMI source to call it "PC" or "DVI PC" from the options. Clearly this is not just changing the name displayed for the source but actually makes some difference on how the monitor handles the HDMI signal. The Samsung website is useless on the subject.

The native resolution is now displaying clearly and lower resolutions although having the "soft focus effect" do not feature the halo / ghosting effects on text.

I have the same monitor for some days now and I had the same problem with the hdmi connection. Thanks to the above posts I managed to solve the display quality but I still have a problem. There is a black gap (1 inch) around the screen so the image does not cover the whole surface.

Any suggestions?

:thumbsup:

You are a man! I registered specialy to thank you! I had lost all my hope to get good picture quality until found your message. Thank you so much!

Ok this is how it worked for me.

I did what jdickie said:

After that, in order to fix any color issues press the Menu button from your remote and in the Picture Tab go down to Picture Options and change to these settings:
*Colour Tone : Normal
*HDMI Black Level : Normal

That did it for me. Hope it was helpful.
Many thanks to jdickie!!!

I too have registered simply to say thank you. I thought I was going mad, but your instructions are spot on. Thank you thank you.

I too have registered simply to say thank you. This is great help. Tried upgrading drivers though didnt work. This worked perfectly right away. Cheers

I was getting crazy with this. thanks again

Ho. Lee. Crap. Thank you so much!

I bought an LG M2362D today after reading plenty of rave reviews, but when I plugged in my laptop via HDMI, all the text was blurry. I spent about 30 minutes trying obvious things (correct resolution? bad cable?), then over an hour just playing with the picture quality settings. Nothing fixed the problem. I eventually tried a DVI-to-HDMI cable (laptop HDMI to monitor DVI) and suddenly the picture was perfect. Some googling brought me to this thread.

The process is a little different on the LG M2362D. Using either the remote or the buttons on the panel:
1. Open the menu.
2. Go to "Option" (looks like a toolbox) and press Enter.
3. Go to "Input Label" and press Enter.
4. Move down to HDMI1 or HDMI2 and use the left/right arrows to change the label to "PC".

If you have the computer plugged in via HDMI while you change the label, you will see the screen immediately reset to a clear image when you get to "PC". Both HDMI ports can be labeled "PC" at the same time.

Interestingly, the product manual from LG states "HDMI Input does not support PC mode. If it is connected PC, the screen may not display properly." Nuts to them.

Last edited:
First thing you want to do is get your monitor remote and go to:
Menu > Input > Edit Name > edit your HDMI so it says PC next to it

Second thing you want to do is enter your Catalyst Control Center and go to:
My Digital Flat-Panels > Scaling Options (Digital Flat-Panel) > turn the scaling to 0%

My Digital Flat-Panels > Pixel Format > select RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB)

You may want to try turning on Image Scaling if you have a problem with other resolutions letter boxing in:
My Digital Flat-Panels > Properties (Digital Flat-panel)

First thing you want to do is get your monitor remote and go to:
Menu > Input > Edit Name > edit your HDMI so it says PC next to it

Second thing you want to do is enter your Catalyst Control Center and go to:
My Digital Flat-Panels > Scaling Options (Digital Flat-Panel) > turn the scaling to 0%

My Digital Flat-Panels > Pixel Format > select RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB)

You may want to try turning on Image Scaling if you have a problem with other resolutions letter boxing in:
My Digital Flat-Panels > Properties (Digital Flat-panel)

Thanks a lot!!!!!!! The Catalyst Control Center part of the solution was driving me crazy. Now the missing black surroinding inch is gone and the blurred letters too.
Now it really looks HD
Thanks. You all are great sharing your knowledge.
:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom