Samsung Neo qled QN800B Owners Thread

Taggart

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the new QN800b- first impressions are a huge improvement on the Qn800a, in picture, sound and overall quality. This is the TV I was hoping for when I purchased it’s predecessor.

I’m very very impressed - so far it has blown me away on USB films, Netflix, prime, F1 and Football on Sky Q UHD and even HD looks amazing upscale as well.

I just really hope I don’t get any issues like the QN800a had for me with vertical banding.

A week and a half on, and this TV is the TV that I was hoping it would be. Blacks are brilliant, adaptive picture seems to work incredibly well, especially with HD/4K/uhd content and the sound is a big step up from last year.

After a really underwhelming experience with the Qn800a, the qn800b for me really delivers 👍👍

Hi Taggart,

Congrats on the new set and delighted to hear you are getting the most out of it, would you mind confirming if the youtube app supports 8k native?

Hi, yep it can ply 8k on YouTube. On some of the videos on YouTube that advertise 8k you have to click on the three dots think and change res to the highest to get the 8k

Perfect, I'm upgrading from the original Q900R which let's say was less than ideal, have you any experience with gaming next gen or PC on it? How is the built in Atmos, I plan to run through my H/T setup but interesting to hear what built in aufio is like and genuine user opinion is better than any reviewer opinion in my book

Hi,
Yes I have an Xbox one and ps5 hooked up - used gaming mode and also with gaming mode switched off - it looks class and you can tweak it to performance or enhance picture based on your preference.

The new TVs are brill for gaming; I have only used a laptop connected up to do some work calls and it looked good but not gaming through it via laptop.

I had last years model - this tv is a big step up from last years model in my opinion.

qn800a got an update 2001.4 which improved picture quality massively especially in regards to the local dimming in that some scenes that were dark would have lit up the screen grey for a few seconds and then went back to black thankfully this is now remedied so im well chuffed with it qn800b should be great aswell

My 2 cents,

Took delivery about a month ago as warranty replacement for Q900R but have mainly used as PC monitor at 4k due to 8k requiring way too much mouse movement to be comfortable, must say its a BIG improvement on the Q900R, 4k 120 is nice to have but was honestly good with 4k 60. New Tyzen front end takes adjusting to as like a minimalist look but can see the advantages.

Apps wise I only really use Youtube which is now 8k compatible and Prime which both work as expected.

Picture quality and uniformity are excellent, HDR pops and if there is blooming I haven't noticed or been distracted by it. Up-scaling is excellent, I tend to only watch 1080p upwards however recently got a Switch and Zelda looks fantastic considering its up-scaling to the power of 16 (Its higher than that as BOTW is 900p but couldn't be arsed doing the math) and Mario-kart is a joy to watch.

PS5 looks excellent too and was delighted to see RGB available again and all the additional display options in PS5 video menu compared to Q900R. Have HDR gaming and all the options activated which was a bit tricky at first with 120hz but once set and exit game it is solid now. The new gamebar function is a very worthwhile upgrade as Q900 had no such feature.

I have Panasonic UHD-9000 and an Oppo 105D hooked up to it and both 1080p up-scaled on the Oppo and UHD on the Panasonic look fantastic. FWIW I turn off all motion trickery as soap opera effect kills me.

I haven't done the calibration through smart things as current phone is a year too old which was a bummer so my opinion is based on the out of the box settings thus far but will borrow a newer phone and calibrate as read positive feedback on it.

Sound wise I have it wall mounted using no gap and 7.5 mm spacers and have noticed some distortion above the 30 mark on volume but this could be down to resonance and not the speakers in TV itself which isn't really a factor as anything worth listening to I put through external amp.

I can't advise on Arc/E- Arc as couldn't get it to talk to the Oppo successfully and to be honest don't really need it so running the optical out for devices I can't put through the Oppo directly (PS5/Switch/TV apps) and running Oppo into pre amp 5.1 bypass analogue. I don't like that Samsung have removed DTS pass through but there are ways around it.

Looks wise I love it although find the newer one connect boxes look significantly cheaper than the older ones although I see why they went that route to be able to integrate it with the TV stand, I also found the new solar remote a bit light weight but thankfully I kept the metal version from the Q900R which just feels so much better in the hand and has the main functions I need and can live without the streaming shortcut buttons.

I did have one or two teething problems such as registering it via Tyzen or manually on samsung website but had a webchat session which resolved it (full stop on end of serial number required???) and must say the Samsung agent was excellent from start to finish.

This may be the longest post I've ever put on an internet forum but thought it worthwhile as could find very few user opinions a month ago when looking it up and I know people considering this would like user opinion rather than selected reviews on Retailer/Samsung website.

Probably more than 2 cents but there you go.

Perfect, I'm upgrading from the original Q900R which let's say was less than ideal, have you any experience with gaming next gen or PC on it? How is the built in Atmos, I plan to run through my H/T setup but interesting to hear what built in aufio is like and genuine user opinion is better than any reviewer opinion in my book
I recently got this tv after years of my Panasonic 902b and trying to familiarize myself with the new menus/descriptions isn’t as much fun as I remember.
However I have 2 issues and would appreciate any thoughts/advice/suggestions. The first may be a “seniors” moment. I cannot find a way to launch the tv guide on the standard remote as there is no button. The channel list is there but no guide for setting recordings etc. I have launched it using Alexa (when she understands me) and using the smart remote which has a specific button but prefer to use the standard remote.
The other more annoying issue is It doesn’t play nice with my Denon 2300x AVR. I get a message that…”your device is connected to a port that does not support ARC. Please connect your device to the HDMI 3 ARC port”. The Denon is connected to port 3 and have tried them all. When I first linked them it worked but now I get no sound. I have found other posts online about this issue but no solutions.
Did you manage to link your H/T system without issue?
Any advice would be appreciated
Thx
PS Apart from these issues I am very happy with it so far

I recently got this tv after years of my Panasonic 902b and trying to familiarize myself with the new menus/descriptions isn’t as much fun as I remember.
However I have 2 issues and would appreciate any thoughts/advice/suggestions. The first may be a “seniors” moment. I cannot find a way to launch the tv guide on the standard remote as there is no button. The channel list is there but no guide for setting recordings etc. I have launched it using Alexa (when she understands me) and using the smart remote which has a specific button but prefer to use the standard remote.
The other more annoying issue is It doesn’t play nice with my Denon 2300x AVR. I get a message that…”your device is connected to a port that does not support ARC. Please connect your device to the HDMI 3 ARC port”. The Denon is connected to port 3 and have tried them all. When I first linked them it worked but now I get no sound. I have found other posts online about this issue but no solutions.
Did you manage to link your H/T system without issue?
Any advice would be appreciated
Thx
PS Apart from these issues I am very happy with it so far
Samsung's hdmi will be marked as earc too. Usually hdmi 3

Have you tried that?

EDIT: TV Channel guide is accessible by clicking the channel up/down button.
Unfortunately E-Arc/Arc would not work for me and I resorted to using optical which does the job, when using optical you must change sound output to optical or you won't get 5.1 audio.

Last edited:
Samsung's hdmi will be marked as earc too. Usually hdmi 3

Have you tried that?
Hi. As I mentioned in the post it was connected to hdmi 3 but also I tried them all to no avail. Have given up now and bought the Samsung q930b soundbar to replace my Denon avr and now have my Atmos back. Thx for your interest and assistance, much appreciated

EDIT: TV Channel guide is accessible by clicking the channel up/down button.
Unfortunately E-Arc/Arc would not work for me and I resorted to using optical which does the job, when using optical you must change sound output to optical or you won't get 5.1 audio.
Hi. I know I can launch the guide by holding the volume up/down button on the smart remote but I am talking about the standard remote as I prefer to use that as the smart one involves too many button presses to get anywhere. On previous remotes there was a guide button but it seems to have been replaced by the Disney button on the QN800B. I have learned to access it but in a very round about way. I guess I need to stop watching terrestrial tv on a 8k tv😂😂. As for the optical cable as I mentioned in a different reply I bought a new Samsung q930b soundbar rather than a new 8k avr

Hi guys,

I can get a 65" open box (I dont know if it's a returned or store exhibition unit) QN800B for 650 euros.

Good or bad deal?
Is it very inferior to the 900B of the same size or this year's 800C?

I already have a 75" QN95B in my living room so this would do for my bedroom.

Cheers.

Hi. I know I can launch the guide by holding the volume up/down button on the smart remote but I am talking about the standard remote as I prefer to use that as the smart one involves too many button presses to get anywhere. On previous remotes there was a guide button but it seems to have been replaced by the Disney button on the QN800B. I have learned to access it but in a very round about way. I guess I need to stop watching terrestrial tv on a 8k tv😂😂. As for the optical cable as I mentioned in a different reply I bought a new Samsung q930b soundbar rather than a new 8k avr
We bought an aftermarket BN59-01315A for around $8US, so we could throw the "smart" remote away (actually just sequestered in a drawer). New smart remote is the worst design I've ever seen! As well, Tizen menuing system is horrid (another reason to dump the smart remote).
The "A" is the IMPORTANT part on the model number. It dumps the D+ button in favor of GUIDE . There's a T version and a J version etc. I did hours of digging online to find this info about the "A" version because I didn't even know where to start.
We're much much MUCH happier with this remote, being able to punch in 5-1 and go straight to a channel, instead of surfing 1200 channels, ugh.
I like that Roku gives you an option NOT to integrate streaming channels into your OTA experience. But the "A" model remote seems to be the best solution I've found for this.
As you mentioned, trying to talk to the remote is LESS than optimal! I have ended up just disabling voice input altogether.
Best of luck!
P.S. We bought our 800B 85" for $2500 at Best Buy, Thanksgiving 2023, yes 2023. MANUFACTURE date is Sept 2023 🤯.
Even though this is a 2022 model and the 2023s have been out 6 months . Cha Ching!! Best deal of 2023!!!

Hi. I know I can launch the guide by holding the volume up/down button on the smart remote but I am talking about the standard remote as I prefer to use that as the smart one involves too many button presses to get anywhere. On previous remotes there was a guide button but it seems to have been replaced...
Try the BN59-01415A for $8. It must have the A suffix, not J or T.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom