Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview (13/06/21)

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
In this podcast special, we interview Craig Cunningham from Samsung to discuss the current line-up of TVs for 2021. We cover Micro LED and the technology's introduction into homes this year as well as the NEO QLED line-up of 4K and 8K panels.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Steve Withers.

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:

AVRAG

Ah... That age old Dolby Vision question 🤣
I do appreciate what he says that actually, even the best LG OLED can't even hit 1000 nits so it's not really delivering Dolby Vision either. But then I guess the argument is, well Samsung can't go completely black, so it's tit for tat?

I guess since they're selling so well, it's not like they need a DV logo to help sales either?

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Cheers for the interview guys.
Glad to hear micro will be one panel, sounds like the 75” is on the way over the next few years. Wonder what price that bad boy will be, good upgrade from my 65”oled.

Last edited:

Gordon2147

Hi Phil,

Watched this and enjoyed getting the info and feedback from Samsung, really pleased they wanted to the podcast as well.

I picked up on the improvements they are making to the built in sound, whilst I would hardly call a TV with multiple well placed speakers "surround sound", where Craig described audio moving across the screen matching the movement in the scene, but I did feel that using the TV speakers in conjunction with the sound bar could be useful in adding immersion, particularly in a medium sized lounge where the effect could be easily recognised.

I am all for the improvement of the built in speakers to add to the general sound when not using the 'bar.

Keep the coming, and would also like an opportunity next time for Samsung to talk through the top 2 soundbars as well and see if they are moving to battery powered rears.

But as I said thanks for getting them on and let's have more, hifi, headphone, speakers etc...

Gordon

MrMrH

Thanks for that. I enjoy these interviews, it's nice to get a quick run through their range of products.
Shame there wasn't more talk about their soundbars, I have no interest in their TVs due to their lack of DV, and wasn't convinced by the answers he provided given how little (if any) of their range gets anywhere near 4,000 nits in a calibrated mode. Steve's review of the QN900A had it maxing out around 1,600 nits, but that's the companies line so it needed to be said.

I'm very tempted with the HW-Q950A as it seems like a cracker ... but the question I would have liked to know is if they are planning to allow people to bounce the rear sides off the back wall if your couch is up against the wall, that way you can have the speakers to the side and still get (reflected) sound from behind you. Hopefully that can be covered when Steve reviews the unit.

AVRAG

I have no interest in their TVs due to their lack of DV, and wasn't convinced by the answers he provided given how little (if any) of their range gets anywhere near 4,000 nits in a calibrated mode. Steve's review of the QN900A had it maxing out around 1,600 nits, but that's the companies line so it needed to be said.
But then at least their TVs get more than 100% closer to 4000 nits than an 800 nit OLED?

To me getting closer by brightness is better than being out played in blacks?

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
nice hearing about micro LED but still a pipe dream until its 65" under £4,000 for the average AV enthusiast (unless plays in the premier league or happens to be super rich)

MrMrH

But then at least their TVs get more than 100% closer to 4000 nits than an 800 nit OLED?

To me getting closer by brightness is better than being out played in blacks?
Everyone has what they prefer, for me the most important thing is mainly wide viewing angles as I have a couch off at about 60degrees from the screen. They have improved that tech but based on what I saw last year and the reviews I have seen elsewhere the LED TVs are there yet.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like Samsung but they seem to keep dropping the ball in one or two key areas, no Atmos in a TV with an array of speakers built in, no DV support which is fine for 1000 nit content, but not for 4000 nits ... even "The Frame" which is a TV I was considering for the room my better half doesn't want a TV in isn't an option because the off axis viewing is so terrible on it ... I would think a screen designed to be like a picture would let you look at it from different angles.
I think Samsung are going to have killer tech in the future but right now they are letting themselves down.

davidcrofter

nice hearing about micro LED but still a pipe dream until its 65" under £4,000 for the average AV enthusiast (unless plays in the premier league or happens to be super rich)

Even at that price-point it's very much a niche product.

Was surprised that the new Micro-LED is seemingly going to be one panel as I was under the illusion it would still be made up of several panels. I imagine any reviews for this will be where the calibrator pays Samsung a visit for the day but it will be interesting to see if they have any flaws or drawbacks whatsoever (apart from cost).

33Nicolas

Novice Member
Great podcast and interview. However, I don't see myself buying anything anymore from Samsung. The arrogance of the company when confronted with their TV "spying" on us saying that we shouldn't have important talks in front of it at home turned me off. My Samsung S7 was so locked I couldn't put another OS on it.

I find smaller companies have better products and focus on one or two, not everything under the sun, and stretch themselves thin.

Maybe in a decade if the company is a little more humble.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom