Samsung nu8000

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Ajcarter20, Jul 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ajcarter20

Ajcarter20
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have been looking at dipping in for a 4k tv.

I have been looking at spending about 700£ but I have recently been given 20% off on very and can get the already reduced samsung NU8000 priced at £1,099 for £896.

UE55NU8000 55 inch Dynamic Crystal Colour, Ultra HD 4K Certified, HDR 1000, Smart TV

I was waiting for a big sale like black Friday as I'm in no rush but I would like to change from my ancient 32inch Toshiba.

I feel like this tv probably won't be this cheap for a while and it seems quite good looking on rtings ; a few things I'm concerned about are it's a 8 bit panel ? and local dimming is poor is that something to worry about ?

I'm mainly interested in films and gaming for the tv. We will sit 2m away from the tv.

Also silly question possibly but I want to wall mount this on a fireplace wall and was wondering if you can buy longer cables for it as I want it to be hung without trailing cables etc.

Should i snap this tv up or is there another tv near my price range i could stretch a few hundred more for like the Qleds? Any help or advice would be appreciated especially if you own this tv .

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    Are you sure that 20% includes electricals too? If it's the same as the new customers offer its 10% only for electricals.

Anyhow I'd wager that electriQ 55 OLED Review is better value.

Or trying to pick up last years 55MU9000 for £750 Samsung UE55MU9000 55 inch Curved 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart TV | Crampton and Moore

2m pretty far from a 55" if you want to benefit from UHD content, at 2m and with the space I'd consider a 65" TV.

If you can spend more and are limited to 55" one of the LG OLEDs at £1200 would be hard to beat for value.

Coming from a TV above the fireplace I'd try to avoid the fireplace wall If I were you. Its not optimal nor comfortable placement for a TV. And that is aside from from any potential heat from the fireplace itself.

If hiding cables matter more to you than picture quality the only good deal on a Samsung right now with the one connect box would be the Samsung 55MU9000 above. The new NU series have forgone the mini connect box.

The Samsung QLEDs from 2018 are still very overpriced but you may track deals on them throughout the year (FN Suffix) and the 2017 QLEDs (F suffix) tend to be rare to find at a good price now.

Can you fit 65"?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  3. Ajcarter20

Ajcarter20
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply and all the information I'm really scratching my head here . There is a lot of choice haha .Yeah I have tested the code and it works it's a email code specific to me .

2m is probably where will we be sitting but I'm not sure yet what's optimal sitting for that size less than 1m? . The fireplace won't really be used as its just a feature wall with a gas burner not a real fireplace if you get what I mean.

I may rethink my room arrangements but the only place it could go is over the fireplace due to there being 3 doors in my room and a big window and conservatory French doors . What's the main dislike about it being above the fireplace ?

Will defiantly take the Qleds into consideration but they are hard to come by like you said and cost a lot more sometimes.

This is the cheapest of seen the nu8000 and I almost jumped at it but I'm still weighing everything in the electriQ looks good but the ui seems to look a bit poor and the lack of being able to try it in shops puts me off .

The biggest I could fit is 60 in that position

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    Well optimal viewing distance is also based on the content you watch, 2m away from a 55" is about optimal for HD, you may notice some difference between a good UHD source at that distance and a FHD one but it won't be clear. You need to view very close to get the most from UHD, but of course the closer you view/the larger the TV despite UHD looking better, anything that isn't UHD looks worse.

Anyway, it's an invalid argument since you can only fit up to 60" and 60" TVs this year tend to be poor options.

My main gripe (and family) regarding the fireplace mount was the height, its not comfortable watching TV unless it's at eye level or just below and whilst at first it didn't really bother us, over time it become more and more apparent that it's just not ideal. It's actually not so much about heat for us either, but more about the fact that our necks would end up aching and it meant for uncomfortable watching overall - it's a lot better now with the TV lower down.

I understand how frustrating and limited living room arrangements can be, especially in the UK in some properties. It was the same for us and why we mounted the TV above the fireplace to begin with, looking back I wouldn't choose to do it again. You may only have that option but I'd strongly advise looking at alternatives just in case one is possible :) Also, it may be the case that your fireplace isn't as high. Ours is 1m high so the bottom of the TV having to be just above that made it too high for our liking.

The 2017 QLEDs not so long ago were selling with some pretty good clearance prices but they seem to have mostly sold out now. The same can be said with the MU7000/MU8000 which would suit your needs without being curved like the MU9000 I suggested above.

The NU8000 really isn't that great of a TV and not that better overall compared to last years offerings, its okay value at that price, but not exceptional. To compare it to last years MU9000 at £750 you are basically spending £150 more to get the latest model that performs the same. Ask yourself if that extra £150 is worth the extra features you get on the new model compared to the year before? If you game on an Xbox or PC maybe Freesync support is interesting on the new model and worth the extra. Otherwise I struggle really to see value in it.

The OLEDs, the electriQ will smash any TV we have discussed above with picture quality in every department, it wasn't recommended on the forum for no reason but its not the TV for you if you want to use built in smart TV. I for one would pair any smart TV with an external smart TV solution anyway, and when you can get something like a roku for as cheap as £60 that beats any smart TV platform I have tried I don't really care too much for built in smart.

But if you want the best of both worlds and can raise the budget to the LG OLEDs than you can't go wrong picking up the B7 now for £1200. It may be more expensive but its value for money is a lot higher than any other TV. Its release price was £2500.

The last option I can think and in line with being cable friendly would be to hold off buying for as long as 10 months from now and track the pricing of the new Samsung Q8DN and Q9FN prices. They both have one connect boxes. However you could still argue that even at the right price neither of these TVs would best the LG/ElectriQ OLED for bang for buck and picture quality.

5. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    Q8DN doesn’t have the one connect box. Q7FN, Q8FN and Q9FN do.