1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung or Toshiba - newbie needs help!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MrG99, Aug 25, 2005.

1. MrG99

MrG99
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello to everyone,

I'm new here but have been reading with great interest (up till 3am last night!). I'm looking to change my old 50" Tosh RPT for either the tosh DLP 52 or 46" or the Samsung 50" DLP unit. I've read lots of peoples problems with both sets and am a little worried.

However I will go with one of the above, I see people recommend getting from Costco due to warrenty (3 yrs?) and have checked that my wife qualifys to join. They won't quote prices so we'll have to join to see if they can beat the current web prices.

I like the look of the Samsung best and more people seem happier with it???? My only problem with it is where are people putting their centre speakers? The only solution seems to be putting it off centre on the free stand unit? Any recommendations on this and the TVs I've shortlisted??

2. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the Samsung and after some intial problems am now very happy with it. I put my centre speaker upright next to the pedestal and it seems OK there, it's quite a big speaker though so the sound field it creates is fine with this. Not sure how some of the smaller "lifestyle" type speakers will cope but they should be alright.
    I'd suggest you give DLP a good test though - I suffered very badly from rainbows on the Samsung despite not being able to see them in the shop but fortunately this seems to have settled down quite a lot (I still see them but nowhere near as much).

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Samsung willl be bringing out a 50" model on a conventional TV stand (no centre pedestal) within a month or so, or they have a 46" model available now.

Demoed a lot of sets before settling on my Samsung 46" model. Saw two Toshiba models and they had the worst picture quality of all. Smearing, digital artifacts and low levels of picture contrast / brightness. Wouldn't even consider one.

4. tiburs

tiburs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you fix on wall your central speaker or put on a stand ?
    Do you have some pics of your installation, I'll have to solve exactly the same problem :clap:

5. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya: Tiburs

Have a look at the "get your dlps out" thread, thers loads of set ups in there and a few sp50's. I definitely stick with Samsung, not had any issues with mine. :smashin:

6. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Scoob,

I see from your setup that your amp is on the top shelf. If your amp is anything like mine (Yamaha DSPA2), then it weighs a ton.

I'm getting the exact same TV as yours delivered this weekend and was wondering where I was going to put my amp. I didn't realise that the top shelf could support so much weight.