Samsung Nvme 950 pro ( very slow speeds )

moonbeam120

I understand your frustration and if it does the job fair enough.

It took me weeks to get my 951 running on a, X99 motherboard with Windows 7 that initially didn't support it. So - with zero help from Samsung tech support, 2 Intel NVMe drivers, 2 BIOS updates and finally a Microsoft Hot Fix I finally got it running. But even then it was unstable and occasionally would refuse to boot with "Disk errors" among the faults being displayed.

When I inadvertently allowed the W10 upgrade most of the issues disappeared. I'm still not a big fan of W10 but it does the job and is getting better. Although it is crap for media work and still doesn't recognise my 200 quid capture card. :mad::thumbsdow

boltlock

Distinguished Member
I understand your frustration and if it does the job fair enough.

It took me weeks to get my 951 running on a, X99 motherboard with Windows 7 that initially didn't support it. So - with zero help from Samsung tech support, 2 Intel NVMe drivers, 2 BIOS updates and finally a Microsoft Hot Fix I finally got it running. But even then it was unstable and occasionally would refuse to boot with "Disk errors" among the faults being displayed.

When I inadvertently allowed the W10 upgrade most of the issues disappeared. I'm still not a big fan of W10 but it does the job and is getting better. Although it is crap for media work and still doesn't recognise my 200 quid capture card. :mad::thumbsdow

It just goes to show how finicky computers can be. I put the M.2 drive in the socket, booted up, installed drivers and was getting over 30Gb/s straight away. In fact, the part that took the longest was removing and refitting the GPU's as the socket is behind them.

There doesn't seem to be any logic as to why it works on one system, yet doesn't want to play ball on another. [emoji848]

moonbeam120

It just goes to show how finicky computers can be. I put the M.2 drive in the socket, booted up, installed drivers and was getting over 30Gb/s straight away. In fact, the part that took the longest was removing and refitting the GPU's as the socket is behind them.

There doesn't seem to be any logic as to why it works on one system, yet doesn't want to play ball on another. [emoji848]

This all happened September - October 2015 about 6 months or so before the 950 Pro was released. The SM951 is an enterprise product and was initially intended for high end notebook OEMs. I was one of the first to get hold of one in the UK. So I was on my own and expected problems. :rolleyes:;)

boltlock

Distinguished Member
This all happened September - October 2015 about 6 months or so before the 950 Pro was released. The SM951 is an enterprise product and was initially intended for high end notebook OEMs. I was one of the first to get hold of one in the UK. So I was on my own and expected problems. :rolleyes:;)

Lol I didn't mean you specifically mate, I was talking about computers in general. :)

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Since installing the Samsung drivers (or trying to as Windows says it's still using MS drivers), twice it has booted up but frozen on the desktop. Nothing will respond and I have to manually hold the power button on the case to turn it off. It had never done this until I installed the Samsung drivers. It restarts fine, but I don't want this to be a regular annoyance.

EDIT: I've checked and the Samsung driver has installed correctly as it is showing 'Samsung NVMe Controller' under Storage Controllers in Device Manager. This is correct according to the Samsung installation guide.

I'll try updating the bios and see what happens.

Last edited:

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
OK updated BIOS installed and no change.

Still getting the freeze when it boots up, it boots ok to desktop, then after about 2 seconds locks up and I have to do a hard reset. After that it is ok. Nothing in event viewer either for it.

boltlock

Distinguished Member
OK updated BIOS installed and no change.

Still getting the freeze when it boots up, it boots ok to desktop, then after about 2 seconds locks up and I have to do a hard reset. After that it is ok. Nothing in event viewer either for it.

Have you got Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 installed?

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
That's an update that's required so you may want to get it installed.

It's already there apparently:

Details

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is already a part of this operating system. You do not need to install the .NET Framework 4.5 redistributable.

Same or higher version of .NET Framework 4.5 has already been installed on this computer.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Did you also install Samsung Magician as part of the drive installation?

I installed that earlier today.

mag.png

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
If you click on system compatibility at the bottom, it normally shows up any issues.

Thanks, done that and it says no reported issues.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Googling this issue, it seems some had this freezing issue with the previous Samsung driver and uninstalling it and going back to stock NVME driver fixed it. The latest driver was supposed to have fixed it but guess it didn't. Not ideal, but if this freezing keeps happening I might uninstall the Samsung drivers.

boltlock

Distinguished Member
The only thing I can think of for your slow speeds then, is the fact you've nearly filled it. As you fill them, solid state drives do tend to run at reduced speeds.

I agree with the removing of drivers if it helps with the freezing issue though.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
The only thing I can think of for your slow speeds then, is the fact you've nearly filled it. As you fill them, solid state drives do tend to run at reduced speeds.

I agree with the removing of drivers if it helps with the freezing issue though.

Never even thought of that. I must grab my 500GB SSD out of my old computer but I'm keeping it there as a backup, but must take the plunge one day!

boltlock

Distinguished Member
Never even thought of that. I must grab my 500GB SSD out of my old computer but I'm keeping it there as a backup, but must take the plunge one day!

You may have to wait until your next reinstall of Windows then, to really find out.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Philips unveils A7507 TWS headphones and new rugged outdoor speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips FB1 soundbar will use Fidelio wireless platform
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips announces OLED807 and 8807 The One TVs for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lenco launches 400 series turntable and speaker combo