• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung NC10 and Photoshop Elements5

curduns

Standard Member
Hi, I hope someone can help or at least point me in the right direction. I have had my NC10 for 2 weeks and love it! I do occasional picture editing and picture building (scrapbooking) using my main pc and PSE5 but would like to add it to my NC10 for when away from home or on the move. When I tried to install it was given the message need VGA, now I'm not very technical but can just about get by so can I just download from the internet a VGA adapter and then everything will be alright or is it more complicated than that.

Thanks in advance. Jac

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I'm guessing the installer is complaining that your resolution isn't high enough, are you running your machine at the default 1024x600? (check under display properties).

curduns

Standard Member
Hi, yes I am and that appears to be at its highest and the DPI (not sure what that is) is set to normal at 96 does that help at all?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
@ducattigezzer: Which specification doesn't it meet? The atom is certainly faster than some pentium 4s/celerons, the NC10 has more than 256mb of memory and the GMA 950 is definitely directX 9 compatible. It doesn't quite meet the resolution 'requirement', but that's usually just a suggestion and not enforced. And if it did require 1024x768 then why ask for VGA and not XGA?

Hi, yes I am and that appears to be at its highest and the DPI (not sure what that is) is set to normal at 96 does that help at all?

That's not the DPI, that's the DPI scaling. The idea is to adjust it to match it to the DPI of the screen so everybody sees the same size text (e.g. 12pt) at the same physical size. However, hardly anyone bothers to so if you do adjust it you'll find things look odd and some programs just refuse to work.

VGA can refer to several things, it can be an old fashioned video standard (unlikely), a physical connector used for screens (also, unlikely) or the resolution of 640x480. As you're got a higher resolution than that, the error message is at least wrong.

Do you have a spare VGA cable so you can plug the NC10 into an external monitor? That'll tell us whether it's complaining about the screen resolution.

curduns

Standard Member
have plugged into an external monitor (15inch) and tried on both display sizes that it allows and message says need VGA resolution or higher.:(

psikey

Distinguished Member
I believe theres a display manager on the Samsung site which lets you choose 1024x768, Give it a try, might let you install it then.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
have plugged into an external monitor (15inch) and tried on both display sizes that it allows and message says need VGA resolution or higher.:(

hmm, was one of the options on the 15" 1024x768? That should have worked. It appears adobe do insist on a resolution of 1024x768 or higher, despite the misleading error message.

curduns

Standard Member
hmm, was one of the options on the 15" 1024x768? That should have worked. It appears adobe do insist on a resolution of 1024x768 or higher, despite the misleading error message.

No this wasnt an option but my main pc is set to 1024x768 but the info ducattigezzer pointed me to has allowed me to change NC10 to 1024x768 and I have to scroll desktop which is not a problem so am now going to try and install PSE5, so fingers crossed it all works out! I'll be back to let you know.

curduns

Standard Member
:thumbsup: Thank you everyone for your help, I have now managed to install and use photoshop elements 5 on my NC10 and am quickly getting used to scrolling the display. I am most certainly a happy bunny. :clap::D

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom