Samsung Nc10 Netbook: Buy here or abroad?

Big_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I'm thinking about buying a Samsung NC10 for which i'm going to mostly use it while i'm over in the far east in August. In people's honest opinions, would i be a fool to buy it here when i could possibly get it cheaper in Hong Kong?

Anyone come back from the far east recently, that could shed some light?

Thanks

If your gonna buy it in HK I wouldn't get an NC10 I would get one of the newer netbooks like the asus 1008HA.

Check Fortress for prices (bit like dixons in HK), they are not the cheapest usually but you know what your getting with them and they are quite good at returning defective items which most small hong kong dealers are rubbish at. The HK$ is linked to the US$ so prices are not great at the moment, though you will get the best choice anywhere in the world.

http://www.fortress.com.hk/

Whatever you do, don't get dragged into one of the 'neons' on nathan road:nono::rotfl:, they'll be trying to charge extra for the battery,charger and instructions lol

Last edited:
Despite the former status of hong-kong I believe british keyboards are fairly rare over there so you may end up with an odd layout if you buy there.

I've been having a read since I posted this thread, and it seems I might have some issues with the default regional XP language, with it being in Chinese. The keyboard layout might be different to that which we are used to in the UK. More importantly though is the possibility of not having an international warranty.

I'm still going to give it some thought though.

With the current exchange rate, your saving will be minimal. I am heading to HK this autumn but I'm looking to buy a Samsung N110 here before taking it over there to use :D

Buy where you get best after sales/return policy.

I bought a Sam NC10 from Amazon's 'Warehouse'. This is Amazon's returns outlet and has the same returns policy as Amazon itself. The NC10 was £270 - a good saving - but was defective. Sent it back to Amazon and got an immediate refund in full.

Kept my eye on the NC10 page on Amazon and sure enough, a week later another NC10 appeared via 'Warehouse'. [it wasn't the one I returned. I did wonder but it was black not white!]

Someone called Rebecca had owned it previously [according to the log-on accounts on boot-up] but had returned it. This one had a prob with XP but a call to Sam's excellent helpline had it fixed in mins. So I got Rebecca's NC10 for £40 less than she had originally paid and I still have all the g'tee and after sales from Amazon to fall back on if things go wrong.

Hi do you have a link to this amazon warehouse. Cheers.

Amazon Warehouse items appear in the 'available from other sellers' or 'available from these sellers' links on the product page of any item [can be books/dvd/cameras/anything that someone has bought through Amazon directly and then returned.]

Look over to the right of the page. Usually there is a box with other sellers.

Amazon calls this 3rd party seller list "The Marketplace" and unlike Amazon itself [above £9 spend], there are charges for postage, even from their own 'Warehouse'. Marketplace sellers have feedback scores, like eBay. Warehouse stuff is bomb-proof because it is Amazon's back door. Other sellers must be appraised as to their trustworthyness. Check their feedback, as per eBay.

Sam NC10s will crop up on The Marketplace all the time. There is a good German seller called Avides. They usually charge £0 p/p and can be trusted 100%. They sell returns from the general retail market, often just because a box has been opened. I've had a Sony DVD recorder from them, no probs.

Don't forget two important Laws. 1] The Sale of Goods Act says that a product must be 'fit for purpose'. If it is duff or it does not fit the specs you stated to the seller [you must be absolutely clear on this and have proof of what you specified], come what may, you must receive a replacement or a refund, depending on the circumstances. 2] The Distance Selling Act allows you to send anything back if you decide you don't want it. I think the 'cooling off' period is 14 days. Generally, the item must be in its sealed package and unlike Sale of Goods Act returns, you don't get a refund of the costs of returning it.

I just registered my NC10 on Sam's site. Despite it having been pre-owned, the registration went through.

Hi Chris thanks for the detailed response, I shall keep a look out for it on Amazon. Let s hope my luck is in. Enjoy your NC10.

Attention ! Warning !Amazon Warehouse probs !

I have just had to return my NC10 to Amazon. This is the second one bought through 'Warehouse' [as I predicted, there are several available there now] and is a duff as the first.

Amazon do not do a thorough job on these NC10s before selling them on 'Warehouse'. They get sent back in the first place because of defects and they re-emerge on 'Warehouse' with the problems still on board.

If you buy one from 'Warehouse' and it's duff, you get excellent return service - my 2nd duff one is being collected on Monday after calling Amazon's help line at 7pm Friday evening.

But what we want is a good, stable working piece of kit in the first place.

For this reason I say avoid 'Warehouse' NC10s unless you want to mess with a continual process of sending duff ones back, till a good 'un arrives.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom