SAMSUNG or LG PLASMA???????

adewatson

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've had enough of my rear pro Toshiba nothing but problems from day one (colour bleed convergence geometry etc) and decided to go for plasma. I can't afford the topline Panny and so its going to be either

Samsung PS-42p2s

LG MZ-42pz10

Both are the ones available from Richer sounds as I have a digital cable box for TV.

Could anyone help me decide as the LG contast ratio is less than the Sammy but there are very few write ups on the sammy.

Also the Samsung seems to have RGB Scart but no component video input, wheras the LG has component but no scart. I intend to hook it up to my cable box (RGB Scart) and my tosh sd220e (component or RGB Scart)

Someone please give me an opinion!!!!!!!!!!!! (I don't want to get it wrong again!!!!!!!)

No personal experience of either screen, but I see on the spec. for the LG that it's horizontal synch. frequency is 31khz. That will prevent you from using alternative means to connect with RGB. That gives you only composite from your STB, or poss. an s-vid converter. IMHO, the loss from RGB to component is so much less than the loss from RGB to s-vid or composite, and I expect you'll spend more time watching TV than DVD, it's got to be the samsung. Interesting to see if the pic is better via RGB or with an RGB-VGA converter. That'll work with the Samsung, I think, but dsef. not with the LG

thanks Maw I've just started reading up on VGA input and it all seems a little scary (although Dr Sim does his best to explain).

It seems that the Samsung has less limitations, then I assume it makes it more future friendly?

MAW,

Thats very interesting, where did you find the specs for the LG and sammy? Do you have the links to these or are they from datasheets. I have been looking around for these specs but have found only very limited information. The only spec I could find for the LG says the AV board accepts: Composite, Component and S-VIDEO.

I am a bit of a newbie here and I am probably on the wrong track all together, thats why I am after links to this information. That way I can read as much information as possible, I find this the way to learn.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Also a point of note :

The Screen that RS are currenly selling is different to the one advertised (newer model).

It is the LG MZ-42pz13 NOT the LG MZ-42pz10
and also includes the av board with component / composite / svideo inputs.

I have had one of these for a month or so and am extremely happy with it both for DVD playback and for tv use via SKY+

It's also worth pointing out that the LG that Comet and QED are selling is the MZ-42PZ14 which, according to http://www.lge.pl/product/plasma/pdp/pdp.shtm, has a better spec than the MZ-42PZ10.

BTW QED are selling this model + tuner + speakers + stand for £2573 which is better value than RS's screen only deal.

I've looked at both the Sammy and the LG and despite what specs say, the LG looks better (picture and aesthetics) than the Sammy.

I've done it!! I've ordered the Samsung so we'll soon see! Richer sounds has just had 270 of these delivered to its warehouse so it should be here in a couple of days. £2520 including insured delivery, wall bracket, scart and S-Video leads plus a pair of eltax monitor 3s as they didn't have the KEFs in stock.

I'd still like any feedback from anyone else whilst I wait for the result of my actions!!!!

Ade, all I can say is "Good luck" !!
Richer Sounds told me the very same thing when I ordered a Toshiba Plasma from them in October, 3 weeks later after hearing every excuse in the book I still had not received it.
I cancelled and ordered the newer model from www.Nexnix.co.uk who were extremely efficient with delivery (24 hours), and same price, £3250.
My advice, if you want it before Christmas, is ring them every day for an update, 'keep at the top of the list'.
Cheers, Foxy ...

Hey Ade!

Congats on your purchase....let me know how u get on! :D

I am sorely tempted!!!!!

Kirk

thanks guys trust me though if I haven't heard from RS delivery couriers by tomorrow I'll give Julian Richer a call direct (number available from companies house as it's a Ltd company) I'm sure this aproach will keep me toward the top of the list!!!!!!!!

Does the RS Samsung come with Component inputs?

(I think they are on the external tuner box?)

Kirk,
I'm afraid it doesnt have component inputs but does have an RGB scart plus s-video and VGA input(rgb) aparently though the tuner box has got components and is available as an accessory.

Still like some feedback from anyone who actually has the Samsung??!!!

Hi all, newbie here, about to take the plunge into Plasma in the next few weeks !

Does anyone know how the Sammy tuner box connects to the RS version of the screen ? The models in Dixons use a DVI connection to the panel itself . . . does the RS Sammy have this connection ??

Also, if it does, has anyone seen the Sammy tuner box available for sale separately online anywhere, as I've had a bit of a search today and come up blank.

I like the look of the Sammy screen, but ideally would want to use component input from the DVD player I'll be upgrading to at the same time (Tosh 520), and don't want to pay Dixon's price of £3k for the package.

Any help much appreciated.

Monty.

hi ade, i have just got my lg z 14 yesterday, first impressions not that hot, fiddled about with pic settings, and WOW the difference is amazing , if u decide to buy i will e u with config good luck on your purchase?

Roofer, my LG MZ-42PZ14 arrives Wednesday so please wing any settings tips in my direction.

Cheers.

Hi

I got my LG on Friday, have not really had too much time to play with it yet. I am pretty impressed in what I have seen so far. I would be interested in what settings you are using roofer.

Regards
Rob

Has anyone received their Sammy Plasma screen yet ? As a potential purchaser I'd be very interested in any initial comments / reviews . . .

Thanks,

Monty.

I spoke to Richer Sounds yesterday and aparently my screen has been picked up by their couriers and will be delivered to me on Thursday. I have only seen the Sammy in Currys where it had a really crap analogue TV signal drip fed to it by possibly the worst aerial in the world so I'll try and post an update when I receive it.

There are varying views in and around these forums but I recall reading one from someone who had seen the Sammy and the highly praised Panny side by side, although there was a difference in quality it was aparently marginal wheras its fair to say the difference in bank balance in buying these 2 is anything but marginal!!!!

You pays your money and takes your chance so to say. However after an apalling run with a Tosh rear pro I'm just looking forward to not having to mess around with convergence/gveometry and no longer will have to worry about where I sit in the room to get a decent view!!!!!

Hope it turns up ok Ade.

I have a follow-up question for some of the more knowledgable peeps on this forum, and apologies if this makes me sound like a total newbie . . .

The Sammy panel supports progressive scan, but doesn't have component video inputs . . . how can it be connected to a suitable prog scan DVD player (eg Tosh 520E) so that NTSC disks display a prog scan image ?? I was under the impression that prog scan can only be passed via component, is this correct ? Is there another way to pass a prog scan image from the 520E to this screen ?

Any help on this would be much appreciated, as at the 'budget' end of the plasma market it seems to me the choices are;

Sammy - Prog scan support but no component in
LG - component in but no prog scan support !!

Thanks in advance,

Monty.

You must have to add a card to the sammy or something, or does it accept component via the VGA port, that's common too. If so there'll be a wiring diagram for the pins to use. NEC use this system a lot, and sell a cable to do it for their projectors, can't vouch for their plasmas.

Monty,

The Sammy has a 15 pin rgb enabled pc input which I believe will accept the input you require using either a JS converter box or a Keene syncmaster cable.

Regards

Adrian

That's what I do, but it's not progressive. You're talking about RGB scart to VGA. Fine for STB output, but R2 DVD progressive component video is what he wants, I think. As I say, NEC projectors accept their component progressive via a 3-phono to 15pin sub-D, and the port autosenses whether it's VGA or component. That may be so with the sammy, or you may need an expansion card.

Having said that, whether you will actually see a difference between RGB scart to VGA and pukka progressive component video is a good question. Not without a visit to the optician is my guess.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom