Question Samsung NU7100 improvement over 6670 Series?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by mikethecat, Dec 6, 2018 at 3:38 PM.

1. mikethecat

mikethecat
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there - I currently have a Samsung UE48H6670 and am looking to upgrade in size to a new TV.

Prime usage will be PS4 / Netflix / Plex / Amazon Prime.

I have my eye on a Samsung 55" NU7100 as for £500 it looks alright. But... am a bit worried the upscaling will look bad as I will probably run 1080p content through it (my Netflix sub isn't the 4k one, and my plex library is all 1080p).

My primary reasons for upgrading are

- Better screen size
    - Better input lag
    - Optical passthrough (I have a sonos playbar)

I have no issues with my current set's picture quality so if it's going to be as good I'm keen.

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    If its decent quality 1080p content you'll probably be okay. 1080p won't be as sharp as on a native display but at nominal viewing distances its usually acceptable.

The NU7100 is a bit of an unknown if you care about which panel comes on the TV, Samsung are known to ship different panel types on their NU7 range.

Better suggestions would be those in the guide here: My best value TVs, 2018-2019 Edition including the Hisense A series which will better TVs overall, for less money too. Even better if you can step up to the Hisense 55U7A where you get a 120hz panel and wide colour gamut for only £100 more than the Samsung 55NU7100.

For comparisons sake, your current TV will be using a VA panel and will have greater contrast than the NU7100 if it does come with an IPS panel. It is also a 120hz panel model unlike the NU7100 which is only 60hz. So really you can see the NU7100 isn't an upgrade at all.

3. mikethecat

mikethecat
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks. I would happily consider those (in fact I looked at some earlier after reading a post you made in another thread). I couldn't find if they did 5.1 Dolby Digital optical passthrough though?

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,762
    They do. In fact they should also support DTS via optical and HDMI which the Samsung 2018 models don't do.

5. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259