Question Samsung or LG?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Sup3rnova01, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Sup3rnova01

Sup3rnova01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone!

I need to buy a Tv and recently I saw the SK7900 LG in a shop in Italy priced at 599 euros.

The Tv looks good even tough I am not convinced 100% to buy it.
    I read in many posts that the Ips panel (even tough is really good when watching from an angle) at night time doesn't look good because of the blacks.
    Also it is not slim as the samsung.

Many people suggest to buy Samsung with a Va panel (wich was my first choice in the beginning) when you watch tv at night time.
    A shop assistant said that often they got problems and they need repairs.

Is the LG image quality really bad at night time without comparing with other Tv's or is something you can deal with?

Also can you give me suggestions please comparing LG SK7900 with Samsung models MU7000 (found @719 euros), MU6400([email protected]) and NU7170( [email protected]) ?
    I cannot afford OLED right now!

Which one would you go for and why?

- For the room where I need to place it I need to get a 49".
    - The viewing distance is 2,5 metres, 3 metres max (most of the times not seated right in front of it)
    - I watch it mostly in the evening and night with a dark room.
    - I usually watch movies, documentaries and series in digital terrestrial, downloaded from the internet and I am about to subscribe with Netflix.
    - I do have a 5.1 Bose system for the audio to be connected.

Thank you very much in advance!

Angelo

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    Hi Angelo!

Its not bad at all, they are very good TV's and amongst the best you can get if you need wider viewing angles from an LCD. Do you need wider viewing angles or only view at the front?
    That's quite a myriad of models, some of which are new 2018 range and are overpriced, some 2017 range and more competitively priced. Are there any TVs available for you in this guide: My best value TVs, 2017 Edition ? - particularly the Hisense, Panasonic and Samsung 50" models (not 49").
    It depends on what you are currently using. You asked above will I notice bad blacks on the LG so much? Well that is really only something you will know when you test it. I certainly would only go for a TV with an IPS panel if you need wide viewing angles, others will be much better for you since you state you do most viewing at night and in the evening where better blacks and contrast, plus a more uniform screen account for a lot.

What are you currently using for a television and what quality sources are you going to use? For example is most of your terrestrial TV streaming/viewing in SD quality or HD?

3. Sup3rnova01

Sup3rnova01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply Dodgexander!

As I mentioned on my post, most of the time i watch Tv slightly from an angle, rarely from the front.
    Also i saw the link you posted about "My best value TVs 2017": and to be honest I am not interested in any of them.
    At the moment I don't have a TV and because of the space I need to buy a 49" and I already made my mind on the brand.. has to be Samsung or Lg.
    To reply to your question I usually watch movies, documentaries and series in digital terrestrial, downloaded from the internet( both in Sd and HD) and I am about to subscribe to Netflix.
    The main doubts I have got is that if I choose Lg, with a IPS panel i can watch from an angle but at night time apparently will be less performing than Samsung.
    If I choose Samsung in a dark room will be good but won't perform as a Lg for the viewing angle.

Also the samsung has "real" color against the "unreal" of the LG.

These ones are the reasons because I asked for a comparison between samsung and Lg models in order to choose one model and compromise these issues!

I hope to answer all your questions.

Angelo

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    There isn't really a compromise unfortunately, the very nature of the panel dictates how well it performs in the dark. Features that can improve on dark room performance do not reside on TVs in this price range. To have a TV with an IPS panel that performs better in the dark you are probably looking at a model like the LG SK9500/SJ9000 and even then they still have IPS type panels which still means they will let more light through from behind. By comparison TVs lower down the range are all edge lit and do not have effective means of controlling light output at all. Even models that state that they use local dimming, in practice are often better with it disabled.

On to Samsung vs LG:

The LGs I know will be using IPS panels, their factory produces only IPS panels so unless the TV is 50" (not 49") it will be using an LG IPS panel from their own factory.

With Samsung it could be either VA or IPS depending on the model, some models come with both and it's a gamble which panel you get when you buy the tv. Restricted strictly to 49" the MU7000 will have a VA type panel for certain. The MU6400 I am not sure if it will come with VA or IPS - this panel information is hard to find. I have heard of another user in Italy buying one that looked like it came with VA but here in the UK it seems there are models with both being sold. The NU7100 again like the models from the year before (MU6100) could be using both types at 49".

What kind of angles are you talking? If it's more than 30 degrees each side from the centre of the TV you will need IPS. If less you can get a TV with a VA panel.

If you do them almost certainly the best thing to do would be to get one of the LG models. Depending on pricing you may find last years SJ series cheaper than this years SK. 599 isn't a bad price for the SK7900 but its not any better than last years SJ810v/SJ800v which you might be able to find on clearance for cheaper.

If you don't then the Samsung 49MU7000 would be your only sure bet to get an VA panel. Unlike the LG you spotted its a 2017 model so will probably be more competitively priced.

And if you go for one of the other lower end Samsung models like the NU7100 or MU6400 you take a gamble with what panel you get.

Watching SD TV on an UHD model isn't going to be ideal either, so you may consider purchasing instead a FHD model which will scale poorer quality content better or even a second hand model.
    It depends if you want access to UHD content at the sake of poorer quality content looking worse or if you want to lose access to UHD and have poorer quality content looking better on a FHD model. Certainly those that do buy UHD TVs tend to find themselves avoiding SD quality content because it scales so bad, if that is not a problem for you, no issue.

Colour really isn't that much of an issue, any TV at this level now can reproduce 90% of the SDR colour gamut, some will be more accurate out of the box than others but unless you can find a specific review of each product you won't know how accurate it is out of the box. Certainly don't worry to make sense of any manufacturer wording on colour. The only thing that matters is if the TV has a wide colour gamut or not and this only makes a difference in HDR content.

So if this doesn't answer what you need, please let me know the price you have for each TV and how far your viewing angle off centre will be and I can help more.

5. Sup3rnova01

Sup3rnova01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

The angle is less than 30..maybe even less than 20 but the thing that let me downturn the LG is because i watch tv mostly at night time in dark room.

So i will definetely get a Samsung. Now my choice has to be between [email protected] 569 euros and the [email protected] euros and to be honest I don't want to spend 719 euros for the Mu7000, which even if it would be the best option between all this models, as you confirmed, it is still a 2017 model, so at this point if i need to get an old model i will get the cheaper one.

Found only one comparison between the Mu6400 & NU7170 models, but apparently MU6400 even if it's a 2016 has many pros compared:

Bluetooth
    Brighter picture/More peak luminunce
    Higher contrast
    DTS support
    Support wider color gamut
    Remote with built in microphone

The only thing I would prefer of the NU7170 is the black color.

Let me know your opinion about it. Thanks!!!

Angelo

6. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    Mu6400 is far better than NU7170. And MU7xxx is far better than 6400, but I can understand your rationale a little re this model.

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    I'd be scared of getting an IPS type panel getting the NU7100 and the MU6400. Get the MU7000 to be sure to get a superior TV and to be sure of a VA panel.

There is the MU7070 revision which is black, I think it was sold in Currys but I am not sure if there are any left now.

8. Sup3rnova01

Sup3rnova01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dodgexander,
    It's not sure that has a Ips type..from the italian samsung site..under panel says N/D but what i found in italian Forums says that it is an Pls, Ads, others says that is a VA.
    I am going to see it at the shop today..to be sure any way to find out once I am there?
    Thank you.

Angelo

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,410
    It may be more likely to be VA in Italy, I'm not sure. There are a few ambiguous ways to tell, some may be hard to know just in the shop, especially with the store loop material. I'd suggest you take a USB disk with some sample files to test.

Viewing angles - A VA panel will look more washed out at a tight angle, for example look at this post where a user found his 43NU7400 had a VA panel. Notice how at a tight angle the colours look really dim? This is a good way to tell a VA panel but not a 100% sure one.

Screen uniformity - This will probably be impossible to tell in a shop unless they show you in completely darkness. A VA panel will have more contrast, deeper blacks and will be less prone to light coming from behind the TV. As I said though this will be hard to see in a shop so is probably best ignored. Especially when they can cherry pick good looking ADS type panels too.

Service menu - you can read panel information from entering the service menu, almost definitely they will not do this, but if you can find another user in Italy who has bought the same TV you stand a decent chance of knowing what panel type comes on your TV too. Whilst it can be different for every person, knowing this is better than nothing.

Macro photo shot - Also in the thread I linked above you can see he took a close up photo using a camera zoom of the TVs pixel structure. You can tell the panel type from the pixel structure if you can get a good enough picture. This will be much easier to do with a camera than with a phone due to phones limited zoom capabilities. It would also involve a comical scene at the shop with you taking a picture on the TVs screen.

Reviews in local region - you could see if the TV has been reviewed by a professional in Italy and see if they noticed what panel type their model had.

10. cs2008

cs2008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Another point to consider is that the viewing angle restrictions apply vertically as well as horizontally. I find with my Sony XF90 (VA panel) that the contrast and colour drops significantly between sitting down and standing up! And that's when viewing straight ahead. I find it quite annoying.