Samsung MS225MW - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by flygti, Sep 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. flygti

flygti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi All

Just wanted to share my experience so far with the 22" Widescreen Samsung TV/Monitor. Picked it up a couple of days ago from Argos for 249 quid with 3 year warranty. Seemed an excellent price as searches on the web threw up this Tv/monitor for 300 on average.

TV is Samsung glossy black with thin silver strip along the bottom. Looks pretty good - even the wife approved. Touch sensitive controls are cool in theory but annoying in use.

Main use is for a monitor. So far - happy! Great picture at full res (1680 x 1050) via VGA. Haven't tried the DVI or HDMI connector yet. In a dim room on a black screen there is some clouding around the edges but does not bother me in normal use and also better than my Dell and HP monitors that I use daily.

Have only tried TV via Scart and AV connectors and it is terrible (haven't tried component or RF yet). Resembles those cheap and nasty LCD screens in woolworths. There are hardly any settings to adjust so am at a loss how to improve it. Played with colour, sharpness, contrast and brightness but bad no matter which way I do it. As far as a TV goes so far I couldn't recommend it at all. If anyone knows of a service menu or some secret settings somewhere please let me know!

Next plan is to hook up a PS3 and XBOX. Given the performance of the monitor I don't expect any problems via VGA or HDMI. Screen will even accept 1080p (then downscale of course).

Sound is fairly poor (but as expected for a monitor).

Overall happy as my main use is for PC and PS3 (soon!) but dissapointed with TV. I think maybe I should have gone for the LG equivalent since it seems to have more TV processing than the Samsung but then AFAIK the monitor is not as good.

That's all folks.

2. jJokunen

jJokunen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments. I have also considered this to be used as both PC display and 2nd TV. I don't expect the TV quality to be anything special but it would be great if it was acceptable to be used as bedroom TV. From your description it doesn't sound like it is :( The connection possibilities in this are better than in LG, so I was thinking this as my first choice. Perhaps I need to take a closer look at the LG. Also, I probably need to think if could drop the TV tuner and go for PC based DVB tuner.

3. flygti

flygti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well perhaps I was a little hasty. I have been watching TV from approx. 1 -2 foot away from the screen (since it is my PC). My wife and daughter watching from 6 - 12 feet away think it is fine. As a bedroom/casual TV it is probably fine for SD and I suspect it will be pretty good for HD.

I would certainly look at the LG and Samsung if possible although I could not find anywhere that had either on display. Remember if you get the Samsung from Argos you have 30 days to return it for any reason so worth a punt.

4. Keva

Keva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear it performs well as an actul monitor. To bad the TV isnt as good. Have you tried plugging in one of those freeview adaptors into the scart socket?

Wondering if the picture is bad due to the brightness/contrast or interference?

5. flygti

flygti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have installed a Hauppage digital TV tuner card in my PC and am pleased to report the image is much better..

6. bape

bape

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi fly gti, i also got the s225mw couple of days ago from argos. so far ive been very impressed by the crisp picture quality, and as for the tv quality it is definitely much better than i expected! i mean its not the best quality but it certainly is sufficient enough when watching tv to fall asleep to, but most of all i think its amazing having the two in one!
    more importantly i was just wondering if uve had any problems with ur monitor? cos im thinking of taking it back and getting a new one. Everytime i switch from tv to pc i can hear a very discreet tune/noise coming from the monitor... i have NO idea wat this is but u can just about hear it if u put ur ear right next to it! its like a electronic tune, very quiet, cant quite make it out!
    one more thing, have you tried plugging in ur xbox360 or ps3 via an HDMI cable?? ive got a major problem where the sound is really messed up, i mean ive tried everything, changing the settings both on the tv and the ps3. with a scart connection the sound is totally fine, but when connected with hdmi, the speakers on the monitor sound like they are gunna blow up, very fuzzy. any advice??

7. flygti

flygti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Bape. Glad you are happy with the PQ although the other 2 issues sound worrying.

I don't hear any sound when switching between PC, EXT and TV.

Unfortunately I haven't yet had chance to rig it up to an HDMI source (Xbox didn't come over the weekend as hoped). There is very little in the way of setup options though so I am guessing you have a faulty one sorry.

I will post here as soon as I have tested HDMI

8. Keva

Keva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got this moniter through today. Looks awesome.

Having a few quibbles installing the driver and sorting out the overall PQ.

Edit: got the driver installed. Will sort the PQ out later.

**** me 22 inch is huge compared to my old 17 inch 4:3. Gonna try HL2 out later. Should look awesome in widescreen.

Will try out the TV later.

9. bape

bape

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

yeah im gunna go back to argos tommoro morning and get a new one. sorted out the ps3 hdmi link issue (sort of). instead of letting the sound come thru the monitor i just got an optical cable and connected it to my stereo, sound is awesome cos it has dolby surround. however, i still have no idea why the sound is so awful when connected to the monitor via hdmi! but i do love this monitor tho. is anyone gunna bother connecting the monitor to the pc via hdmi by any chance. what are the advantages of this??

10. Keva

Keva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just trying the TV out now. Blimey its bad! Alot of interference I think. Probally a rubbish lead. Gonna get one of those scart freeview thingy's next month.

11. IRP2010

IRP2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have been reseraching the 226BW monitor and was on the verge of buying until I came across the panel issue and the release of this MS225MW. So any more reviews and opinions on it would be welcome.

I dont desparately need it as a TV but for another £25 may as well? Would just need to work out if I like the look of it etc.

So 226BW (monitor) v MS225MW (Tv and Monitor)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

12. flygti

flygti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    As a monitor I have absolutely no complaints. As a TV it is useable. I have recently started watching the TV PIP on my 1680x1050 desktop (loads of space to accomodate the PIP). I have also rigged up a wireless transmitter from Sky into the monitor so I can watch analogue, sky and PC w/o a tuner card. I use the tuner card to watch digital tv. Sky+ arrives next week so I am going to try HDMI then.

Remember... since it is a monitor you get 3 years warranty from Samsung. :smashin:

13. Zola_Blue

Zola_Blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Flygti

Are you able to plug a standard analogue TV aerial into the SM225MW?

14. flygti

flygti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Zola_Blue.
    Absolutely.
    Standard RF input for aerial.
    RGB input
    Scart input
    Component input
    DVI input
    HDMI input
    VGA input
    :D

15. Farrmark

Farrmark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Getting this on Sunday to replace my LG 22LS4R due to a dodgy HDMI port!!

Anyone had any other problmes with it?

I plan to have my 360 via HDMI, PC via VGA and then my other consoles via SCART or Component.

Hopefully it'll be fine......

16. IRP2010

IRP2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How was the monitor? I am thinkin of getting this tomorrow

IRP

17. connor1

connor1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Can anyone let me know what this looks like when playing a console on. Thinking of getting one to put PC / PS3 and 360 on which as far as I can tell I have enough sockets

PC to DVI - I dont play games on the PC BTW
    PS3 to HDMI and
    360 to VGA

I wont be using it for TV so thats not an issue

18. TechHit

TechHit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've had THREE replacement SM225MWs... This is now my 4th one, and for the last two months it's been fine, all of a sudden I found that the gamma is set too high, and no adjustment of the colours can correct it - making everything super-white.

1st one = occasional pink picture & complete loss of picture
    2nd one = dead pixel
    3rd one = gamma problem
    4th one = gamma problem + non response of any controls on tv or remote unless I pull the power cable out and plug it back in.

This monitor has some serious manufacturing quality issues.

19. redblackred

redblackred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Got mine a couple of days ago now.

On PC mode [VGA] its perfect. On HDMI with ps3, up close its not so great but sitting a few feeet away is fine as you would expect. I got no dead pixels or problems whatsoever (finally!!). The touch senseitive tv buttons are a nice feature but i dont really use them. Its perfect for me. The TV isn't great - if you want an idea go ino argos and look at their display AS tvs and you'll seee what its like here. But as bedroom TV its fine also. I only bought a PS3 for a game, which was crap. Then bought this telly for the PS3 - now i've just spent £500 on building a new pc for the screen - no student loan anymore ;)

20. Harpsy

Harpsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just bought one of these and really pleased with the screen quality with my PS3

The reason I bought it was so the wife could still watch TV while I play games :)
    Only trouble is, I have to use headphones and when I plug them into the TV the sound still comes through the speakers, and theres nothing through the headphones!
    Has anyone else had this problem, or could someone with this TV try headphones in them to see if I'm doing something wrong (I assume it should recognise I have headphones plugged in automatically?)
    Cheers in advance
    Harpsy

21. Mikelowry

Mikelowry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive just bought this tv/monitor, but how do you take the stand off it as i want to wall mount it?

22. Dan 800

Dan 800
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have just got this SM225MW tv/monitor from Argos and I'm sad to say that it is going back. The sound quality of the PS3 through HDMI is terrible and it sounds like the speakers have broke. Hopefully I will get back the £250 i paid for the tv/monitor and i will then go out and purchase a more reliable television such as a 20" bravia. The only good thing about this television is that it is able to show 1080p on both Xbox 360 & PS3 but i would be willing to put up with a 19" 1080i with good quality sound ... any suggestions ?

23. Mich437

Mich437

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im thinking of buying this monitor for use with my ps3.
    As far as im aware the picture quality is great, but speaker system is not good when used through hdmi.

But can you not plug in a normal speaker system?
    As in through a headphone socket?

24. Dan 800

Dan 800
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I suppose you could put speakers through it but i'm unsure to whether you can put them through the headphone input

25. Mich437

Mich437

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the tv.

PS3 is connected through HDMI.
    But considering hooking up speakers from the PS3 using the scart connection, ie the red and white cables. Anyone tried this with their PS3?

26. steffparry

steffparry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Yes and it works perfectly. Just remember to change the audio settings in the PS3 menu to output via the analogue multi out.

Oh and for those having audio problems with this TV via HMDI, you can fix it with music and video by turning the PLAYSTATION volume down (press triangle during playback) until the distortion stops, then turn the TV volume up. For games, you normally have to go into the game's menu for the audio settings whilst playing. This won't work on the XMB (when game thumbnails play music before they're clicked).

I've had this TV for a year and think it's superb value and great for PS3.