Samsung or Sony for teccie pensioner

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Samorson, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Samorson

Samorson
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm 69 and am pretty technical - but not very good at networks.

I bought a 46" Samsung F8000 and a soundbar from JL a few weeks ago but got exasperated with all of the software bugs, other stated features which don't work (e.g. a 'universal remote' which isn't compatible with a Virgin set-top box), 'help desk' personnel who didn't know the product, lack of decent documentation, and a general failure to make it do what I wanted it to. Since I'd paid nearly £2,000 for something that I couldn't get working I sent it back.

I now realise that I probably spent more than I needed. I don't need motion control or voice control, Netflix etc, apps, or general web browsing. I don't want to operate it using my phone or any other smart device. If I get a cheaper TV I'll buy a universal remote if necessary. I've got Virgin, so I don't need catch up TV, although iPlayer would be handy. So I only need the following facilities:

- A pretty good picture, although something less than the 8000 would be OK if I saved a few hundred pounds. Samsungs of 600 Hz and above seem OK. I also like the Sony 905.
    - To watch movies and listen to music off my PC via my home network or a USB hard drive
    - Possibly pipe these into another room via bluetooth
    - Watch internet football

I've borrowed a Samsung 5000 and I'm having difficulty seeing it on my network. I've been advised to get a cheaper TV (than the F8000) but also get a PS3.

My questions (after all that) are:

- Would a PS3 make it much easier to link to my network? Or should I be able to get away without one? Would it make internet football easy to switch to? And is it likely to give other future benefits? (I don't play games).
    - Which Samsungs would / would not fit my requirements?
    - I ruled out plasma at the beginning, but some Panasonics look OK. The flagship LG (LED) doesn't look good (pixelation) in my local store, although I can't tell if that's the TV or the signal.

So - any recommendations on Samsungs at about £700 - £800? Other models? and any other views? Please...

2. Jimholt

Jimholt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I don't have a wifi tv, but what i have read is you need to get into the menu and find "set up network". and then of course you need your passkey to allow the tv access to your network. Sorry if you know this.

3. rbartlett

rbartlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have the w905a and as a internet tv it's a complete joke. you will not be able to watch net football direct from this tv

4. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921