Samsung One Connect Box and Updates

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Bonoscot, Jul 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Bonoscot

Bonoscot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Guys maybe way off here but im just reading up on the new 2015 One Connect box Vs Older Models.

I have the 2014 model and I am struggling to understand the future updates of this box.

I have not watched a lot of 4k content as yet, I was about to buy the 4k Netflix pack, but will I be able to stream the 4k content to my Samsung 8500?

Also I have only downloaded 4k Youtube videos and played them,but what about future 4k Streaming form youtube? Will I also not be able to do this?

I was not aware nor told when I bought the Tv that I would need to pay about £300 every time a one connect box is released to watch 4k updated content?

Also what about the apps themselves? Youtube? When does this get updated ? for filtering/date added etc etc?

Am I reading this all wrong?

2. cuke2u

cuke2u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I see no reason why your present tv will not be able to play 4k, of course it will. It may not be able to use a uhd 4k player, when they come out later in the year, but netflix and youtube, because they are streaming apps, should work fine.
    There were no uhd standards when your tv was released, so no-one could have guessed at what hardware/software was required. I would wait a while before purchasing a one connectbox just to be sure you will have one fully capable of uhd.

3. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Do you mean you have the SEK-2500U? This was only to upgrade 2013 TV's to 2014 spec. Your HU8500 already has the 2014 UI. The 2014 One Connect will continue to get updates from Samsung, but the new 2015 model (SEK-3500U) is a big change as it uses the brand new Tizen based interface, so it's a total refresh. It will upgrade 2013 S9000 and F9000, and 2014 HU Samsung TV's. It also has an octa-core CPU, more memory, HDMI2/HDCP2.2 etc.

The SEK-2500U does have an HEVC chip, so will playback 4k Netflix fine. It also supports VP9 (used by 4k Youtube), so you should also be ok on that too. Remember though, any streamed 4k content is going to be way inferior to 4k blu-ray when it arrives, but it's all we can get at the moment.

Yes, if you want to get the latest and greatest Samsung Smart features for your TV, you would need to buy a new Evo kit every year, but honestly, even if you bought the SEK-3500U this year, Samsung would be updating it for quite a while with the latest features. I think it's safe to say that the SEK-2500U will not be getting the Tizen UI.

4. Bonoscot

Bonoscot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ok thanks guys , much appreciated..

I will hold off on apurchase till the 4k blu ray machines arrive and so

5. cuke2u

cuke2u

Products Owned: