Samsung Nvme 950 pro ( very slow speeds )

sykotik

Distinguished Member
So i decided to run a benchmark on my nvme samsung 950 pro drive
only to see it's running very slow ,
1st test :
1st test.jpg

2nd test :
2nd test.jpg

It should be round about 2500 MB/s mark
speed samsung 950 pro benchmark - Google Search
after looking around on the net , iv come across this :
950 pro speed - [Solved] - Storage - Tom's Hardware
basically saying that my m.2 port is only running at x2 @ 10 G/bs instead of x4 @32 G/bs
as the z97 mobos don't support the full fat 32Gb/s

so it looks like i need one of these , Asus Hyper M.2 X4 PCI-E Mini Adapter Card - Black PCB

now what i need to know is , can i just fit hyper m.2 PCIe card in the pc and will i still be able to boot into windows ?
or do i have install w10 all over again ?
will see any performance drops from my GPU seen as im now using the 2nd PCIe slot ?
if so , i'll just leave the pc as is , and not bother about the adaptor .

cough " @boltlock "cough;)

Last edited:

moonbeam120

What motherboard do you have. As some do and some don't. It can depend on what configuration you set you PCIe slots to. Do you have the latest BIOS version for your mobo?

Edit: Also do you have the controller set to NVMe in BIOS? I'm also assuming you are using W10.

Last edited:

boltlock

Distinguished Member
Seriously though, I've only been using mine to see if it works ok. It's in the M.2 slot but I can't see it being an issue if you put it on an add-in card. You may need a driver if anything at all.

As regards your slow speeds, have you got the latest driver from Samsung? Someone on OC.net said something similar to what you've found from THW, that their mobo just couldn't handle the full M.2 bandwidth. Not sure why that would be the case though. :confused:

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Seriously though, I've only been using mine to see if it works ok. It's in the M.2 slot but I can't see it being an issue if you put it on an add-in card. You may need a driver if anything at all.

As regards your slow speeds, have you got the latest driver from Samsung? Someone on OC.net said something similar to what you've found from THW, that their mobo just couldn't handle the full M.2 bandwidth. Not sure why that would be the case though. :confused:
As far as a i know i do have the latest drivers , i did a check on the samsung website , but it told me there was limit to how many downloads are given out ( **** knows what that is all about )
will try again tomorrow ,

i can see the add on card working as there have been a few people using it now ,
the only thing that concerns me is , whether or not i will have to install windows all over again .

im going to ordered the add on card it's only £20 so no big deal.
i just hope i don't have to install w10 again .

boltlock

Distinguished Member
As far as a i know i do have the latest drivers , i did a check on the samsung website , but it told me there was limit to how many downloads are given out ( **** knows what that is all about )
will try again tomorrow ,

i can see the add on card working as there have been a few people using it now ,
the only thing that concerns me is , whether or not i will have to install windows all over again .

im going to ordered the add on card it's only £20 so no big deal.
i just hope i don't have to install w10 again .

I know installing Windows is a bit of a ball-ache but if it means getting your drive working at full speed, I'm sure you'll think it was worth it. In this scenario, you're going to have to bite the bullet at least once to confirm/deny if the AIC makes any difference. Yes it may work out of the box (hopefully) but if not, without a reinstall you'll never really know. :)

Here's the latest driver from Samsung anyway. :smashin:

Dropbox - Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_21.zip

sykotik

Distinguished Member
I know installing Windows is a bit of a ball-ache but if it means getting your drive working at full speed, I'm sure you'll think it was worth it. In this scenario, you're going to have to bite the bullet at least once to confirm/deny if the AIC makes any difference. Yes it may work out of the box (hopefully) but if not, without a reinstall you'll never really know. :)

Here's the latest driver from Samsung anyway. :smashin:

Dropbox - Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_21.zip
I agree and will install windows if it means getting 950 working as intended,
( i'm just been lazy that's all :blush:)
i think i bought the drive a good 6 months ago, lets have a look

No a year ago, 10th jan 2016 :eek: :eek::eek::eek:

so all this time iv been thinking iv got a super fast M.2 ssd , and it's hasn't even been working properly :facepalm: :blush:
wish i'd tried this earlier in the week , iv been off all week , could of had it done within a day or two now i'll have to wait till Tuesday :facepalm:

thanks for the drivers , i'll dl when im on PC :thumbsup:

sykotik

Distinguished Member
One thing I forgot to ask, have you got AHCI and UEFI enabled in BIOS?
Yes mate i have , if i remember correctly i had a bit of a problem when first installing the drive ,
Last year :rolleyes:

but since then i had installed windows a few times , ( gpu problems) so it shouldn't take that long to get it back up and running :smashin:

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Ordered , it's coming tomorrow using amazon ( with prime trial ) cheaper and quicker than OCUK

boltlock

Distinguished Member
If it's not too much trouble, try running everything at stock just to rule out any overclock issues.

ArmitageShanks

Could also be overheating which will result in the drive clocking down. Check the drive temps...

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Could also be overheating which will result in the drive clocking down. Check the drive temps...
Could be "as well"
but iv looked in the manual for my mobo , and it clearly states that the m.2 will only support "upto" 10G/bs.
hence only getting 800G/bs or so .

ArmitageShanks

Could be "as well"
but iv looked in the manual for my mobo , and it clearly states that the m.2 will only support "upto" 10G/bs.
hence only getting 800G/bs or so .
That's a tad disappointing!

For reference, here's what I get on mine:
D-drive performance.png

Just kidding :) (that's a cache-skewed result from the RAPID mode on my SATA SSDs!)

This is the actual result which is what you should realistically be getting if you had the full bandwidth available:
C-drive performance.png

sykotik

Distinguished Member
That's a tad disappointing!

For reference, here's what I get on mine:
View attachment 811716
Just kidding :) (that's a cache-skewed result from the RAPID mode on my SATA SSDs!)

This is the actual result which is what you should realistically be getting if you had the full bandwidth available:
View attachment 811719
haha , you had me there , it didn't show the line of text below the pic , ( so im thinking WFT is that with a sammy 950pro :eek:)

hopefully i'll get something similar with this add in card .

just on sorting out the C drive , backing up stuff , in case i need to do i clean install.

boltlock

Distinguished Member
:confused: over clocking issue ?

Yeah someone was saying that if your BCLK is set too high that it can affect the timing on the PCI lanes. A bit too technical for me but anything is worth a shot I guess. If your's is set close to 100, then I don't suppose it will be that.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Yeah someone was saying that if your BCLK is set too high that it can affect the timing on the PCI lanes. A bit too technical for me but anything is worth a shot I guess. If your's is set close to 100, then I don't suppose it will be that.
OK , i do have the pc overclock to 4.7 , never touched the BCLK, just the CPU ratio and the CPU core voltage ( BCLK is set to 100 )

so when i get the add in card , i'll test it both ways , with and without an over clock .
thanks .
just been looking in the bios to see if there's anything should be changing before adding this adding on card . and for some reason in the list of sata ports and M.2 port , the M.2 port says empty !!! sata ports 1, 2 and 4 are been populated tho, which is correct ,
strange, very strange
sataports.jpg

boltlock

Distinguished Member
I've just had a quick look in BIOS and these are my settings. Even though mine's Asus, you could see if your's are similar or thereabouts.

PCH Config, PCIE = Gen 2
DMI = Gen 2
NB PCIE = Gen 3
PCIEx8_4 And M.2 = M.2

sykotik

Distinguished Member
I've just had a quick look in BIOS and these are my settings. Even though mine's Asus, you could see if your's are similar or thereabouts.

PCH Config, PCIE = Gen 2
DMI = Gen 2
NB PCIE = Gen 3
PCIEx8_4 And M.2 = M.2
Isn't yours the X99 tho ?

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Seeing this has prompted me to do a test on mine as I have the same 950 Pro.
Not as fast I as was hoping for.

Crystaldisk.jpg

sykotik

Distinguished Member
What motherboard do you have. As some do and some don't. It can depend on what configuration you set you PCIe slots to. Do you have the latest BIOS version for your mobo?

Edit: Also do you have the controller set to NVMe in BIOS? I'm also assuming you are using W10.
Sorry moonbean , just seen this reply .
it's the z97 , but it will only produce "upto" 10G/bs on the M.2 slot ( that's what it is telling me in the manual for the mobo )
hence the reason in me buying the ASUS add in card .
i have the latest bios ,
yea it's w10 ,
haven't seen anything about "controller" for the NVMe will have a look ( but it's been working for the past year , so something must be right for it work ( all tho not at it's full speed for the 950 which should be at about 2500MB/s

the 1st PCIe slot is set to x16 and the 2nd is set to x8

but will to not change to them both x8 when i add the addin card ?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audioengine launches compact S6 powered subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett