Samsung NX100 or Olympus E-PL1 for a beginner

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by darthmauler, Aug 1, 2012.

1. darthmauler

darthmauler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I am looking for a beginners camera to get involved in taking some more photos.

To date my wife and I have been using a 6 year old Sony Cybershot or her iPhone 4S or my Samsung Galaxy S II.

We were thinking about spending £500 or so on a camera but were unsure what to buy.

We ordered a deal the other day due for delivery today. It was a Samsung NX100 with accessories (flash, case, memory card) for £169.99. At that price we felt it would be an amazing step up from what we have and a great entry into photography.

My local Argos also has a deal on at the moment. They have an Olympus PEN E-PL1 for £185 (plus case and memory card)

Are we better off with the Olympus? Is the difference between them down to personal preference? One thing that swung us towards the Samsung is it seems to be easier to use and any reviews have commented on how bad the Olympus menus are.

2. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Those two cameras were OK in their time but are now somewhat dated and hence why they are being sold off cheap; albeit they are fantastic bargains. When it comes to photography equipment you do really get what you pay for and if your budget is £500 then I would look in that price bracket as there are far more options and much better cameras to choose from.

For example, £500 will get you a decent starter DSLR and kit lens (e.g. Canon 550D) or a good micro 4/3rds camera such as a Panasonic GX1 or G3 with kit lens if you want something smaller. These have full manual controls for when you progress but also full auto modes if you just want to point and shoot.

The Panasonic GX1 with kit lens is a great little camera and can be had for £450 less £50 cashback, which would leave you £100 for a small bag, camera cards, etc. There is also the Sony NEX5N, same price £450 less £50 cash-back. The Sony is a bit quirky from an ergonomics perspective as the lens is unusually large in comparison to the body.

Best thing is to get down to a camera shop and try things out. There are very few dud cameras these days and it becomes more an issue of how the camera feels, etc.

If you only want to spend sub £200 and that's your limit then you probably won't do better than the Samsung NX100 that you've got. Spend more though and as with most things in life you will get a much better product.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  3. darthmauler

darthmauler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Going to go with one of these for the moment. Unsure what sort of photography we are going to be more interested in at this stage. The idea is to have a play with one of these for a while and then make a longer term buying decision based on our needs.

4. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    On that basis, can't disagree with your decision :smashin:

5. darthmauler

darthmauler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Any recommendation of one over the other?