Samsung Nvme 950 pro ( very slow speeds )

Hmm I'm wondering if you mobo is not seeing it as NVMe device. Which might mean another setting in BIOS is not set correctly. Check the SATA configuration in peripherals.

Here's some shots of my bios. If I go into NVME it's empty.

20170117_185807.jpg
20170117_185907.jpg
20170117_185914.jpg

I take it the drive is visible in the boot priority menu.

You want to be looking for something like onboard devices. Try under chipset.

Only other thing I can think of checking is the PCIe slots configuration.

If you can, change both Windows 8/10 features and Storage boot option Control to UEFI.

Beat me to it Boltlock. CSM Support should be set to Enabled. also in Miscellaneous Settings. Max Link Speed should be set to auto.

If you can, change both Windows 8/10 features and Storage boot option Control to UEFI.

Thanks, I've changed Windows 8/10 features from other OS to Windows 8/10 and Storage boot option to UEFI. Windows seems to boot a few seconds quicker, but Crystaldisk still not any faster.

image.jpg

Beat me to it Boltlock. CSM Support should be set to Enabled. also in Miscellaneous Settings. Max Link Speed should be set to auto.

Checked those and they are set as you suggested.

After changing the settings my BIOS features screen now looks like this:
The boot options now only shows Windows boot manager and not the SSD as it did earlier.

image.jpg

Thanks, I've changed Windows 8/10 features from other OS to Windows 8/10 and Storage boot option to UEFI. Windows seems to boot a few seconds quicker, but Crystaldisk still not any faster.

View attachment 812880

It's a shame I'm not more familiar with your BIOS as it's probably something really simple that just needs enabling. You've looked for PCI-E/DMI settings? They're probably really well hidden somewhere. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about Boot Manager, as long as your PC boots that's all that matters. If you installed Windows without any other drives connected, then the BM will be on the correct drive.

It's a shame I'm not more familiar with your BIOS as it's probably something really simple that just needs enabling. You've looked for PCI-E/DMI settings? They're probably really well hidden somewhere. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about Boot Manager, as long as your PC boots that's all that matters. If you installed Windows without any other drives connected, then the BM will be on the correct drive.

Thanks for the help, even though it's not as fast as it should be, by changing those settings it at least boots very fast now, whereas before it took a few more seconds than it should do.

I'm currently scouring the net for info on my board, the Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z170 and problems others are having with an NVME drive.

It's almost like the motherboard just doesn't see it correctly and running it at 2x the speed.

I was getting 1800mb/s read and 800mb/s write until I downloaded the latest drivers off the Samsung website.

Now running 2203mb/s read and 945mb/s write.

Thanks for the help, even though it's not as fast as it should be, by changing those settings it at least boots very fast now, whereas before it took a few more seconds than it should do.

I'm currently scouring the net for info on my board, the Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z170 and problems others are having with an NVME drive.

It's almost like the motherboard just doesn't see it correctly and running it at 2x the speed.

Yeah that's what it looked like to me.

Had a look through the online manual for your motherboard. Have to say it's not the most comprehensive manual I've ever seen. Might be time to raise a troubleshooting ticket with Gigabyte because frankly with UEFI it should be plug and play. There is a setting in BIOS that recognises Windows 8/10 which might help, but I think you enabled that.

Otherwise I'd start from default settings. Removing any OC profile both for CPU and RAM and start again. How did you install Windows 10? If it was from a UEFI enabled USB stick then I'm out of ideas other than N0ddie's suggestion of updating the Samsung drivers which I assumed you had done already.

Yeah that's what it looked like to me.

Had a look through the online manual for your motherboard. Have to say it's not the most comprehensive manual I've ever seen. Might be time to raise a troubleshooting ticket with Gigabyte because frankly with UEFI it should be plug and play. There is a setting in BIOS that recognises Windows 8/10 which might help, but I think you enabled that.

Otherwise I'd start from default settings. Removing any OC profile both for CPU and RAM and start again. How did you install Windows 10? If it was from a UEFI enabled USB stick then I'm out of ideas

I've got no OC profile on anything, the system is pretty stock. Windows 10 was installed from an official MS USB.

other than N0ddie's suggestion of updating the Samsung drivers which I assumed you had done already.

I'd not assume anything there. :D:blush:
I'll load the drivers tonight and see what happens.

Installed the Samsung drivers but it is no different. In the device manager, when I look at the drivers for the drive it still says Microsoft for some reason.

My question to Gigabyte Support:
I am having trouble with my Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z170 and my Samsung 256GB 950 Pro NVME SSD.

Windows is all installed and working correctly on the NVME drive (it's the only drive in the PC), but the NVME drive does not show in the BIOS. Under the NVME section it is blank.

Could you advise the issue here? Is there a correct BIOS setting I need to change to get the drive to show up?

The NVME drive is not operating at the correct speed according to the likes of CrystalDiskMark.

Many Thanks

Their response (within a few hours to be fair, but don't really understand what they are saying)
The drive will be listed in "Save and Exit" --> "Boot Override".

For the speed test:

1. Disable all C-state under BIOS

2. Set "High Performance" under Windows Control Panel --> System and Security --> Power Option.

3. Modify the setting under Crystal Disk Mark

crystal disk mark > setting > test data > all 0x00

Doesn't make any sense to me either.

I guess my biggest confusion is the display of the drive. In my BIOS my SSD shows as a Samsung SM951 SSD in UEFI mode in the Boot Priority tab, In the NVMe section it shows as a M.2 device. The PCIe section in BIOS it also shows the M.2 port as being enabled and active and running at PCIe 3.0 x4. Sorry that might not be entirely accurate as I'm going by memory as I'm not at home. Maybe Boltlock can confirm as I think he has an ASUS X99 board as well.

The drivers might well be based on the original Microsoft Hot Fix from August 2015.

The BIOS change is a bit vague. All I can suggest is try to follow the instructions and see what happens. Also the same with the windows settings.

Wrt Crystal Disk I'm not sure what they are trying to do other than ensure the test is zeroed before starting .

Otherwise reformat the SSD and reinstall Windows 10 ensuring you BIOS sees the Microsoft USB stick as a UEFI device. If it doesn't - create one. There are plenty of instruction videos on YouTube that'll show you how. Set the BIOS to factory settings and start again. Good luck.

Doesn't make any sense to me either.

I guess my biggest confusion is the display of the drive. In my BIOS my SSD shows as a Samsung SM951 SSD in UEFI mode in the Boot Priority tab, In the NVMe section it shows as a M.2 device. The PCIe section in BIOS it also shows the M.2 port as being enabled and active and running at PCIe 3.0 x4. Sorry that might not be entirely accurate as I'm going by memory as I'm not at home. Maybe Boltlock can confirm as I think he has an ASUS X99 board as well.

The drivers might well be based on the original Microsoft Hot Fix from August 2015.

The BIOS change is a bit vague. All I can suggest is try to follow the instructions and see what happens. Also the same with the windows settings.

Wrt Crystal Disk I'm not sure what they are trying to do other than ensure the test is zeroed before starting .

Otherwise reformat the SSD and reinstall Windows 10 ensuring you BIOS sees the Microsoft USB stick as a UEFI device. If it doesn't - create one. There are plenty of instruction videos on YouTube that'll show you how. Set the BIOS to factory settings and start again. Good luck.

These are my BIOS settings that I've used. I've also noticed that the 960 isn't showing any place either, but it must be active as it's running ok. It may be that @Greg Hook has to do what @sykotik has ended up doing, and use an AIC in one of the PCI slots instead.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg

Thanks Boltlock. It's a X99 Deluxe board I've got (not ROG) and the BIOS looks different but it's not far off what yours shows. Hope that helps Greg.

As far as having to use a PCIe adapter card. That shouldn't be the case as the Z170 chipset is designed to accept M.2 NVMe drives with M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 interface giving the full 32Gb/s bandwidth. Gregs clearly not getting that. Plus his mobo user manual talks about NVMe with full PCIe x4 support.

Thanks Boltlock. It's a X99 Deluxe board I've got (not ROG) and the BIOS looks different but it's not far off what yours shows. Hope that helps Greg.

As far as having to use a PCIe adapter card. That shouldn't be the case as the Z170 chipset is designed to accept M.2 NVMe drives with M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 interface giving the full 32Gb/s bandwidth. Gregs clearly not getting that. Plus his mobo user manual talks about NVMe with full PCIe x4 support.

I've no idea mate as I've never had that particular chipset. You would think if it has an M.2 slot onboard, that it would just work OOTB so to speak. I know different CPU's have a different number of lanes but I wouldn't have thought it would apply here as Greg's not running SLI (unless he is and I've got it all wrong lol :laugh: ).

I've no idea mate as I've never had that particular chipset. You would think if it has an M.2 slot onboard, that it would just work OOTB so to speak. I know different CPU's have a different number of lanes but I wouldn't have thought it would apply here as Greg's not running SLI (unless he is and I've got it all wrong lol :laugh: ).

Yeah you would have thought. :rolleyes:

My understanding is the Z170 chipset provides 20 lanes with a i7 6700K CPU So enough for a single GPU at PCIe x16 and a PCIe x4 SSD.

Iv got to agree with moonbean here , if i had the z170 i would hope/want that the mobo supports NVMe , and wouldn't be happy if it didn't give me the option to have to full 32gb speed that the NVMe can and should deliver.

not sure if this is any use ( as this is beyond me now ) but i have the option to set what each PICe slot outputs , at the moment i have mine set "auto" so it's running at x8 by x8
but i can change mine to either x16 x0 or x8 x8
so if greg has 3 PICe slots, maybe there are configured wrong ( if this is possible )
which is why he's not getting the right "lanes" in which the M.2 should be using.
or i could be taking a whole load sh!te here . ( most likely )

I think we have already covered PCIe slot configuration with Greg.

My 5 year old P8Z68 board allows different slot configurations so I'd be astounded if a Z170 doesn't. Can't say I've ever heard you talking "sh!te" on this forum sykotik. ;):rotfl:

None of us knows everything about this very complex subject. :rolleyes::D

Thanks all for the continued help. The NVME section in the bios is blank and looking around this is where all the settings for the NVME drive are. So it is almost like the BIOS sees it as a plain old SSD and not an NVME drive.

Windows now boots pretty fast, but clearly the drive isn't running as fast as it can. I'll probably leave it for now and when I do a periodic format and reinstall of the OS, I'll have another stab at it.

I've read no end of issues with Gigabyte motherboards, I definitely won't be getting one of those again!

Just one other thing, I'm using F03 BIOS and there is a later F04 and now F20 (for the new CPUs).
It doesn't say F04 fixes anything like NVME issues, but it is always worth having the latest BIOS version?

Thanks all for the continued help. The NVME section in the bios is blank and looking around this is where all the settings for the NVME drive are. So it is almost like the BIOS sees it as a plain old SSD and not an NVME drive.

Windows now boots pretty fast, but clearly the drive isn't running as fast as it can. I'll probably leave it for now and when I do a periodic format and reinstall of the OS, I'll have another stab at it.

I've read no end of issues with Gigabyte motherboards, I definitely won't be getting one of those again!

Just one other thing, I'm using F03 BIOS and there is a later F04 and now F20 (for the new CPUs).
It doesn't say F04 fixes anything like NVME issues, but it is always worth having the latest BIOS version?

Yeah you definitely want the latest BIOS where possible mate. Even though it may not say what's been fixed, there's bound to be something that's been sorted even if it's just stability or suchlike.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom