Answered Samsung or LG Curved 21:9 monitor.

moonbeam120

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm hoping some of you may have experience of using either of the following.

LG 34UC87-B - LED monitor - 34": Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Samsung S34E790C 34-Inch Curved LED Monitor: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Or this.

LG 34UC97 34-Inch LED LCD Monitor: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I won't be buying the LG 34UC97 because it doesn't have a height adjustable stand and I have no need for thunderbolt connectivity. But it is more likely some of you may have experience of using it rather than the other 2. The panel is identical to the LG UC87-B linked above.

I currently have a 2 monitor set up using LG IPS235 monitors. I use them for gaming, photo/video editing, and general computing.

My dilemma is that I'm used to IPS and love it for it's colour accuracy. I would like to get the Samsung mainly because it offers 4 USB down ports and I generally prefer Samsung kit. The problem is that (after much googling) the VA panel has few and mixed reviews.

Also would I be better waiting for a 75/100Hz G-sync version to come out (I understand they are likely to be available by the end of the year) Finally I assume my 3GB DDR5 GTX 780 will drive these monitors okay.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks @mr_yogi. I am aware of this monitor it's FreeSync. Apparently the G-sync version is due in a week or 2. Probably at around a grand. The stand is poor construction and I've had really bad experiences with Acer products in the past. So would rather avoid.

Asus is due a ROG monitor with this spec and G-sync but rumour has it will be £1200 or more at launch. I can get a 55" curved 4K TV for close to that price. So more than I'm prepared to pay.

I'm really interested if anyone's had experience with VA monitors.

I owned a hp all in one built into the screen some years ago that was a VA panel and colour wise and sharpness it has to be one of the best screens I've ever owned...

Thanks @bladedripper that's the kind of reassurance I'm looking for. I've had a couple of TN panels and when I changed to IPS I told myself I would never go back. I just don't know about VA or SVA in this case. I've read its supposed to be closer to TN than IPS but with deeper blacks. Ideal for watching movies and a good compromise for gaming as it's possible to have high refresh rates.

Last edited:
I've been through lots of monitors -TN, IPS, VA...but far and away the best has been my Philips 40" 4k VA monitor.

At the time I was also looking a 34" superwide, but the ones available at the time were plagued with backlight bleed and that's something I wasn't prepared to accept. VA panels are awesome in this regard.

Just bought the Samsung S34E790C for £530 on ebuyer (daily deal) - £170 cheaper than most grey imports. Fair chuffed because I nearly pulled the trigger last week at £743 on Amazon. :clap::D

So my Samsung S34E790C arrived yesterday. Along with some other goodies over the past few days.

20150911_124202.jpg

The first thing I noticed. Was that the box had already been opened and alarm bells started to ring. But I needn't have worried. It had only been opened to put a UK 3 pin plug figure 8 power lead in.

So I set this beauty up yesterday afternoon.

20150911_124639.jpg

Most reviews said the picture out the box was meh and they were correct. No problem though it only took me 10 minutes to get the picture the way I like it. The colour reproduction is good but not quite as good as my LG IPS panels. I'll have it calibrated properly later.

20150911_124722.jpg

The curve is actually quite subtile. All in all I'm delighted with this purchase especially as I got it £270 cheaper than the RRP.

I'll be spending the weekend stripping my PC down and upgrading it to a Haswell-E/X99 system with the new components as follows:-

Intel i7 5820K Hex core CPU.
Asus X99 Deluxe ATX Motherboard.
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 (3200 Mhz) RAM.
NZXT Kraken X61 AIO liquid cooler.
Samsung SM951 NVMe M.2 PCIe 512GB SSD (the small circuit board in the white box for those who haven't seen one before). Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7181/samsung-sm951-nvme-2-pcie-256gb-ssd-review/index.html

I'll reuse the parts from my current PC to build a HTPC I've been promising myself for the last 3 years. It'll have to wait for a bit though, as this little lot cost me £1620. :eek::D Next target is a GTX980Ti. :rotfl:

20150911_124202.jpg 20150911_124639.jpg 20150911_124722.jpg

Last edited:
I think that monitor has caused stirrings downstairs. :)

What refresh rate is it?

Hey Greg. It's 60 Hertz on Display port - 50 Hertz on HDMI. Okay for casual gaming, but if you're a big time gamer maybe not for you.

Last edited:
Hey Greg. It's 60 Hertz on Display port - 50 Hertz on HDMI. Okay for casual gaming, but if you're a big time gamer maybe not for you.

Ah okay, thanks. It does look gorgeous but my next monitor will probably be a 1440P 144hz!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom