Samsung NC20

RobM

Distinguished Member
Netbooks are now starting to merge too much with laptops for my liking.

The beauty of the NC10 was it's combination of size, performance and usability. When you start stepping into the 12"+ screen market, you lose one of the biggest benefits of owning a netbook, the tiny form factor. You also find battery life suffers due to the larger screen.

My main 'everyday' laptop is a 12" laptop and the Samsung NC10 I had was notably smaller, making it perfect for light use and getting out and about with it. You lose this when you get too much bigger.

virtual_boy

I agree 12" is no longer really a netbook, more of an ultra portable but your still getting 6hrs from the battery even with that 12" screen.
The smaller components and use of SSD's also keep the wieght down for greater portability.

Reign-Mack

At that size and possibly price I'd rather go for soemthing with a DVD drive, may end up with all the weaknesses instead of all the strength with a hybrid.

planetse

NC20 is really out on its own. Too big for a Netbook, underperforming for a Notebook.

Stick with my NC10 and other notebooks; NC20 has not even interested me in the slightest. :thumbsdow

RobM

Distinguished Member
It's not quite out on it's own, as the Dell Mini 12 will be company for it.

But I agree entirely that these larger 'netbooks' are moving into territory where you'll end up with all the downsides (no optical drive, limited Atom CPU etc) without the upsides (size, weight, battery life).

The price will no doubt go up with the size, pushing them right into the laptop price range.

leeb

I think Sony are on the right track with a very portable 8" screen that still manages a very impressive 1600x768 resolution so you can view 2 pages side by side on screen. Just a shame their Vaio P Series systems are so damn expensive!

Richie_UK

Dabs have the NC20 available to preorder @ £391. IMO its too close to the price of laptops for it to successfully. Dabs also have the 12in Q210 @ £478 which I reckon is worth spending the extra dosh on

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
The new Via processor seems to wipe the floor with the intel atom, on everything but power usage.

Some info on the new 64bit processor

VIA Nano™ Processor - VIA Technologies, Inc.

When it comes to a sheer performance comparison, the VIA Nano rules and the Intel Atom drools. The Nano is simply superior in so many ways when side-by-side with Intel Atom, but that is more from our “power geek” perspective. From our experiences here, the VIA Nano looks to be much better choice than the Intel Atom in the “mini-note” or notebook market.

quote was taken from here:

[H] Enthusiast - Intel Atom vs.VIA Nano

RobM

Distinguished Member
The Atom is due a refresh though, so it will be interesting to make that same comparison in a few months time.

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
The Atom is due a refresh though, so it will be interesting to make that same comparison in a few months time.

Yeah plus I just realised that the Via in that article is a faster Ghz one than the 1.3 thats in the NC20

RobM

Distinguished Member
The NC20 seems to be ideal for those of us with failing eyesight.

The NC10 screen is just too small.

For the price of an NC-20 you could pick up a 15" laptop with a 1280x800 resolution display that will be much easier on the eye. It will also come with an optical drive.

You'll sacrifice a bit of battery life and it will be heavier, but if eyesight is the concern (as well it should be) then there is much more for your money around.

Hades

Distinguished Member

planetse

Reviews from the likes of PC Pro, What HiFi and any other glossy magazines are not worth the paper there written on.
On a tangent but puts these sort of magazines reviews in perspective, don’t forget it’s reviews like £200 HDMI lead for a TV is better than a £10 one when it is proven that this is a load of rubbish.

For the price of the NC20 there are far better Notebooks that do far more; NC20 is neither in the class of the NC10 nor small Notebooks. Bit of as lame one out on its own.

Hades

Distinguished Member
I won't post up any more reviews then :thumbsdow Just thought some might find it of interest.

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
For the price of the NC20 there are far better Notebooks that do far more; NC20 is neither in the class of the NC10 nor small Notebooks. Bit of as lame one out on its own.

Not really, theres the Dell Mini 12 and the Lenovo S20 along with the NC20. It may be a new product sector but one thats going to grow, I am sure MSi and ASUS will announce one soon.

planetse

I won't post up any more reviews then :thumbsdow Just thought some might find it of interest.

Please post reviews but personal ones not glossy magazine ones. Real people's user experiences are the ones that count.

These you can read and get a better feel for how a product really performs, not a dictated personal view from a magazine editor. If I may ask? How is your hunt for a portable computing device going, have you narrowed your search down yet?

At the moment I have the Dell mini 9, Studio 16 and two Sony VGN in front of me I am working on (and my Samsung NC10, I am typing this on), next job is on a MacBook Air. Looking forward to having a play with the MacBook as it might be my next purchase to replace the wife's Dell XPS M1530.

Sorry coffee brake over, back to hard work. ;)

Hades

Distinguished Member
Please post reviews but personal ones not glossy magazine ones. Real people’s user experiences are the ones that count.

These you can read and get a better feel for how a product really performs, not a dictated personal view from a magazine editor. If I may ask? How is your hunt for a portable computing device going, have you narrowed your search down yet?

At the moment I have the Dell mini 9, Studio 16 and two Sony VGN in front of me I am working on (and my Samsung NC10, I am typing this on), next job is on a MacBook Air. Looking forward to having a play with the MacBook as it might be my next purchase to replace the wife’s Dell XPS M1530.

Sorry coffee brake over, back to hard work. ;)
My what a lot of notebooks/netbooks you have sir. I look forward to all your personal reviews, so I won't have to make do with glossy magazine ones :smashin:

SirDeano

Hi, i've got myself a NC20 about a week ago. Absolutley love the machine. Getting about 4+ hours from the battery.

My question is about the memory, i want to upgrade to the 2GB RAM. I just went onto the Crucial.com site but they only got the NC10 listed on their site. Is the 2GB memory stick for the NC10 EXACTLY the same spec as the NC20 ?

Just making sure b4 i buy :)

planetse

My what a lot of notebooks/netbooks you have sir. I look forward to all your personal reviews, so I won't have to make do with glossy magazine ones :smashin:

The IT department that I work in, on an average day I have at least 12 laptops and Netbooks in front of me (not all at the same time thank God). At home I only have a Dell XPS M1730, Dell Studio 15, Old trusty Dell Inspiron 9400, Samsung NC10 and at the moment a very nice MacBook my wife is trying out to replace the XPS M1530 she had.

Working with them all day long (still at work now) I could not careless about reviews etc, see this many and they mean nothing any more. I have found what works well for me and that is Dell, with over £3000 invested in my M1730 there is only the Alien that can outperform it. Spend most of my personal time sitting around surfing on my NC10; mite catch a burger from McDonalds on the way home. The wife is out so good excuse for a bit of grub out and free time on there HotSpot surfing. :smashin:

One tip with any computer. Don’t wait around for the next new model, they have and all ways will be updated with a new model faster than you can read a copy of your favourite glossy mag.

Before they even get on the shelves there out of date. :rolleyes:

Hades

Distinguished Member
One tip with any computer. Don’t wait around for the next new model, they have and all ways will be updated with a new model faster than you can read a copy of your favourite glossy mag.

Before they even get on the shelves there out of date. :rolleyes:
I am fully aware of the out of date before hitting the shelf. As I am forever swapping my gadgets for the latest thing. But I am glad I never purchased an NC10 at the weekend with 3 new models now announced.

As for glossy magazines... I only purchase ones on movies :D

planetse

You could push me over with a Dandelion; all these years of being brain washed by Microsoft and totally loyal to laptops by Intel, I finally find something that turns my head.

Just having my first play with an Apple MacBook Air and I am smitten. :blush:

[email protected]@ forget Netbooks and Notebooks, this nocks them for six on looks alone.

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
You could push me over with a Dandelion; all these years of being brain washed by Microsoft and totally loyal to laptops by Intel, I finally find something that turns my head.

Just having my first play with an Apple MacBook Air and I am smitten. :blush:

[email protected]@ forget Netbooks and Notebooks, this nocks them for six on looks alone.

The Air definitely has that special something.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series