Samsung nu8000 series HDR problem

imigix

The tv is operating on full HD well on all sources.
Recently I have subscribed to Amazon Prime and when I view a film flagged as HDR the picture quality is poor, non HDR are fine.
I have looked for adjustments but can only find ones for HDMI inputs on the tv.
Can anyone suggest a cure please.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Not all TV's display HDR well.
All you can do is pick a non-HDR version of the movie if available.

maxwell

Distinguished Member
How are you accessing Prime ?
The NU8000 gives a stunning picture on HDR/4K and has no problems on either Prime or Netflix.
As for TV settings start with the rtings ones and tweak to your liking.

imigix

Thanks for reply, the performance on everything OTHER than Prime hdr is indeed stunning, I have two of these sets a 65 and 75 and both are poor on Prime hdr a third Samsung which is not hdr reproduces the same content on Prime in hd without trouble.
Both effected sets have been set up from the get go as per rtings settings and it seems the only real adjustments there are are for hdmi inputs which are not in use for Prime.
On the effected content there is a language and setting button I thought I may be able to switch hdr off from prime but I cannot even get it to turn on subtitles, of course it may be Amazon at fault.
Having spent a fair amount of cash on these sets which were advertised as hdr compatible I am somewhat disappointed.

maxwell

Distinguished Member
are you on latest firmware ? just tried the built in app on mine ( I normally use my 4k firestick) with Jack Ryan and Oblivion with no problems at all, also what's your internet speed because if it detects your speed is not fast enough Prime video will drop resolution.

Last edited:

chrissyman

What picture mode are you using?

Foster1984

Thanks for reply, the performance on everything OTHER than Prime hdr is indeed stunning,

If all other HDR sources look stunning, this would suggest the issue is related to Amazon Prime and not the TV.

What is it in particular you dislike about the image, when viewing HDR on Prime?

I have two of these sets a 65 and 75 and both are poor on Prime hdr a third Samsung which is not hdr reproduces the same content on Prime in hd without trouble.
Are the 65" and 75" both set up the same? Is the 3rd set a 4K non-HDR TV or an older 1080p TV?

Both effected sets have been set up from the get go as per rtings settings and it seems the only real adjustments there are are for hdmi inputs which are not in use for Prime.
Have you tweaked the picture settings to match those of the Rtings HDR recommended settings? As I use these on my set, and image quality is excellent.

Which picture preset are you using? As you can adjust the picture for any source, not just HDMI inputs.

On the effected content there is a language and setting button I thought I may be able to switch hdr off from prime but I cannot even get it to turn on subtitles, of course it may be Amazon at fault.
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can turn off HDR via the TV's native Prime app.

Having spent a fair amount of cash on these sets which were advertised as hdr compatible I am somewhat disappointed.
Again, you mention that other HDR looks stunning, so you know the TVs are "HDR compatible". So I'll assume this statement is just you ranting in frustration.

imigix

Thank you all for replies.
It would appear that I may have caused some confusion in my question.
Both tv's give first class performance on HD and normal expected quality on SD.
On HDR the picture quality is poor it does not get near that of HD, my only source of HDR is Amazon Prime and this is the only source of HDR I have tried.
My picture mode is movies and I use Rtings settings.

Foster1984

Thank you all for replies.
It would appear that I may have caused some confusion in my question.
Both tv's give first class performance on HD and normal expected quality on SD.
On HDR the picture quality is poor it does not get near that of HD, my only source of HDR is Amazon Prime and this is the only source of HDR I have tried.
My picture mode is movies and I use Rtings settings.

What is it about the picture quality that you find "poor"?

Too dark, too washed out, colours wrong tone, etc.

Foster1984

Mainly washed out.
Lastly, is this on all HDR shows on Prime, or just select ones?

You could try reducing the contrast slider, but this might also rob the image of some of it's HDR punch.

Did you say you were using the Rtings HDR settings on the movie preset?

imigix

Lastly, is this on all HDR shows on Prime, or just select ones?

You could try reducing the contrast slider, but this might also rob the image of some of it's HDR punch.

Did you say you were using the Rtings HDR settings on the movie preset?
yes I am using Rtings and so far its on all HDR Prime shows I have tried.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom