1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

samsung or philips lcd??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by starsk, Aug 31, 2005.

1. starsk

starsk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Starsk, I'm in the same boat as you, having to deide between the Philips 32PF5520 (I think this one has freeview, whereas the 5320 doesn't) and the Samsung 32R41BD.

I ordered the Philips due to some special deal my local coopwas having, but I am very close to cancelling and getting the Samsung. Check out my thread about the 5520 for a bit more info.

3. Gizmoboy

Gizmoboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mince,

Went to Comet yesterday and saw several LCDs + Plamsas running from a single feed (PC running compressed HD material - I think). The Philips was very poor compared to the Samsung (which was excellent!). I could not change the settings - but the one think I noticed immediately with the Philips is how 'blocky' everything look (could this be because there is no processing like WEGA or DNle going on?). But as your ordering both, I'm sure you'll be able to test the set out more thoroughly.

Regards,

Gizmo

4. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gizmo, yeah I thought the Philips looked blocky with freeview, but I thought it was due to compression etc.

I also just got a message from coop saying that they will take an extra week to get me the TV! They can get hold of the Samsung 32" and I may be able to get them to do the same discount that they gave me on the Philips if I'm lucky.

If there was no danger of tearing then I'd go for it straight away!

I don't want to be spending £700+ on something I'm not entirely sure about. Perhaps I should just wait a bit longer???