Samsung NU8000 Owners Thread

Hi guys,

New 82 inch NU8000 owner here with some questions:

I have a Xbox One X. On the Rtings review I have read that you can get a darn good input lag by using VRR. The Samsung NU8000 is VRR compatible and the Xbox One X also supports this. How can I get this work? I have read some comments (don t know where anymore) that some people say the game itself (in my case Modern Warfare) needs to support VRR but others say that this is not required. Can someone with experience with VRR help me out on this subject?

Second question is about the local dimming of the NU8000. Because rtings stated that the local dimming implementation on the NU8000 is pretty poor I am thinking about just playing my 4K movie content without local dimming enabled. How do you guys think about this?

I have a Xbox One X. On the Rtings review I have read that you can get a darn good input lag by using VRR. The Samsung NU8000 is VRR compatible and the Xbox One X also supports this. How can I get this work?

The input lag reduction is simply via enabling "Game Mode", as this turns off most of the picture processing settings.

VRR is to reduce screen tearing, which is caused when the frame rate of the game does not match the frame rate of the panel.

I have read some comments (don t know where anymore) that some people say the game itself (in my case Modern Warfare) needs to support VRR but others say that this is not required. Can someone with experience with VRR help me out on this subject?

No, the device needs to support it, not the game. So because you have an Xbox One X, you're good to go.

You just need to turn on the VRR option:

Settings > General > External Device Manager > Game Mode Settings > FreeSync

You will have the option of "Off", "Basic" or "Ultimate". "Basic" will allow for VRR between 90 & 120Hz, whilst "Ultimate" will allow VRR between 48Hz & 120Hz.

For it to work properly, you'll need to set the Xbox One X to output 1080p and 120Hz.

Second question is about the local dimming of the NU8000. Because rtings stated that the local dimming implementation on the NU8000 is pretty poor I am thinking about just playing my 4K movie content without local dimming enabled. How do you guys think about this?

It can't be turned off completely.

For SDR, it is best set to low. For HDR, it will need to be on high.

Thanks Foster! This information you gave me was exactly the feedback I was looking for.

If you check this site you can see that the lowest possible input lag that can be achieved is a whopping 6,1 ms.

Can you explain (just to be sure) how I can achieve this?
Xbox settings: 1080p 120Hz
Samsung settings: game mode ON, etc etc?

If you check this site you can see that the lowest possible input lag that can be achieved is a whopping 6,1 ms.

On the NU8000, the lowest is 6.3ms. The TV review you linked to that of the RU8000, which is the 2019 varient of our TV.

Can you explain (just to be sure) how I can achieve this?
Xbox settings: 1080p 120Hz
Samsung settings: game mode ON, etc etc?

VRR works best on 1080p output for the lowest input lag. So set your Xbox to output 1080p, 120Hz. then just turn "Freesync" in the TV settings to "Ultimate".
_______
Just a side note:

You'll need to turn off Freesync if you use any of the other apps or functions on the Xbox. Otherwise the ALLM won't automatically turn off, thus you'll be stuck in "Game Mode" whilst watching movies, apps, etc. via the Xbox.

So only turn freesync on in the Xbox when you'll be gaming.

Last edited:
I have found the answer. I reset the TV and chose 'Dual Aerial' and now both satellite connections work. It's pretty good as one can record two programmes and watch another at the same time. Not that I need that feature!

My problem started as I fired up and set up the TV without initially connecting the satellite cables.
This was a very informative thread to understand more about the dual tuner options. I don't have satellite I use strictly aerial Freeview. Do any of you know if I could set up the NU8000 unit to record 2 Freeview shows at the same time while watching a third?

Really happy with the picture on Freesat. Watching 4K programs on Amazon Prime, the picture isn't as good. I'm using a wired connection from the router. HD broadcasts on Freesat put the Amazon 4K pictures to shame! Any ideas?

Foster:

No word on your OLED or the bias lighting you installed behind your NU? You never got back to me about that...

Does anyone know why on my NU8000 it has 2 input options for "PC"? I am using the TV hooked up via HDMI cable to my PC but I am confused on why there are 2 options for this and even more confused why the picture looks different on the 2 inputs.

On one of the PC inputs the picture looks almost oversharpened despite the fact that the setting is set to the default 10. While the other input looks more softer and the colors are less saturated. It seems both inputs are HDR game mode no matter what I select but I am wondering why this is and which I should be using?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200215_000116.jpg
    20200215_000116.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 88
Does anyone know why on my NU8000 it has 2 input options for "PC"? I am using the TV hooked up via HDMI cable to my PC but I am confused on why there are 2 options for this and even more confused why the picture looks different on the 2 inputs.

On one of the PC inputs the picture looks almost oversharpened despite the fact that the setting is set to the default 10. While the other input looks more softer and the colors are less saturated. It seems both inputs are HDR game mode no matter what I select but I am wondering why this is and which I should be using?

Thanks
Much as I like my NU8000, there are certainly quirks in its design. Freesat HD great, Amazon 4K dull. Two LNB inputs yet only one Freesat tuner. Recording to a hard drive, hit and miss. Sometimes it records all the program, then on others it will start to record into the program. Occasionally it won't record at all. Samsung customer support hopeless. LG are now fitting Freesat tuners to some of there sets. May be time for a change of maker?

I have found the answer. I reset the TV and chose 'Dual Aerial' and now both satellite connections work. It's pretty good as one can record two programmes and watch another at the same time. Not that I need that feature!

My problem started as I fired up and set up the TV without initially connecting the satellite cables.
Just been into the Menu and there are two resets. Is it the one on the Satellite menu? Had both satellite cables connected from the off and don't remember having a dual aerial option?

Here's a quick query for NU owners...

I read in a thread over at AVS -- I think for one of the QLEDs or maybe the RU8000 -- that it was recommended to keep Gamma at "-1" when viewing HDR, as this will control highlight blowout during extreme dynamic output swings...

Anyone think this is a good idea with the NU8000? I'm thinking this may control the "washed out" blacks I'm getting with certain discs (such as The Fate of the Furious, HDR10)...

Anyone? Foster?

So for us economy modest budget buyers has anyone got any information on the tu8500? It's like the nu8000 2020 version with dual led. I read somewhere it goes only up to 300 nits peak brightness and was shocked unless if it was bad info! (maybe they meant sustained).

Never even heard of the TU8500....

My tv doesn't show the resolution anymore. Clicking on all hdmi sources twice gives a short pop-up but no resolution info. The info button on the remote neither. I reset my TV but no luck. Is it the newer firmware?

My tv doesn't show the resolution anymore. Clicking on all hdmi sources twice gives a short pop-up but no resolution info. The info button on the remote neither. I reset my TV but no luck. Is it the newer firmware?
I'll double check this tonight....the last time I tried, I was able to see resolution. But I hope this isn't an issue, because I had this problem when I first got the NU -- the HDMI board was corrupt to the point that the panel didn't provide correct information for particular inputs, and kept confusing the names of inputs. Required three visits by techs to fix, and that didn't even do it...it ended up fixing itself somehow.

Anyway, was there a firmware update lately I didn't know about? I can swear that the blooming/black performance on my panel has gotten worse...

So for us economy modest budget buyers has anyone got any information on the tu8500? It's like the nu8000 2020 version with dual led. I read somewhere it goes only up to 300 nits peak brightness and was shocked unless if it was bad info! (maybe they meant sustained).

Not much is known yet, other than it is their flagship non-QLED and will use their new "Dual-LED" backlight.

Recently though, their yearly updates have been decreasing in quality and features. They appear to only really be improving their QLED TVs, year on year.

My 'info' button is not working for HDMI sources, mine won't even give me the pop-up currently; however the pop-up does show up if I turn the TV off and then back on again, and this pop-up does show the resolution information. If I switch to a different source and then back to the HDMI input, the pop-up does then appear and contains the resolution info. So it is just a manual check that isn't working for me.

The 'info' button still works and shows me the info for evry other input though, just not HDMI inputs.

Anyway, was there a firmware update lately I didn't know about? I can swear that the blooming/black performance on my panel has gotten worse...

No firmware update recently; still 1290.4.

I'll get around to answering all your previous posts in a separate post soon.

Not much is known yet, other than it is their flagship non-QLED and will use their new "Dual-LED" backlight.

Recently though, their yearly updates have been decreasing in quality and features. They appear to only really be improving their QLED TVs, year on year.

:rolleyes:

My 'info' button is not working for HDMI sources, mine won't even give me the pop-up currently; however the pop-up does show up if I turn the TV off and then back on again, and this pop-up does show the resolution information. If I switch to a different source and then back to the HDMI input, the pop-up does then appear and contains the resolution info. So it is just a manual check that isn't working for me.

The 'info' button still works and shows me the info for evry other input though, just not HDMI inputs.

This is concerning; I'll have to check later when we watch our Blu-ray rental for tonight, 21 Bridges...

So the NUs are suddenly not providing resolution information? I don't want to go through this again...

No firmware update recently; still 1290.4.

I'll get around to answering all your previous posts in a separate post soon.

Thanks; thought you were mad at me for somethin'. :(

On the NU8000, the lowest is 6.3ms. The TV review you linked to that of the RU8000, which is the 2019 varient of our TV.

VRR works best on 1080p output for the lowest input lag. So set your Xbox to output 1080p, 120Hz. then just turn "Freesync" in the TV settings to "Ultimate".
_______
Just a side note:

You'll need to turn off Freesync if you use any of the other apps or functions on the Xbox. Otherwise the ALLM won't automatically turn off, thus you'll be stuck in "Game Mode" whilst watching movies, apps, etc. via the Xbox.

So only turn freesync on in the Xbox when you'll be gaming.

hmmmmmm............ Is he right?

hmmmmmm............ Is he right?

No, he isn't.

The only way in which console games don't 'support' VRR, is if they are frame limited. So games that are locked to 30fps, don't really 'support' VRR due to the fact they don't run fast enough to enter the frame ranges that VRR functions in.

VRR is only of use if a game runs at higher than 30fps, but the hardware running it can't maintain that frame rate constantly.

So if a game is locked to a framerate, then I guess you could say that game doesn't 'support VRR; however the correct explanation is that the console hardware isn't powerful enough to run the game to the point that it would need VRR.

This is less of an issue if you are using a PC to game.

Have Samsung become so successful, they have stopped trying. They don't even take any notice of their own Samsung Community website. Like this blog, so many people complaining. Samsung seemingly don't give a toss. Now they are being sued over patent infringements, by a UK company. Corporate arrogance? Stuck with Samsung because the NU8000 has a built in Freesat tuner (thought there were two), two LNB inputs. LG now have Freesat tuners in some of their sets. Maybe time for a change. After buying Samsung for many years.

Iirc 2018 Samsung's freesync range at 4k is 48hz to 60hz which isn't very good tbh, That being said the Xbox can do some wierd frame doubling thing which means you will still get the benefit if a game runs sub 30.

The problem with freesync and Xbox is that it will not work properly for games which run outside the freesync window but at a framerate greater than 30, this is because doubling will take it over the 60hz cap

FYI for UK members, the Korean version is not compatible with European sets
Didn't know this. It is definitely 100% compatible with US sets. It's the identical firmware. I've been installing via USB the last few updates with no problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom