Samsung NU7400 Apps

Jon Mills

Established Member
Reaction score
i have a technician coming out on Friday. For my TV to auto update apps it needs 100 megs of free space. I only have the stock apps installed and cannot delete anything. How can my internal mem be so full. The tech is replacing the motherboard which seems drastic. Any ideas?

Similar issue in this thread:

Samsung TV apps storage space issue

Samsung told that poster that the issue is firmware based and they are going to fix it, but there is no timescale at the moment.

Hmmmm. I sense this too. Hours on phone to Samsung who had no idea of this The tech said that replacing motherboard had remedied this, but I’m not sure or really want this doing. Would I be better off to call Samsung and ask to speak with a supervisor and cancel the technician? I will let him see this thread.

Thanks for posting your issue (it was me who started the other threads). Judging by the responses the issue does seem to be confined to the NU 7xxx series, which I suppose should help Samsung narrow it down. I'm not sure about replacing the motherboard. It could work but it does look like they're clutching at straws. Who arranged this and how long have you had the TV?

I got my NU7500 mid November. As it's so new I won't accept a motherboard replacement if it's offered and I'll insist on a TV exchange with John Lewis. When I approached them before they were unhelpful, but now that this is an acknowledged defect I'm hoping they'll play ball.

I am contacting the engineer and have done the same with Samsung. I bought mine in Oct too, from Richer Sounds. I desperately hunted around and opened boxes as I only wanted a VA panel. Not sure what to do. Set is fine, although have found HDR a tad under whelming. Thinking I may go up to the NU800 if Richer Sounds play ball and pay difference. The lady may not let me go up six inches though. Is it that much bigger in the grand scheme?

I can vouch for the NU8000.

I couldn't find the dimensions of the 49" NU7400, so below are the dimensions of the 49" and 55" versions of the NU8000.

49" = 1091.6 x 711.0 x 299.7 mm
55" = 1227.1 x 787.1 x 322.0 mm

Those measurements are with the stand on; hence why the depth is so large.

A size up. Missus won’t allow. Today the space is fine. I guess I need to see the engineer but can’t see how a new motherboard will correct this. I may just have him here to look further. Samsung are being as good as useles s

It's 20cm wider and 8cm taller, or 7.8 inches wider and 2 inches taller. I'm sure it will fit in the same space, unless you're putting it in an alcove.

I find telling the gals the dimensions in a different unit of measurement usually works; I just pick whichever unit allows me to use the smallest number. Ha-Ha

I can't figure that out either, as either the storage is defect or the OS can't read it correctly. My guess is the latter. interesting that it only appears to be effecting the NU7xxx series though. Would suggest it is something unique to the components or firmware of that series.

@Foster1984 Very cunning plan haha!

@Jon Mills I believe the 55" version of the NU8000 has a number of improvements over the 49", so definitely worth getting. That's my intention if Samsung can't resolve the apps issue on my 7500 soon.

I've attached a photo of the current status of my apps storage. Looking at the percentage remaining, it may be that the OS 'thinks' that the total storage is 1GB, or perhaps the hardware is missing a chip and it really is only 1GB? In any case it must be an error as the built-in apps alone take up around 750MB. The current low free space will not allow for any app updating.

I'll be interested in what Jon's engineer says if he pays a visit.

Attachments

• NU7500 APPS MEMORY.jpg
    NU7500 APPS MEMORY.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 418
@Foster1984 Very cunning plan haha!

@Jon Mills I believe the 55" version of the NU8000 has a number of improvements over the 49", so definitely worth getting. That's my intention if Samsung can't resolve the apps issue on my 7500 soon.

I've attached a photo of the current status of my apps storage. Looking at the percentage remaining, it may be that the OS 'thinks' that the total storage is 1GB, or perhaps the hardware is missing a chip and it really is only 1GB? In any case it must be an error as the built-in apps alone take up around 750MB. The current low free space will not allow for any app updating.

I'll be interested in what Jon's engineer says if he pays a visit.

I have been thinking about this.

My NU8000, as I mentioned on your other thread, has 3GB of space, with I think 756MB already used by the pre-installed apps; which I can not delete. This is about the same as yours, so would suggest this is the standard pre-installed "OS image" size.

Thinking about it from a PC hardware point of view; what if...the hard drives are partitioned, with read only access given to the partition with the OS and pre-installed apps, and read/write access on the remaining. BUT there was a batch of botched hard-drives with corrupted partitions installed on NU7xxx series TV, therefore not allowing the remaining space on the HDD to be used. o_O

Just a theory.

Last edited:
Interesting theory, and I think you're right to focus on the disc itself and the partitioning. However, I've done some tests and I can install additional apps until the available space is used up (it only takes another six apps).

Therefore the partition containing the built-in apps would have to be read/write unless the new apps are going on to a different partition which has been incorrectly formatted to a much smaller size than it should be?

I think it might be the latter, and either the other partition is corrupt or wrongly sized.

As I know people have tried to obtain root access in order to try and side load apps, and failed. So that would suggest that the OS section at least is locked out. So either there are 3 partitions (OS, Pre-installed apps, everything else) or just 2 that are separated by privileges; which I suspect is the easier option to do on bulk.

Perhaps it is something to do with partition size, as some people have reported that the available space fluctuates following resets, etc.

As it isn't effecting everybody, then it would suggest it is component based rather than firmware. Otherwise everyone would have it. It might also suggest why it is taking Samsung so long to fix, as they either need to go and replace all the HDDs (not really an option), do a recall (expensive) or roll out an update that re-formats the partitions (best option).

But they would need a way to detect who had a bad drive, or risk formatting the partitions of people who are unaffected; I also assume that it would lock the TV out of operation for a while, as the processor would be tasked by the formatting process.

Of course, I could be barking up the wrong tree, but the theory fits.

Yes, your post makes it clear that there's probably no simple solution to this. All thoughts of a quick fix are evaporating. NU8000 here I come (assuming JL agree)!

Perhaps Jon's engineer had a solution.

Engineer calling tomorrow. Richer Sounds briefed. Awaiting call back from Samsung. Madly, I have done nothing and now my free space is up to 13% and I am no longer getting the auto update message. It’s driving me mad. More when I hear.

I find if I reset the apps and don't load any additional ones the free space goes up to around 12%. That does make the auto-update warning go away but it's still far too low. What a weird issue this is! Please let me know if you go ahead with a TV exchange at Richer Sounds as I can use that as evidence with JL.

As I said in the related thread:

"[...] something similar was happening to my TV: only 120 MB free. Yesterday night I began to install a lot of apps just to try and the installed without a problem. Nonetheless, the reported "free" space was somehow random: it could also increase after installing an app (?). So, I guess the problem is not the actual free space."

So, try it for yourself: just install a lot of random apps and see in the reported free space behaves randomly. Then let us know, please.

As I said in the related thread:

"[...] something similar was happening to my TV: only 120 MB free. Yesterday night I began to install a lot of apps just to try and the installed without a problem. Nonetheless, the reported "free" space was somehow random: it could also increase after installing an app (?). So, I guess the problem is not the actual free space."

So, try it for yourself: just install a lot of random apps and see in the reported free space behaves randomly. Then let us know, please.

Hi, I've just done as you ask. In my case the OS reported the free space logically, slightly compressing the apps after installation. For example, if I had 68MB left and installed a 12MB app the available space was then 60MB rather than 56MB. This was consistent with each app I installed.

I got down to 12MB available and then tried to install the BT app, which is 29MB. I got the warning about insufficient storage - see photo.

I then inserted a USB stick and tried again. This time the option to install on USB came up - see photo.

I can confirm that installing on USB worked, therefore this is a viable workaround for the time being.

Attachments

• insufficient storage.jpg
    insufficient storage.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 350
  • USB storage.jpg
    USB storage.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 372
Hi, I've just done as you ask. In my case the OS reported the free space logically, slightly compressing the apps after installation. For example, if I had 68MB left and installed a 12MB app the available space was then 60MB rather than 56MB. This was consistent with each app I installed.

I got down to 12MB available and then tried to install the BT app, which is 29MB. I got the warning about insufficient storage - see photo.

I then inserted a USB stick and tried again. This time the option to install on USB came up - see photo.

I can confirm that installing on USB worked, therefore this is a viable workaround for the time being.

Well this is nice to know. It would better if they prompted where to install the apps from the start (internal/USB) but that's fine. Thanks!

Morning all, has anyone got any updates on this issue? Jon, you said you had an engineer coming and that you had contacted Richer Sounds.

I've heard nothing more from Samsung, so I'll give them to the end of this week and then go back to JL for an exchange.

There's a new firmware version released today via the Samsung support site - version 1202.3.

I can confirm that this does NOT resolve the issue.

Perhaps it is not a firmware issue, but a batch of bad hard drives. Either via corrupt partitions or bad sectors.

If that is the case, then it might not be fixable via a firmware update.

Perhaps it is not a firmware issue, but a batch of bad hard drives. Either via corrupt partitions or bad sectors.

If that is the case, then it might not be fixable via a firmware update.

I think you're right, the issue does seem to be hardware related. I hope Jon Mills responds on this thread as he was having an engineer round to check the TV.

Same issue, bought in December from Richer Sounds. Did the chap who bought from RS get a replacement TV? Need ammunition before I call :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom