Samsung mu6400 or Sony XE7073

henneth

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry for another topic amongst so many...this TV choosing lark is confusing. Taking my budget into consideration, i've got a choice between the Samsung MU6400 or Sony XE7073.

Whilst no one can tell me which one to get, I was wondering if there is anyone with any anecdotal experience with either one. I'm leaning towards the Sony as I prefer the design, but if there is anything in particular that stands out as good/bad in either one, that would make my choice easier!

Mostly general use, for gaming, streaming, movies and watching normal TV!

Thanks so much :)

Which size are you looking at? Both models have different panel types at different sizes this year.

Why have you narrowed it down to those two?

Ah, sorry - 55 inches!

Well, it was a toss-up between these and the Hisense but I eliminated that simply because there seem to be a few more complaints on the owners threads than the other two brands.

Otherwise, these two are pretty much in my budget (£750 max) ! I got overwhelmed looking at all the other brands/options so narrowed it down to these two.

What are you currently using?
Why are you upgrading?
What are you expecting to be better than your current TV?
How close will you view the TV?
Do you need wide viewing angles?
Will you have any UHD or HDR sources? - eg will you be gaming with a HDR console?
Can you wait to buy until black friday when prices will likely be lower?

Ah, yes more details would help...

What are you currently using?
A 32 inch 1080p LG TV. My bar is low.

Why are you upgrading?
Moving to a new place, good excuse for getting a nice, big new TV.

What are you expecting to be better than your current TV?
Bigger screen, smart features, better picture quality, nice aesthetics

How close will you view the TV?

This i'm not sure of, but I think we arent moving into a mansion, so wouldn't be more than 6-8 feet.

Do you need wide viewing angles?
I wouldn't say this is a priority

Will you have any UHD or HDR sources? - eg will you be gaming with a HDR console?
No UHD sources yet, other than whatever streaming sources may give, but likely to get a 'pro' console at some point.

Can you wait to buy until black friday when prices will likely be lower?
If I was smart, I would but im impatient and not keen to wait a month...

Thank you!

Based on your priorities and the approximate budget of the current TVs you are looking at I would recommend one of the two below:

Sony XE70 | LED | 4K Ultra HD | High Dynamic Range (HDR) | Smart TV if you look on their website there are multiple models of the same TV. The XE7073 you looked at has a silver design with stronger motionflow settings included if you want to smooth out motion or reduce blur in the settings of the TV. The other versions are black in design and include motionflow settings that can't quite be set as high. When choosing the model, just choose the design you like the best for the price you like the best. The motionflow isn't really that important and I would be surprised if you notice a difference.

Hisense N6800 TV | Hisense UK

The Sony is missing the comprehensive smart TV system that there is on its higher range models, but in terms of PQ for your uses it will be better than any Sony TV until you reach the far more expensive XE85 range. Depending on which way you look this can be a pro or a con. Anrdroid TV has more functionality and apps, but also tends to be more bloated and slightly slower than other options. Instead the Sony comes with opera TV which doesn't include Freeview Play and instead has a selection of individual apps. You get Amazon Video and Netflix of course but catch up apps are limited to Demand 5 and iPlayer, so against a TV with Freeview play you are missing catch-up services like UKTVplay, ITV player and All4.

The Hisense on the other hand has Freeview play, plus the essential Amazon and Netflix apps. This isn't the only advantage, the Hisense has a wide colour gamut which will give you more saturated colours when you use a source with HDR. Some people also rate the built in sound of the Hisense pretty highly.

For your uses I question the value of having a wide colour gamut for HDR since you don't currently have any UHD sources so I would be airing on the side of getting the Sony.

Avoid the Samsung MU6 TVs at 55" they likely use inferior PLS type panels and also use 3:2 pulldown to play films so they exhibit 3:2 pulldown judder.

Based on your priorities and the approximate budget of the current TVs you are looking at I would recommend one of the two below:

The Sony is missing the comprehensive smart TV system that there is on its higher range models, but in terms of PQ for your uses it will be better than any Sony TV until you reach the far more expensive XE85 range.

By this, do you mean picture quality? This would be a big plus...

You get Amazon Video and Netflix of course but catch up apps are limited to Demand 5 and iPlayer, so against a TV with Freeview play you are missing catch-up services like UKTVplay, ITV player and All4.

This is interesting, and quite disappointing. Do they tend to update the TV to include these, or would this never happen?

the Hisense has a wide colour gamut which will give you more saturated colours when you use a source with HDR. Some people also rate the built in sound of the Hisense pretty highly.

For your uses I question the value of having a wide colour gamut for HDR since you don't currently have any UHD sources so I would be airing on the side of getting the Sony.

You really sound like you know what you're talking about, and it seems that overall, the Sony is the better choice, despite the Hisense having some more smart features/better colour? Are there any clear advantages on the Sony over the Hisense, as from the above it seems to be in favour of the Hisense.

Thank you very much for your time!

By this, do you mean picture quality? This would be a big plus...
Yes. Picture quality. Deeper blacks, higher contrast ratio and overall better screen uniformity in the dark compared to the higher range XE83/XE80. This counts for both Hisense 55N6800 and Sony 55XE70 btw.

This is interesting, and quite disappointing. Do they tend to update the TV to include these, or would this never happen?
I wouldn't count on it but you never know. Its not worth relying on the built in smart tv regardless of the platform though. If you want Kodi and decent smart TV at a low cost just get a fire TV or stick. I have one and it outperforms every smart TV.

You really sound like you know what you're talking about, and it seems that overall, the Sony is the better choice, despite the Hisense having some more smart features/better colour? Are there any clear advantages on the Sony over the Hisense, as from the above it seems to be in favour of the Hisense.

The Sony probably has better colour accuracy out of the box for SDR sources (eg anything that isn't HDR). Some people prefer the picture processing of the Sony but I don't personally rate it any better than Hisense...certainly at this price. The Sony lovers here won't like me for saying it, but compared to the Hisense it isn't really as good value, its just value per brand. (eg those who favour Sony as a brand).

Thanks for this. Seems that Hisense is the better TV in terms of picture quality and overall value. No idea which to go for, but you've been very helpful. Maybe I will just flip a coin and let the TV gods decide.

I have the same predicament, ruled out Samsung’s and lgs due to the panel, narrowed it down to the xe70 or Hisense. Waiting till Black Friday to se if they drop in price more

Any idea which one you're leaning towards? My mind keeps changing...

The way I see it, they are more or less comparable, with the hisense having brighter colours and better smart function. Despite this, my gut is saying Sony, and I don't know why.

Hisense, I think due to the slightly better spec. But also drawn to the Sony due to the brand etc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom