Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 49" Curved Gaming Monitor Review & Comments

kosch

I had possession of the previous model for a few days as won it in a competition before selling it on but I found the backlighting to be annoying. Hoping with this new version its vastly improved.

peahead

I had possession of the previous model for a few days as won it in a competition before selling it on but I found the backlighting to be annoying. Hoping with this new version its vastly improved.

It's improved yes but far from perfect, a few people on the overclockers forum have one and are experiencing issues with the FALD / HDR working together but hopefully this can be fixed with a new firmware update.

edz87

I've been using this since day 1 launch for my work from home setup, sim racing and gaming. Happy to report that I'm still happy with the purchase despite its price tag and minor issues. Some may argue that you can get pretty much a similar experience with the previous G9 at half the price but for me, the game changer was the adoption of mini LEDs (hence the hefty price). Blacks are truly black, and the colours pop. Watching Netflix on PC monitors no longer feels like a compromise, I'd say it's pretty close to what I see on my Sony XH90 TV.

I'm only running this monitor on a 2060 and it does struggle with newer games if you plan to run everything at max settings. Sim racing (Assetto Corsa Comp/F1 2020) on the other hand doesn't seem to require as much GPU juice to run so it works perfectly fine for my usage. And it's worth noting that this monitor is bright, like insanely bright. Either I'm missing a trick or something but the "Eye Saver" option increases the brightness level to a level which seems to contradict with what it's supposed to do - protect your eyes!

Last edited:

edz87

Some pictures for reference - ignore the "blooming" effect as it's a camera problem, not the monitor. You would usually expect to see some backlight issue under very dark conditions especially for monitors of this size but it looks as black as it can be...

F04C118F-C7C0-4855-851C-C64ACA8942F6.jpeg

Attachments

• 8AEB251D-E67E-4CF2-B009-BDEC90AC55E8.jpeg
    8AEB251D-E67E-4CF2-B009-BDEC90AC55E8.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 173
  • 4FD1C55E-58AA-411D-B675-44167E02DE1B.jpeg
    4FD1C55E-58AA-411D-B675-44167E02DE1B.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 147
  • FF422FC7-0C2E-4D8D-8711-426D49A1115F.jpeg
    FF422FC7-0C2E-4D8D-8711-426D49A1115F.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 183

edz87

I'm not usually a big fan of curved screens either but with such a width, I think it works really well. I used to have two 27" set up but I found myself constantly having to turn my head and the middle bezel was annoying.

The high curvature really does help make the corners clearer and more visible. But I think it's equally important to have the correct viewing distance should anyone considers getting one, as otherwise you'll still find yourself turning your head too much.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
I had one of the older ones and sent it back after using it for an hour. The curve is way too severe, for me even for gaming.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Once you get used to a curve, you won't get back! It really helps with the immersion.

its not so much the insane curve, its how thin (vertically) it is that would put me off

It may look thin, but you quickly get used to it and I think if it was any bigger it might not work as well on the eyes.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Some pictures for reference - ignore the "blooming" effect as it's a camera problem, not the monitor. You would usually expect to see some backlight issue under very dark conditions especially for monitors of this size but it looks as black as it can be...

View attachment 1559428

Out of interest, you look to have it nicely mounted at the back. Is the monitor front aligned with the back of your desk and would you be able to measure roughly how far forward it comes, please?
I had one of the older ones and sent it back after using it for an hour. The curve is way too severe, for me even for gaming.

Yes, the curve is the bit that worries me. I have I guess what is the Pre Pre one in the 49CRG90 and that has a curve of 1800R which I think works really well. I would consider upgrading for the micro LEDs but don't think I could live with the curve as I am on it 8+ hours a day.

its not so much the insane curve, its how thin (vertically) it is that would put me off

It's not though really, it's just due to its 32:9 proportion. It's still as high as a normal 27" monitor so unless you are coming from a 32" monitor or larger it's not going to be any thinner\shorter. If you want tall you are either going to have to go to one of the high res LG 38" with a 1600 vertical resolution or something like the LG CX\C1 48" which be a little bit narrower but taller.

edz87

Out of interest, you look to have it nicely mounted at the back. Is the monitor front aligned with the back of your desk and would you be able to measure roughly how far forward it comes, please?

Yes, the curve is the bit that worries me. I have I guess what is the Pre Pre one in the 49CRG90 and that has a curve of 1800R which I think works really well. I would consider upgrading for the micro LEDs but don't think I could live with the curve as I am on it 8+ hours a day.

It's not though really, it's just due to its 32:9 proportion. It's still as high as a normal 27" monitor so unless you are coming from a 32" monitor or larger it's not going to be any thinner\shorter. If you want tall you are either going to have to go to one of the high res LG 38" with a 1600 vertical resolution or something like the LG CX\C1 48" which be a little bit narrower but taller.
Yes, it’s about 30cm. I personally use this monitor from day till night… work and game. It was a bit odd at first when I gamed with it (tried DOTA as it supported 32:9 ratio) due to distortion at the edges but didn’t take me long until I adjusted and not noticed it much. Sim racing with it is brilliant - much more immersive and wider pov which helps prevent you from knocking cars accidentally to your sides.

I think if you’re too close to the monitor, it may get somewhat uncomfortable - you’ll have to turn your head more often. Text is sharp but you’d probably still want to adjust the text size so you can read comfortably at a distance.

Agree that it’s not actually very thin (vertically), it’s the same height as a standard 27inch 1440p monitor. If it was any taller, I’d probably have to move my head up and down more often that I’d like.

Attachments

• 4C545750-E778-46C9-BB86-335FCEA39D9D.jpeg
    4C545750-E778-46C9-BB86-335FCEA39D9D.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 192

Furnace Inferno

I have the CRG9 (two models prior) and it’s great, biggest issue is the terrible 10 zone backlight, it’s fine for normal gaming with the lights on but with HDR once the backlight is maxed the amount of backlight bleed and glowing blacks is way too much in dark scenes.

I would be tempted by this but for nearly double the price I will hold off, gaming monitors are just ridiculously overpriced.

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 Review has a more comprehensive technical review which shows fairly significant issue with its HDR EOTF tracking too which will need a fix.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I have the CRG9 (two models prior) and it’s great, biggest issue is the terrible 10 zone backlight, it’s fine for normal gaming with the lights on but with HDR once the backlight is maxed the amount of backlight bleed and glowing blacks is way too much in dark scenes.

Yes, that be why I would want to upgrade too.

I would be tempted by this but for nearly double the price I will hold off, gaming monitors are just ridiculously overpriced.

Yep completely agree. A second CRG9 or LG CX 48 (Costco was 848.99 but now out of stock :( ) would be more tempting to me at the moment.

GreyMutton

If I had the space, and the other half would let me, I'm not sure I'd buy this over a CX48. Twice the price but nowhere near twice the performance. However you have ultra WS, the curve (if you like it), usb hub and 240hz (which very few PCs will get near at that Res, outside of R6 siege and CS GO maybe). Also no need to worry about image retention - although with the money you'd save on the CX you can afford to replace it if necessary.

I think I still want one though 😂😂😂

kosch

Comparison of the first gen g9 to my AW3821DW.

20210430_163501.jpg

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
I've been using this since day 1 launch for my work from home setup, sim racing and gaming. Happy to report that I'm still happy with the purchase despite its price tag and minor issues. Some may argue that you can get pretty much a similar experience with the previous G9 at half the price but for me, the game changer was the adoption of mini LEDs (hence the hefty price). Blacks are truly black, and the colours pop. Watching Netflix on PC monitors no longer feels like a compromise, I'd say it's pretty close to what I see on my Sony XH90 TV.

I'm only running this monitor on a 2060 and it does struggle with newer games if you plan to run everything at max settings. Sim racing (Assetto Corsa Comp/F1 2020) on the other hand doesn't seem to require as much GPU juice to run so it works perfectly fine for my usage. And it's worth noting that this monitor is bright, like insanely bright. Either I'm missing a trick or something but the "Eye Saver" option increases the brightness level to a level which seems to contradict with what it's supposed to do - protect your eyes!
If it's pretty close to a Sony xh90 then I'm sorry but that isn't good enough for the huge outlay. I had one of those, I'd purchased it for my ps5 but the black levels and colour shift were appalling and I certainly couldn't live with it.

edz87

Don’t take my word for it… I’d suggest to check it out personally if you can. I don’t want to risk underselling the monitor but I was primarily comparing the blacks in a pitch black room whilst having the tv/monitor on (ie no visible backlight, to my eyes at least…). Colour wise, I think it really depends what sort of content you throw at them as I’ve had great picture quality on XH90 with some content and less so in others. Likewise, it’s the same for this monitor as well (see picture quality for an 8k content streamed on the monitor). There’s definitely less/no blooming on the monitor relative to XH90, as expected since it’s got 2000+ dimming zones compared to just a handful on the XH90. Nevertheless, like many others have mentioned, I don’t think HDR works particularly well, not really sure if it’s a Windows or Samsung or Nvidia issue. I somehow feel the screen looks better without HDR. There are quite a number of settings to mess about that I perhaps haven’t really explored enough to comment on the monitor’s potential.

I’m not the most technical when it comes to these things so can only comment from a normal user’s point of view and my limited exposure to TVs/monitors. I’m just very happy that I don’t have to deal with washed out images anymore while I’m on my PC. Regardless, I’d recommend checking them out personally…

Attachments

• F3414777-CB27-460C-BA91-A1DCBB518C66.jpeg
    F3414777-CB27-460C-BA91-A1DCBB518C66.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 31545B88-D722-4C3C-B2F0-E0CCF9C0DC02.jpeg
    31545B88-D722-4C3C-B2F0-E0CCF9C0DC02.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 119
  • DC0424A5-1757-4524-A99D-A90CF65A6E96.jpeg
    DC0424A5-1757-4524-A99D-A90CF65A6E96.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Kotatsu Neko

I have a ROG PG35VQ myself, which is a "normal" 21:9 35" ultrawide. For me this is the sweet spot. The curve is really there just to correct for perspective when I look to each side of the screen, and it's also not so wide that it would become a chore to use.

I can see huge screens like this Samsung being very immersive (if I imagine very distorted at the sides) for gaming, but next to useless for productivity due to the curve and the amount of neck/eye movement required to take it all in.

Still, an impressive piece of tech and also pretty cheap for what's on offer. Certainly cheaper than my screen was!

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
@Greg Hook or @edz have you noticed any issues with HDR making Windows look dull on SDR content, particularly the wallpaper?

I sort of got used to my CRG9 but I have multiple monitors and I had reenabled HDR on Windows recently. I noticed watching an SDR video how dull it looked. If I watch HDR video on YT then its fine but most of the time I am viewing SDR content.

These aren't mine but give a show a similar issue in-game.

edz87

@Greg Hook or @edz have you noticed any issues with HDR making Windows look dull on SDR content, particularly the wallpaper?

I sort of got used to my CRG9 but I have multiple monitors and I had reenabled HDR on Windows recently. I noticed watching an SDR video how dull it looked. If I watch HDR video on YT then its fine but most of the time I am viewing SDR content.

These aren't mine but give a show a similar issue in-game.
I think when I first switched on HDR, I did see that the colours were off, in the sense that it's not as vivid as before. Then I started tweaking around with the picture settings (eg. the HDR can be set to dynamic or standard which seem to produce different results). Once you've switched on HDR through windows, the monitor automatically defaults to the last set HDR setting on the monitor (dynamic/standard) and I believe retains the last set picture settings (colour, brightness, contrast etc.) for the HDR mode.

With HDR switched on, the SDR content certainly looks miles better than what I had experienced with a Dell HDR S2719DC monitor (i.e. colours were way off). I could certainly leave HDR switched on for this monitor while viewing SDR content though I tend to switch it off, as I have warmer colour settings in SDR mode (to protect my eyes..).

For some reason, watching non-HDR Netflix content via HDR mode doesn't look as good as say, streaming non-HDR Youtube content. Pics attached show how it looks like for Youtube with HDR Dynamic switched on/off. On the non-HDR pic, the colour is warmer because I've intentionally set it in such a way.

I can definitely see that the HDR is doing something when I stream HDR content on Youtube, because as soon as I do full screen mode, the brightness gets cranked up. Once I exit full screen, the brightness level remains high for 1-2s before dimming it down again automatically.

Attachments

• IMG-7829.jpg
    IMG-7829.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG-7830.JPG
    IMG-7830.JPG
    416.8 KB · Views: 87

kosch

I found on the previous model the HDR was not great it seemed to be more of a gimmick. I had tested this with Destiny 2 and a few other titles. Did you calibrate a profile for the display?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar