Samsung Nvme 950 pro ( very slow speeds )

Sorry moonbean , just seen this reply .
it's the z97 , but it will only produce "upto" 10G/bs on the M.2 slot ( that's what it is telling me in the manual for the mobo )
hence the reason in me buying the ASUS add in card .
i have the latest bios ,
yea it's w10 ,
haven't seen anything about "controller" for the NVMe will have a look ( but it's been working for the past year , so something must be right for it work ( all tho not at it's full speed for the 950 which should be at about 2500MB/s

the 1st PCIe slot is set to x16 and the 2nd is set to x8

but will to not change to them both x8 when i add the addin card ?

Looks like your M.2 option is 10Gb/s only (using a AHCI interface). Fine for SATA SSD's but no use to you for NVMe. So you are doing the right thing the PCIe card is your only option to get the 32Gb/s that 4 PCIe lanes can give you. I'm not that familiar with MSI mobo's but I would expect you will have to switch to a PCIe x8 3.0 set up for slots 1 and 3 (or equivalent) or 8, 4, 4 depending on your set up.

Another issue might be your system accepting the SSD as a C: drive I know that's been an issue with some Z97 boards. There are work arounds but we'll worry about that if and when it's needed.

Looks like your M.2 option is 10Gb/s only (using a AHCI interface). Fine for SATA SSD's but no use to you for NVMe. So you are doing the right thing the PCIe card is your only option to get the 32Gb/s that 4 PCIe lanes can give you. I'm not that familiar with MSI mobo's but I would expect you will have to switch to a PCIe x8 3.0 set up for slots 1 and 3 (or equivalent) or 8, 4, 4 depending on your set up.

Another issue might be your system accepting the SSD as a C: drive I know that's been an issue with some Z97 boards. There are work arounds but we'll worry about that if and when it's needed.
That could prove useful about PCIe slots , how i may have to change to X8 , i noticed that earlier on whilst looking in the bios ,
so if windows can't see the drive while it is in PCIe instead the M.2 port
i'll then know i will have to change the PCIe's to X8 .

as for windows using it as the C drive , it's been using for a year now , so that shouldn't be a problem .

That could prove useful about PCIe slots , how i may have to change to X8 , i noticed that earlier on whilst looking in the bios ,
so if windows can't see the drive while it is in PCIe instead the M.2 port
i'll then know i will have to change the PCIe's to X8 .

as for windows using it as the C drive , it's been using for a year now , so that shouldn't be a problem .

Windows is seeing it as a SATA drive. That's why I'm saying you might have problems. As I said let's worry about it if or when it becomes an issue.

Windows is seeing it as a SATA drive. That's why I'm saying you might have problems. As I said let's worry about it if or when it becomes an issue.
Ok cheers fella ,
hopefully it will come early tomorrow and don't have to many problems ( if any at all )
but you'll be the first that i turn too :D

and for some reason in the list of sata ports and M.2 port , the M.2 port says empty !!! sata ports 1, 2 and 4 are been populated tho, which is correct ,
strange, very strange
That looks correct though? You're using an NVMe M.2 drive, not a SATA M.2 drive, so it shouldn't appear under the SATA list. When you have something plugged into the M.2 slot, you typical lose one of your SATA ports regardless of the M.2 type.

That looks correct though? You're using an NVMe M.2 drive, not a SATA M.2 drive, so it shouldn't appear under the SATA list. When you have something plugged into the M.2 slot, you typical lose one of your SATA ports regardless of the M.2 type.
I did i bit more reading last night , and noticed a few other people from other website have said the same about not seeing the M.2 port been listed ( or showing up as empty) , so i guess is just the way it is on z97 mobo's .
on my board if i have an M.2 drive fitted i lose the 5th and 6th sata port .

Is this in the M.2 slot or with a hyper M.2 addon card ( or some thing like it ) in the 2nd PCIe slot ?

That's not right Greg. Looks like you are on 2 PCIe lanes. You have a Z170 mobo so it should be set up for NVMe check the settings in BIOS.

Thanks, it's in the M.2 slot. I had a brief look through the BIOS settings yesterday after I posted my results and couldn't find the right one. It's a Gigabyte G.1 Sniper Z170. I'll have to do a bit of checking to see where the setting is.

I did i bit more reading last night , and noticed a few other people from other website have said the same about not seeing the M.2 port been listed ( or showing up as empty) , so i guess is just the way it is on z97 mobo's .
on my board if i have an M.2 drive fitted i lose the 5th and 6th sata port .

Are you sure you have the latest BIOS installed. Also make sure the drive is assigned as GPT not MBR in windows.
Thanks, it's in the M.2 slot. I had a brief look through the BIOS settings yesterday after I posted my results and couldn't find the right one. It's a Gigabyte G.1 Sniper Z170. I'll have to do a bit of checking to see where the setting is.

It should be plug and play for you. Make sure the drive is configured as GPT and not MBR.

Are you sure you have the latest BIOS installed. Also make sure the drive is assigned as GPT not MBR in windows.
Yes mate , i'v just take a look a on the MSI website , dl'd the latest bios , and it matchers the same one that i have installed ,
As for GPT , yes that's what assigned when installing W10
GPT.jpg

Any ways the ASUS card has come ,and so it work straight out of the box . didn't have to do anything except plug in ,
1st test :
3rd test  with hyper card.jpg

2nd test :
4th test with hyper card.jpg

The "writes " seem to be a bit low compared to others around the net .
but the "reads" are about what i expected .

do you think it worth re-installing W10 again , ? or just leave as is seen as it is working ?

That's a big improvement sykotik but still doesn't seem quite right. Personally I would always reinstall windows when making configuration changes.

That's a big improvement sykotik but still doesn't seem quite right. Personally I would always reinstall windows when making configuration changes.
Do you know what , im going to agree with you here ,
just noticed in the boot option in the bios i have two "windows boot managers"
if i remove the other samsung ssd that i have in the PC and look again, it then shows me that i only have one "windows boot manager"
so some thing is quite right there too , if i remember i think i had W10 installed onto the older sammy ssd , so it could be still picking that up as a boot option , any ways im rambling.......:rolleyes:

going to save the games i have on the other sammy ssd , wipe it clean unplug all other drives and re-install windows .:smashin:
( wish me luck )

It should be plug and play for you. Make sure the drive is configured as GPT and not MBR.

I presume that can be found in computer management similar to Sykotik's screenshot above? Is it an easy setting to change or does Windows need reinstalling?

I presume that can be found in computer management similar to Sykotik's screenshot above? Is it an easy setting to change or does Windows need reinstalling?

Edit: deleted.

Sorry no need to do all that. you can also see it in Disk Management. Right click the M.2 drive click properties and it will show on the Volumes tab. I expect yours to be GPT. It can be changed without losing data.

Last edited:
Yes mate , i'v just take a look a on the MSI website , dl'd the latest bios , and it matchers the same one that i have installed ,
As for GPT , yes that's what assigned when installing W10
View attachment 812279

Any ways the ASUS card has come ,and so it work straight out of the box . didn't have to do anything except plug in ,
1st test :
View attachment 812282
2nd test :
View attachment 812283
The "writes " seem to be a bit low compared to others around the net .
but the "reads" are about what i expected .
Don't worry - I get those sorts of figures as well on a few CrystalMark runs.

Run the Samsung Magic software and do a performance test there. It should show you the 2.5GB/s read and 1.5GB/s write. Then run the CrystalMark test again.

New install
and ran a test :
cyc test.jpg

not much has changed . the "reads" are up, but the"writes" are the same

A little off topic here, but how do i ,can i
point windows to were i have games installed from the store ,
i have gears of war 4 and forza horizon 3 on an other drive ( not the C drive)

is it as simple as as what steam is were i can redirect to were the file/folder is and it will find/discover and it and sort it self out , without the need of re-downloading the whole game .
i haven't tired it yet , as im redownloading bf4.

Edit: deleted.

Sorry no need to do all that. you can also see it in Disk Management. Right click the M.2 drive click properties and it will show on the Volumes tab. I expect yours to be GPT. It can be changed without losing data.

I've checked that and it is showing GPT partition style. Is that correct?

I've checked that and it is showing GPT partition style. Is that correct?

Yes. I thought it would, just wanted to make sure.

There should be a setting in BIOS specifically for NVMe, AHCI and RAID controllers.

The only other thing I can think of is what sykotik ran into and that is another drive also designated as a boot manager. Having said that when I had that issue my PC wouldn't boot at all in W7 with conflict errors being displayed. Plus as yours is a new rig built from scratch it's unlikely that would be an issue.

Yes. I thought it would, just wanted to make sure.

There should be a setting in BIOS specifically for NVMe, AHCI and RAID controllers.

The only other thing I can think of is what sykotik ran into and that is another drive also designated as a boot manager. Having said that when I had that issue my PC wouldn't boot at all in W7 with conflict errors being displayed. Plus as yours is a new rig built from scratch it's unlikely that would be an issue.

There is a section for NVMe in the BIOS, but when I go into it, it is empty.
This is the only drive I have in this PC.

Well everything is up and running again , all drives installed for the 950 pro and after a few tests it's coming up with the same results as above , which on whole is a good thing as it is reading 3 times as fast as it was ,
installed bf4 on to it , and guess what i can kill some feckers now :D.

There is a section for NVMe in the BIOS, but when I go into it, it is empty.
This is the only drive I have in this PC.

Hmm I'm wondering if you mobo is not seeing it as NVMe device. Which might mean another setting in BIOS is not set correctly. Check the SATA configuration in peripherals.

Hmm I'm wondering if you mobo is not seeing it as NVMe device. Which might mean another setting in BIOS is not set correctly. Check the SATA configuration in peripherals.

Thanks, I'll check tonight and see what is going on in that area.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom