Samsung NU8000 Owners Thread

Both use the same panel supplied by LG display as they're the only oled panel manufacturers.

I'm aware; however, doesn't Panasonic make an OLED for markets outside of North America?

Rtings has reviewed all the oleds so I'd have a look there and pick your fancy as each have different features.

Was just wondering if one, for whatever reason, performed better than the other based on user experience here or enhanced insight/knowledge.

Films with an HDR layer -- HDR10 or DV -- are ALWAYS mastered at 100 nits?

Yeah, no gaming for me here...so dark room performance for cinema content is preferred.

All I can say about this is what I have continued to say...which is, my experience with the NU8000 has been so bad with regard to dark room performance for serious cinema viewing that I feel as though ANYTHING FALD would have to be better at this point.
Yes, films are always mastered in 100nits, HDR has nothing to do with it. The source is always 100nits. Films with HDR simply add some pop but nothing important. Unfortunately most conversions to HDR will dim the overall picture compared to SDR, so that the HDR will look pseudo-impressive. Truth is it is really hard to find good 4k HDR films out there that really have a substantial HDR implementation. Still in some instances HDR is good and the bump to resolution is also good. Don't forget that all this is coming from me using my xbox one x as my 4k player. As you can understand this is at the lower spectrum of 4k UHD players. Dedicated 4k bluray players have dedicated hardware built in to them in order to boost image quality, HDR performance and extra color depth. If you really are a film enthusiast opt for a dedicated player. I am going to get a decent sony one that costs 250 euros.
If you don't game then Oled is a one way ticket for movies. But get an expensive one because they use good panels.
As for your experience with the NU8000 i would suggest you get in contact with the company and ask for a panel change because the NU8000 might be a lot of things but bad in black uniformity is not one of them. I will try and post photos from countless 4k uhd films i have and you will see it is rather pretty decent.

Yes, films are always mastered in 100nits, HDR has nothing to do with it. The source is always 100nits. Films with HDR simply add some pop but nothing important. Unfortunately most conversions to HDR will dim the overall picture compared to SDR, so that the HDR will look pseudo-impressive. Truth is it is really hard to find good 4k HDR films out there that really have a substantial HDR implementation. Still in some instances HDR is good and the bump to resolution is also good. Don't forget that all this is coming from me using my xbox one x as my 4k player. As you can understand this is at the lower spectrum of 4k UHD players. Dedicated 4k bluray players have dedicated hardware built in to them in order to boost image quality, HDR performance and extra color depth. If you really are a film enthusiast opt for a dedicated player. I am going to get a decent sony one that costs 250 euros.

I already have a standalone premium 4K Blu-ray player, the Cambridge Audio CXUHD. HDR playback has been fine on it, save for the problems with my NU8000 and the black levels due to the edge lighting implementation.

If you don't game then Oled is a one way ticket for movies. But get an expensive one because they use good panels.

Won't be able to afford an OLED, let alone "an expensive one."

As for your experience with the NU8000 i would suggest you get in contact with the company and ask for a panel change because the NU8000 might be a lot of things but bad in black uniformity is not one of them. I will try and post photos from countless 4k uhd films i have and you will see it is rather pretty decent.

I am not going through Samsung ever again for ANYTHING based on a nightmare of a time I had dealing with them for something that wasn't working on my NU8000 out of the box (they had to send technicians to my home THREE times to try and fix an improperly working HDMI board that wouldn't remember my input labeling settings or incoming resolutions; look in previous pages of this thread to see where I documented this in detail); it's not worth it to me for this television. I would just as soon replace it when it's paid off for something with a FALD system or, if I can EVER afford it, an OLED.

As for your finding of UHD films you've watched on the NU and not having an issue (or that you find them "pretty decent") with them, I don't know what to say other than that has NOT been MY experience; do HDR-encoded discs like Aquaman look stunning when there's bold colors and bright elements on the screen? Absolutely. No problems there, and no "dimness" that so many HDR newbies talk about. But once dark films hit the screen with HDR, my NU's letterboxing bars light up like a grey Christmas tree, rendering the scenes completely unwatchable (to me) in my TOTALLY DARK room. This is just what my eyes see, and many reviewers of this model have found the same for HDR performance.

Yes, films are always mastered in 100nits, HDR has nothing to do with it. The source is always 100nits. Films with HDR simply add some pop but nothing important. Unfortunately most conversions to HDR will dim the overall picture compared to SDR, so that the HDR will look pseudo-impressive.

Can anyone such as Foster confirm what Vag is saying here about most conversions to HDR "dimming the overall picture compared to SDR"? Is this actually happening?

This sounds curious...

Solid (to me at least) analysis of the nit levels for the latest HDR versions of Star Wars:

And the same for The Mandalorian:

They discuss nits and mastering in some detail.

I feel as though ANYTHING FALD would have to be better at this point.

Just saw my brother's FALD Sony two days ago.
He was playing some HDR game and went into the menus to save.
The screen displayed a complete black background, with some white text at the bottom right.

On the area around that text (about 1/8 of the screen) blooming was just like the NU.
Over the rest of the screen it was pitch black (as expected).

That's the only difference, FALD limits blooming to one area.
But the amount of blooming itself is the same as the NU (or higher)...

(Personal subjective observation, of course ;) )

This is Blade Runner (the original one) in 4k uhd. It is generally speaking a very demanding film with almost every scene having many different light sources that will challenge the screen and local dimming non stop. Well taking into account what the other person said about his nu8000 lighting up like an xmass tree sort of thing i would assume the black here would be grey?

Attachments

• 78209823_10157546825088190_4656922585378848768_n.jpg
    78209823_10157546825088190_4656922585378848768_n.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 106
(Sorry for posting in a row but this is about a diferent subject :) )

Just got the 1290 update. Changes seem to be:
- better whitepoint/color correction for highlights (no grenish tint shift on highlights)
- better upscaling (compression artifacts less visible)

Don't notice any deference regading brightness or blacks.
This on movie mode and on the 49''.

Totally subjective of course, but this is my visual impression.

A little help, I’m going to buy a 55 tv, I have the nu8000 and the ru8000 and maybe the hisense u7b in mind, my first choice is a nu8000 but last year I got one that I returned because when viewing Netflix with subtitles the luminance would go up and down and was unbearable. Was this problem solved?

Any suggestions about my thoughts?

thanks

The changes in dimming still happen, content depending, and based on the global dimming algorithm.

It can be mitigated, but not without changing some values within the service menu.

The RU8000, although the replacement for the NU8000, is actually a step down in performance. With it performing worse, pretty much across all areas.

I am unsure of the Hisense’s performance; but I don’t see it on many best buy lists. Whilst the NU8000 still makes many best buy lists within this price point. But it is becoming harder to find since it is an “out-dated” model.

The screen displayed a complete black background, with some white text at the bottom right.

On the area around that text (about 1/8 of the screen) blooming was just like the NU.

Which sony model was it? Sony has been dropping the ball for a few years so I'm interested to see which model your brother has.

I cannot stress how dramatic gentle bias lighting can make to black levels. If I owned the NU8000 (I was tempted to buy instead of my current Sony) then bias lighting is a must.

49'' Sony X900F. To me it's slightly better than the NU regarding color saturation / purity on SDR sources (altough the latest updated has improved this for the NU).
But I see no real difference regarding black - both look good.

It can be mitigated, but not without changing some values within the service menu.

I think I'm on to something...

Try selecting HDR+ mode and bringing the backlight down to ~11.
It seems to disable the dimming algorithm :eek: !

I tested this on the AVSHD709 "5 - dynamic brightness" pattern. Once I bring backlight down, I get a stable image. Perhaps you can check it with measurement equipment ?

I think I'm on to something...

Try selecting HDR+ mode and bringing the backlight down to ~11.
It seems to disable the dimming algorithm :eek: !

I tested this on the AVSHD709 "5 - dynamic brightness" pattern. Once I bring backlight down, I get a stable image. Perhaps you can check it with measurement equipment ?

I, personally, wouldn't use HDR+ mode just to fix an issue like this. As it stands I already use a backlight of "11" for SDR...

49'' Sony X900F. To me it's slightly better than the NU regarding color saturation / purity on SDR sources (altough the latest updated has improved this for the NU).
But I see no real difference regarding black - both look good.
Interestingly (sadly?) enough, my North American NU hasn't auto updated this yet...

This is Blade Runner (the original one) in 4k uhd. It is generally speaking a very demanding film with almost every scene having many different light sources that will challenge the screen and local dimming non stop. Well taking into account what the other person said about his nu8000 lighting up like an xmass tree sort of thing i would assume the black here would be grey?
It was me who mentioned the NU lights up like a "grey Christmas tree"...I'm going to watch your video now, but all I can say as a prerequisite going into it is that I have no answer as to why some people here are seeing little to no light bleed with their panels while I am seeing copious amounts.

As I mentioned previously, I'm not getting into reaching out to Samsung about a bad panel; that ship has sailed after what I went through with a supposedly bad HDMI board in this set. I'd just as soon buy a different display.

I understand your passion -- along with some others in this thread, like Foster -- regarding the attempt to make me see that FALD is just as "guilty" of bloom than edge-lit...and I totally get that SOME light bleed is going to occur on ANY LCD, as it's a side effect of the tech. I do.

I'm just saying that I'd give FALD a try once I get rid of this Samsung if only because we wouldn't (probably) be able to afford an OLED at our desired size, and thus there'd really be no other option in terms of tech (I wouldn't, obviously, go back to edge-lit).

Speaking of which...is there ANY manufacturer still making an edge-lit panel outside of Samsung?

Solid (to me at least) analysis of the nit levels for the latest HDR versions of Star Wars:

And the same for The Mandalorian:

They discuss nits and mastering in some detail.

Watching these videos now, LCD...

I totally get what Vincent is saying about dumping HDR into an SDR container, specifically with his examples of the original Star Wars trilogy, and can agree with the sentiment suggesting this is "wasting" the potential of the display when the backlight has been cranked up to max and such...however, I feel like I didn't get any answers regarding Vag's assessment that suggests all HDR films are mastered at 100 nits like SDR variants (unless I misunderstood Vag's point)...

Last edited:

In looking at your image, I can indeed see some light bloom into the letterboxing areas, as minor as it may be -- and it seems like there is SOME kind of bias light in the background of the panel (unless I'm mistaken) as I can make out a light source there...MY room is COMPLETELY and TOTALLY black, and this makes HDR on my NU look way too raised and blown out in terms of letterboxing areas.

I understand your passion -- along with some others in this thread, like Foster -- regarding the attempt to make me see that FALD is just as "guilty" of bloom than edge-lit...and I totally get that SOME light bleed is going to occur on ANY LCD, as it's a side effect of the tech. I do.

I just don't want you to have false hopes and waste your money on something that still has the same problem ;)

I, personally, wouldn't use HDR+ mode just to fix an issue like this. As it stands I already use a backlight of "11" for SDR...
Sure, it was just a crazy test. You know that I like experimenting a bit :)
It needs some testing to see what else it changes.
Perhaps Foster with his equipment can share some light on this.

Sure, it was just a crazy test. You know that I like experimenting a bit :)
It needs some testing to see what else it changes.
Perhaps Foster with his equipment can share some light on this.

I only got the update last night, as didn't manually update via USB this time.

Will give the test a go once I have some time, likely this weekend.

In looking at your image, I can indeed see some light bloom into the letterboxing areas, as minor as it may be -- and it seems like there is SOME kind of bias light in the background of the panel (unless I'm mistaken) as I can make out a light source there...MY room is COMPLETELY and TOTALLY black, and this makes HDR on my NU look way too raised and blown out in terms of letterboxing areas.
It is just a very small light bulb and it is way behind the tv, it can't even be considered as bias lighting so i can assure you it makes no difference on the outcome. Point being i think that what you describe must be some sort of faulty backlight!

It was me who mentioned the NU lights up like a "grey Christmas tree"...I'm going to watch your video now, but all I can say as a prerequisite going into it is that I have no answer as to why some people here are seeing little to no light bleed with their panels while I am seeing copious amounts.

As I mentioned previously, I'm not getting into reaching out to Samsung about a bad panel; that ship has sailed after what I went through with a supposedly bad HDMI board in this set. I'd just as soon buy a different display.
Some people notice blooming more than others. What may be fine for one person is horrible to the other so be careful about wholly believing claims about blooming as everyone eyes are different.

all HDR films are mastered at 100 nits like SDR variants
Hdr isn't mastered at 100 nits, it's either 1000/4000 nits with specular highlights being near the upper range. Scenes that are mastered at 100 nits will be displayed at 100 nits in both sdr and hdr modes. Hdr doesn't mean brighter. Most scenes in hdr are never at the maximum luminance which I think is a misconception.

Some people notice blooming more than others. What may be fine for one person is horrible to the other so be careful about wholly believing claims about blooming as everyone eyes are different.

Hdr isn't mastered at 100 nits, it's either 1000/4000 nits with specular highlights being near the upper range. Scenes that are mastered at 100 nits will be displayed at 100 nits in both sdr and hdr modes. Hdr doesn't mean brighter. Most scenes in hdr are never at the maximum luminance which I think is a misconception.
Sorry what i ment is that movies are mastered in 100nits in general, to the source, so depending on HDR implementation for UHD blu rays you either are getting a proper result or you are getting an image that will not display properly when viewed on an HDR tv, and tbh won't make much of a difference anyway.

Sorry what i ment is that movies are mastered in 100nits in general, to the source, so depending on HDR implementation for UHD blu rays you either are getting a proper result or you are getting an image that will not display properly when viewed on an HDR tv, and tbh won't make much of a difference anyway.
Gotcha.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom