Samsung Odyssey G7 32" Curved Gaming Monitor Review & Comments

bogart99

Not being a gamer I just read this review as a passing interest. What struck me was why could you calibrate it so much better than Samsung when they have gone to the trouble of doing so?

anantind

Not being a gamer I just read this review as a passing interest. What struck me was why could you calibrate it so much better than Samsung when they have gone to the trouble of doing so?

I have no experience calibrating displays myself, but from what I have read I understand that calibration is an iterative process. Every time you adjust a setting, you can throw something else that you already adjusted out of whack. So you have to go through it several times, getting ever closer to a perfect calibration. Delta error below 3 is supposedly unnoticeable for most people. Samsung have undoubtedly spent just enough time to get the errors low enough, but you can of course knock yourself out attempting to get it even better.

Chamberlain

Not really happy with this monitor, do you have HDR enabled all the time? If not what was your sdr setting?

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer

As the poster above said, the calibration levels have targets such as the delta error of 3. Samsung have calibrated the monitor to within those levels. For users that is all they need and no further calibration is necessary.

I did my own calibration as that is my normal routine.

Kotatsu Neko

That curve will be very distracting for productivity on a 16:9 screen. I have an ultrawide myself which is of course curved, but it's more subtle than that.

Also, the PC HDR debacle continues. 600 nits and a whopping 8 zones of dimming? That's truly pathetic. My screen has 512 zones and 1000nits and it's a festival of bloom when I'm playing anything with a lot of contrast. LCDs are fundamentally garbage for anything which isn't text, and until we get dimming zones up into the tens of thousands that isn't going to change. Mini LED can't come soon enough for PC screens. It's just too bad OLED suffers from burn in, otherwise I'd gladly never buy another LCD as long as I live.

grnnvrzz

Thanks for the review.

I read with interest as I have been looking for a new monitor for a couple of years to replace my HP2475w which I purchased in 2009. I need it for work (microsoft office applications mainly), for console use and for use with a gaming PC. I would like any replacement to be 32", be fast, and have good HDR and ideally 4k. I havent found anything yet that has these functions and is resonably priced. I would like to get a 3080 and possibly a PS5 at some point but I don't think its worth it until i can get a replacement monitor. I am wondering if I should get a stop-gap monitor, which is why this review struck me as interesting, but I don't think this is right even for a stop-gap. Anyone have any suggestions?

bogart99

As the poster above said, the calibration levels have targets such as the delta error of 3. Samsung have calibrated the monitor to within those levels. For users that is all they need and no further calibration is necessary.

I did my own calibration as that is my normal routine.
Right I was just wondering now I know.

GreyMutton

Great to see more gaming stuff on the site and I read this review with interest as I'm eyeing up new monitors after new PC build.
Not sure I could justify over £600 on one though. Also 240hz is overkill for my uses.
I'd be interested to see how this compares to the AOC G1 series or Dell gaming monitors.

captainchats

I’ve been searching for a monitor for ages, I want one with HDMI 2.1 for future console support, proper HDR, 120 HZ. There’s absolutely nothing around and what I’ve seen that is close cost a fortune. I’ve looked at the 48 inch LG oled but I fear that’s too big

grnnvrzz

I’ve been searching for a monitor for ages, I want one with HDMI 2.1 for future console support, proper HDR, 120 HZ. There’s absolutely nothing around and what I’ve seen that is close cost a fortune. I’ve looked at the 48 inch LG oled but I fear that’s too big

Sounds like we are in the same boat then. I guess we just continue to wait.

nicfaz

Great to see more gaming stuff on the site and I read this review with interest as I'm eyeing up new monitors after new PC build.
Not sure I could justify over £600 on one though. Also 240hz is overkill for my uses.
I'd be interested to see how this compares to the AOC G1 series or Dell gaming monitors.

I was in the same boat and eventually settled on the MSI MAG341CQ. Whilst it's "only" 100Hz, it's 34" ultrawide and 3440 x 1440, so my PC isn't going to be able to push that to more than 100 FPS anyway. Plus it's quite a lot cheaper that some of the more esoteric alternatives (I got mine for ~£420).

I was a sceptic, but 34" of ultrawide and a decent VA panel makes a very acceptable stop-gap until someone releases a compelling HDMI 2.1 / HDR capable monitor. Ultrawide does make games more immersive and whilst the panel doesn't do HDR, it has good black levels and is very responsive.

GreyMutton

I was in the same boat and eventually settled on the MSI MAG341CQ. Whilst it's "only" 100Hz, it's 34" ultrawide and 3440 x 1440, so my PC isn't going to be able to push that to more than 100 FPS anyway. Plus it's quite a lot cheaper that some of the more esoteric alternatives (I got mine for ~£420).

I was a sceptic, but 34" of ultrawide and a decent VA panel makes a very acceptable stop-gap until someone releases a compelling HDMI 2.1 / HDR capable monitor. Ultrawide does make games more immersive and whilst the panel doesn't do HDR, it has good black levels and is very responsive.
Yeah I'd looked at ultrawides, as they do interest me, but my desk is only a metre wide. I reckon I could get a regular 32 inch screen on there but that probably the upper limit.
Leaning towards the AOC or a Dell.... Although the other half is getting it for my Xmas so I'll get what I'm given!

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Cheers for the review. I was wondering any chance of doing the alien pursuit test?

Are you talking about the ghosting test?
If so, then yes I did do that and it was one of the best I've seen.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Ah great, were you able to take any photo's during the test for reference?

I don't have the high speed equipment to do that unfortunately. Just my eyes!

colinstone

I've got the Samsung 49RG90 49" Curved LED Gaming Monitor 5120 x 1440 for motor racing gaming. Just brilliant. It is 1800R, so I look forward to the Galaxy 49" 1000R review.

MattRScosworth

Think it was Monday mate, the update adds a option in the osd called vrr you turn that on with g-sync and the flicker goes there brilliant monitors. I had the LG 850 before the Samsung I was so annoyed with the flicker,as you can imagine im pushing 3 of them with a 2080ti so never going to get even 144hz so g-sync was help. Now they have sorted this issue I think there a brilliant buy

MattRScosworth

Still got my wires to sort out

Attachments

• E6C8746A-AB4B-4A73-8754-963517BF9915.jpeg
    E6C8746A-AB4B-4A73-8754-963517BF9915.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 200

Snap2142

Novice Member
Hi I would like some advise I currently have a Predator 34a 3440x1440 ultra wide but it is only capable of 100mhz I have recently bagged a RTX3080 and am wondering if I will benefit from the much higher refresh rate of the G7 , Also I tend to game from approx 1mt distance would that still be fine given the G7's large curve.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thank you

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers