1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

samsung or sony

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by tinka, Oct 23, 2005.

1. tinka

tinka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello,ive had a couple of posts but as yet no joy,im realy having trouble deciding on which 40"lcd to buy,my short list now is:

samsung le40r41 or le40m61 or

sony kdlv40a12u

also what would be the ideal distance to view this size tv from,and is it worth getting additional warranties,

i realy would appreiciate some advice as its proving to be a real nightmare,ive read the samsung threads which seem to be devided at the moment,i know these questions are asked all the time but its better to ask you guys than go and get one blind so to speak?.

2. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19

A dealer told me LCDs are a lot more reliable than CRT so maybe its not worth getting a warranty, he had experienced a lot less breakdowns

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    If you're OK with spending the extra, go for the Sony.

4. televisionuser

televisionuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If it was up to me, I would get the Samsung, very good design, good price. Sony looks good too in terms of appearance & specs but definately not worth the premium they charge. Samsung's brand image is beginning to catch up with Sony.

5. tinka

tinka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your inputs,ive read that the sony has a samsung screen too,although im not sure how acurate that is,the only advantage the sony has is 3 rgb scarts, i dont know how much of a benefit that is?.

6. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Samsung and Sony are in a 50/50 joint venture with the LCD screen production (there is a company called S-LCD they set up I think). So that part of the TV will be exactly the same. Your decision really depends on the othe specs and price.

7. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    The panel will probably be exactly the same, yes. But as a once Samsung owner and a current Sony owner I can tell you that the picture processing going on behind the panel is most definitely not the same across the two companies.

8. Exception OE

Exception OE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, I find Sony products to be not much better than other brands, sometimes worse. They just seem to cost more and people just asume the product is good because its Sony. Just my view there :p

9. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I used to agree with you but I've had a change of mind. Quality wise, anything I've used from them lately has been at or near the top of the scale for consumer-priced equipment (that is, among the best you can get without spending silly amounts).

10. cosmicblue

cosmicblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Don't forget that the Sony V series panels are not equipped with either a VGA or DVI connection so you have little chance of ever connecting a PC. Bizzarely though the slightly cheaper S series screens (no Wega engine) do have the PC connection.

The sound quality from the two feeble speakers that Sony have installed are disappointing too.

The Samsung is a lot of TV for the money.....don't go and look at the Philips 37pf9830 after you have bought the thing though - it will break your heart.

11. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Surely people don't spend that amount on a TV without having an external sound system? :eek:

12. mister meaner

mister meaner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung just had a great review in What Home Cinema. Seems to do well against its peers for a very value for money price. The DNIe picture processing is fairly good too, so i'd be surprised if the sony did much better considering the amount of tech they share.

13. cosmicblue

cosmicblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Probably not - but it is a pain having to put all the hifi stuff on just to watch the 6 o'clock news or suffer a squeaky voice output.

I love Sony kit, and dearly wanted the V32 Sony but disliked the obvious penny pinching in the design - unnacceptable in a £1800 TV.

14. televisionuser

televisionuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Depends on what line of product you buy from sony. I bought a Sony mp3 discman a couple of years ago, that was cheap, flimsy & made in taiwan. You can't always go by brand name as too often a product is outsouced with their brand name simply slapped on it.

15. kam03

kam03

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    after owning the samsung and sony, i would go for the sony. there is alot of difference.

16. televisionuser

televisionuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    what differences did u notice between these 2 models.