Samsung NU8000 Owners Thread

I'm having no look getting 120hz to work at 1440p.

Can you use 1440p@60Hz?

Did the TV auto-detect the PC and turn on "PC" mode?

The option isn't available in the Nvidia control panel.

If the option isn't there, then the TV is likely reporting that it can't handle that resolution and refresh rate. Probably since it would have to scale the signal prior to display.

If it is in "PC" mode, have you tried disabling this and tried running it in a different mode. Perhaps, change the input to be seen as a 'set top box' or 'Blu-ray player' input instead.

I can use 4K@60hz without issue which is more pixels than 1440p@120hz.

Yes, but the TV is a native 4K panel, therefore it wouldn't have to scale the image before displaying it. it would only need to refresh the image 60 times a second.

Whereas with a 1440p signal, it will have to scale the image first, to match it's 4K resolution; all whilst trying to refresh the panel 120 times a second. Which is an option it might disable when in "PC" mode.

That's what I have read, is that why a used NU costs as much as a new RU?

Yes.

Since even though the RU is newer, people don't like paying more for worse; it has created a good second hand market for the NU.

Not sure if anyone saw this yet, but apparently there's a firmware update for the NU in the form of version 1282.3...anyone download this or have it auto download on their NU yet?

Yeah, my display didn't update either...

Have you guys tried it ota? Usually to get an update early you have to update via a USB.

Hi Razer,

The only thing I did was turn my tele on, which usually prompts the auto update (connected via wireless in my house) if one is available -- it didn't as of last night.

Since hooking up to my wireless connections for both the Samsung and my Cambridge 4K Blu-ray player, I don't bother with USB anymore; I don't have to have the update early, so no worries there. :smashin:

I downloaded it from the Korean site (thank to avsforum), installed via USB, and factory reset my NU8000. The only difference I've noticed so far is an additional sound setting for wireless speakers on the main sound menu. I don't think that was there before.

I downloaded it from the Korean site (thank to avsforum), installed via USB, and factory reset my NU8000. The only difference I've noticed so far is an additional sound setting for wireless speakers on the main sound menu. I don't think that was there before.

Thanks for the info, romant; that's where I first saw it, as well, on AVS (and that it was from the Korean site).

I think I'll just wait for an auto update based on your feedback.

And rest assured the Freesync Xbox One X crash still happens on the new firmware. Of course.

Well, not a concern for me personally, but appreciate the heads up.

Greetings.
I am an almost one year owner of this tv and must say i am happy with it. A solid 8/10. I knew traditionaly that this tv has bad local dimming so i always had it at low. After countles updates (i am currently in the latest 1270.something one), i turned it to standard last night whilst watchin xmen days of future bla, and noticed that it seems to be working better. Actually a lot better. Doesn anyone have any input on whether the dimming algorithm had been improved since 2018?
Also i have the 8005 variant model and i don't know if that has any difference but it says it has 'supreme uhd dimming' rather than 'local dimming' on the regular 8000 model, and supposedly the supreme variant is the one used on the qled tv's. Of course this might all just be nonsense and my placebo.
Lastly i use my xbox one x and have it on game mode and used the rtings callibrations. When watching blu ray-uhd blu ray should i leave it like that or change it to movie picture mode?

Greetings.
I am an almost one year owner of this tv and must say i am happy with it. A solid 8/10. I knew traditionaly that this tv has bad local dimming so i always had it at low. After countles updates (i am currently in the latest 1270.something one), i turned it to standard last night whilst watchin xmen days of future bla, and noticed that it seems to be working better. Actually a lot better. Doesn anyone have any input on whether the dimming algorithm had been improved since 2018?
Also i have the 8005 variant model and i don't know if that has any difference but it says it has 'supreme uhd dimming' rather than 'local dimming' on the regular 8000 model, and supposedly the supreme variant is the one used on the qled tv's. Of course this might all just be nonsense and my placebo.
Lastly i use my xbox one x and have it on game mode and used the rtings callibrations. When watching blu ray-uhd blu ray should i leave it like that or change it to movie picture mode?

Are you using Standard local dimming with 4K/HDR content or with SDR content? And what did you mean by the dimming seems to be "a lot better"? In what way? Just curious...

Are you using Standard local dimming with 4K/HDR content or with SDR content? And what did you mean by the dimming seems to be "a lot better"? In what way? Just curious...
Greetings.
Actually ti was my impression since it was a long time since i had seen 4k uhd in a dark room. The standard dimming actually seemed to function worse than low because it was way too agressive and did not handle transitions between zones well at all, actually producing more blooming in scenes where low did not. Well for starters i did not get the blooming effect with subtitles that i remembered from this tv and the dimming in low seemed to actually do a pretty job of controling blooming compared to how i remembered it. It feels that perhaps in one of the updates maybe they worked on the algorithm a bit.

Greetings.
Actually ti was my impression since it was a long time since i had seen 4k uhd in a dark room. The standard dimming actually seemed to function worse than low because it was way too agressive and did not handle transitions between zones well at all, actually producing more blooming in scenes where low did not. Well for starters i did not get the blooming effect with subtitles that i remembered from this tv and the dimming in low seemed to actually do a pretty job of controling blooming compared to how i remembered it. It feels that perhaps in one of the updates maybe they worked on the algorithm a bit.

Cheers.

I have been sticking to "low" local dimming for SDR (Blu-ray/DVD) film playback in the dark (using "Movie" picture mode) and "high" for HDR 4K Blu-ray playback...though I get really nasty blooming in black letterbox bars with scope films with HDR.

Cheers.

I have been sticking to "low" local dimming for SDR (Blu-ray/DVD) film playback in the dark (using "Movie" picture mode) and "high" for HDR 4K Blu-ray playback...though I get really nasty blooming in black letterbox bars with scope films with HDR.
Hi
Yes actually i always had it at Low and blooming was very minimal and decent for a tv of this type. I set it to standard for hdr movies and one scene in Alien 4k just lit up. I guess the more agressive you make it the more it has trouble mainting control over transitions with many light sources. But in quieter scenes it seems to do a decent job with contrast. I guess you win some and lose some.

Hi
Yes actually i always had it at Low and blooming was very minimal and decent for a tv of this type. I set it to standard for hdr movies and one scene in Alien 4k just lit up. I guess the more agressive you make it the more it has trouble mainting control over transitions with many light sources. But in quieter scenes it seems to do a decent job with contrast. I guess you win some and lose some.

That's interesting that with Standard local dimming it lit up Alien in 4K; I was hoping to experiment with my NU's HDR local dimming by dropping it to Standard from High, but your findings have me second guessing this now (I personally wouldn't use Low for HDR; it really defeats any purpose of high dynamic range, especially with these panels). I think what is handicapping these sets is the backlighting and contrast being jacked to maximum (50) with HDR -- I don't think any amount of local dimming tweaking on edge lit sets like these is going to stop the nasty light bleed and bloom in the dark.

You’re not wedded to the ‘best’ settings for your tv according to experts. Tweak your settings until you get it close to what’s best for you and your environment. You can even tweak per film, presuming you know your films.

It’s also vital to know and accept the limits of your tv. It can help to have background lighting, especially with edge lit sets. But each to their own, each set of eyes are different.

You’re not wedded to the ‘best’ settings for your tv according to experts. Tweak your settings until you get it close to what’s best for you and your environment. You can even tweak per film, presuming you know your films.

I personally hold the viewpoint that I don't want to tweak per disc I put in my player and watch on my display; I like to adjust as close to "standards" as possible (in the case of the Samsung range, it's normally Movie mode with some personal tweaks) and leave it be, understanding and accepting that if a lousy disc/transfer comes along, it's the fault of that lousy disc/transfer. It is what it is sort of thing...

Now, I was merely replying to Vagval regarding his/her findings of local dimming on Standard (that it "lit up" his/her screen with 4K, which I assume meant the blooming was still atrocious, like when it's on High) that I was surprised and disappointed to learn that his/her NU did this because I was thinking of experimenting with the dimming set to Standard with HDR (instead of High). His/her findings made me think that perhaps the blooming and severe light bleed will still be present...

It’s also vital to know and accept the limits of your tv. It can help to have background lighting, especially with edge lit sets. But each to their own, each set of eyes are different.

Indeed; a lesson I sure learned the hard way. I am absolutely never going to buy an edge lit set again (if they will even be available by the time I get around to replacing my NU8000), though it's difficult to "accept" when I sit in the dark each night and view films that exude irritating light bleed into the letterbox bars of scope films, even in SDR...I wish I had a different display right now. :(

I am still considering bias lighting.

Greetings.

I've had the 55" nu8000 for almost a year to.and it's ok for what I paid.but I am considering selling it for something else .no idea what,seems only OLED tick all my boxes.

As I watch in a fairly dark room ,I've hated the local dimming.so I have it set to low for all content.i tried standard after reading this bit it's imo just as bad as it ever was.Ill double check my firmware version tomorrow.

What has improved for my dark room viewing is BIAS lighting.it can make the grey bars look almost appear black.

Anyway it has 4 years warranty left on it,so wondering what I would get for it.I realised I need better viewing angles ,I knew the VA panel was poor,but not as poor at angles as I thought.

Nice looking TV ,sound is excellent! Smart remote is perfect.

I've had the 55" nu8000 for almost a year to.and it's ok for what I paid.but I am considering selling it for something else .no idea what,seems only OLED tick all my boxes.

As I watch in a fairly dark room ,I've hated the local dimming.so I have it set to low for all content.i tried standard after reading this bit it's imo just as bad as it ever was.Ill double check my firmware version tomorrow.

What has improved for my dark room viewing is BIAS lighting.it can make the grey bars look almost appear black.

Anyway it has 4 years warranty left on it,so wondering what I would get for it.I realised I need better viewing angles ,I knew the VA panel was poor,but not as poor at angles as I thought.

Nice looking TV ,sound is excellent! Smart remote is perfect.

I have to mirror these sentiments about the NU too, Craggs; I'm over a year with the set and can't stand its dark room performance, no matter how I tweak...and sometimes this applies to SDR content (the black bars in scope films appear too light at times). I want to pay it off and then get something else, and, like you, seems like OLED is the only answer...but I think a 65-inch screen size is gonna be out of our price range (whether it's Sony or LG, here in the States).

You have tried local dimming on LOW for HDR, as well?

I have to mirror these sentiments about the NU too, Craggs; I'm over a year with the set and can't stand its dark room performance, no matter how I tweak...and sometimes this applies to SDR content (the black bars in scope films appear too light at times). I want to pay it off and then get something else, and, like you, seems like OLED is the only answer...but I think a 65-inch screen size is gonna be out of our price range (whether it's Sony or LG, here in the States).

You have tried local dimming on LOW for HDR, as well?
Local dimming always on low, allthough it is better than it used to be it still is bad. I guess they figured that because the native black levels for this tv are actually pretty high, local dimming was not needed. In low it's the less intrusive it can be. Also many people are using the rtings settings (which more or less say leave the tv as it is), byt gamma set to 2 is over exposure and brightens the scene. After playing in Gears 5 which is the most challenging game for the backlight i have have ever seen due to many individual light sourcers, i have set the gamma to either 0 or minus 1 and the hdmi black level to low (you could leave it to auto but just to be sure that the tv will produce the deepest black possible), and it is better than it was, but yeah you can't get around the fact it has it;s blooming.
After researching i think i will try the q6fn or q7fn. The thing is the sony xf9005 for as good as people say it is and is faled, i keep seeing everywere that blooming is an issue with it.

Local dimming always on low, allthough it is better than it used to be it still is bad. I guess they figured that because the native black levels for this tv are actually pretty high, local dimming was not needed. In low it's the less intrusive it can be. Also many people are using the rtings settings (which more or less say leave the tv as it is), byt gamma set to 2 is over exposure and brightens the scene. After playing in Gears 5 which is the most challenging game for the backlight i have have ever seen due to many individual light sourcers, i have set the gamma to either 0 or minus 1 and the hdmi black level to low (you could leave it to auto but just to be sure that the tv will produce the deepest black possible), and it is better than it was, but yeah you can't get around the fact it has it;s blooming.
After researching i think i will try the q6fn or q7fn. The thing is the sony xf9005 for as good as people say it is and is faled, i keep seeing everywere that blooming is an issue with it.

I'm personally not going to try another Samsung product when I replace this display for a number of reasons beyond the nightmare I experienced with the blooming/bleed on the NU -- mainly because of the way I had a broken HDMI sensor/labeling issue out of the box (which required techs to come to my house three different times to fix...and which ended up, somehow, "fixing on its own") and for the fact that none of their models support Dolby Vision.

With regard to local dimming, the way I understand it is this: With SDR, the dimming system apparently behaves differently than with HDR in that with standard dynamic range content, it affects the aggressiveness of the dimming (which is why it's normally recommended to keep it at LOW for all non-HDR dark room viewing); with HDR, the dimming in this display allows for peak brightness to be achieved, thus why it's recommended to keep on HIGH. However, high seems really aggressive on my set in the dark, causing the black levels to fluctuate and the letterbox scope bars to appear as gray.

I personally wouldn't run local dimming on LOW for HDR, as this completely defeats the purpose of achieving those spectacular highlights on HDR sources; the lowest I'd ever drop it is to Standard, which I'll play with at some point, but what from Foster and some others here have told me, this isn't going to achieve good HDR results, either.

When it comes to the GAMMA, yeah, Rtings leaves this on "2" on the slider for their calibrated NU, but this was to achieve a "2.2" gamma curve, which is better for a lighter room to overcome glare and such; in a dark room, the default of "0" on the slider seems to be fine, which, from what I gathered, represents an approximate 2.4 or so gamma (better for dark conditions). So you don't necessarily have to follow their gamma setting for this display, unless you view regularly in a non-dark environment (even in those conditions, I just leave the gamma on "0" for my cable TV viewing with the picture mode on Standard).

Regarding the HDMI black level, I think this is greyed out on my NU because I'm always sending it a YCbCr signal.

Gamma matters most for SDR sources, that are mastered to gamma 2.2.
In general terms the NU gamma settings are like this:
0 » gamma 2.4
1 » gamma 2.3
2 » gamma 2.2

For SDR just go with 1 or 2, depending on your preferred mode, viewing conditions, viewing angle, etc. Should be close enough unless you are running test patterns or have test equipment.

Doesn anyone have any input on whether the dimming algorithm had been improved since 2018?

It is constantly being tweaked. Sometimes it gets better, sometimes it gets worse; most of the time there is no way to tell, unless you have measuring equipment.

"Supreme UHD Dimming" is just what Samsung call their local dimming process. They filed the trademark for it back in January of 2016.

It is just a marketing tool. The local dimming, and by extension local dimming performance, between the 2 variants is the same.

No, don't use "Game" mode for watching movies.

It is designed to reduce input lag, not provide the best image quality. Because you lose access to adjust certain picture settings, there are elements of the image which will suffer.

FALD is a better local dimming system. But in all honesty, does not eliminate blooming, it just changes how it appears. Any LED TV will have blooming whenever a bright element is near a dark element, as the pixels are not self illuminating; this becomes even more noticeable the brighter the image element is, such as with HDR.

Dimming systems can only effect how far that bleed/bloom leaks into the dark area...unfortunately, it can not outright eliminate it.

To get truly deep blacks in a dark room environment, you need to go OLED or use BIAS lighting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom