samsung m87 or panasonic px80

oliwog

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi there i currently own a samsung 40 " m87 lcd which has a minor fault on the software (movie plus feat dont work on 1080p signals) anyway i got this tv at a discount for £600 from a retailer and cos of the fault i can get an exchange but only for the same value of £600 bit of a **** take but hey.
so i wndered about the panasonic px80 and wether taking into consideration the difference in resolution if this would be a better tv or if i am best off sticking with my minor fault an watching things in lower resolution(1080i) to make use of the movie plus feat.
i would go for the5 or 6 series samsung but cant afford to put anything extra towards the price at the mo.
any info on people thoughts on the px80 would be appreciated as this is about the only tv i can get for a similar price in a same size or bigger
or any other suggestions of any other tvs would be handy to
thanks

A question that keeps returning, and the 1080p-marketing-machine is mostly the reason for this. If you're NOT sitting VERY close to the tv (I'm talking about <1,5m) and if you don't intend to use it as a PC monitor too, definitely go for the PX80.

Why? The difference between HDReady and FullHD is almost invisible at a screen this size, and even less so when you're setting further away from it. But you WILL notice better colours, better blacks, less ghosting, more contrast and overall better picture quality (not talking about resolution, but overall quality) on the PX80.

I'm not saying the Samsung LCD tv's are bad, but I also had to make the choice a few weeks ago since I needed a second tv for my gaming needs, and still decided to go for the PX80 which sits now in my 'gaming corner' in our bedroom (so I can get my entertainment when wife/daughter are watching the Pio downstairs).

A question that keeps returning, and the 1080p-marketing-machine is mostly the reason for this. If you're NOT sitting VERY close to the tv (I'm talking about <1,5m) and if you don't intend to use it as a PC monitor too, definitely go for the PX80.

Why? The difference between HDReady and FullHD is almost invisible at a screen this size, and even less so when you're setting further away from it. But you WILL notice better colours, better blacks, less ghosting, more contrast and overall better picture quality (not talking about resolution, but overall quality) on the PX80.

I'm not saying the Samsung LCD tv's are bad, but I also had to make the choice a few weeks ago since I needed a second tv for my gaming needs, and still decided to go for the PX80 which sits now in my 'gaming corner' in our bedroom (so I can get my entertainment when wife/daughter are watching the Pio downstairs).

What a load of rubbish. I have a 40" 1080p screen and can clearly see the HUGE difference between 1080p on it and 720p on my 32" Sony LCD at the same distance of 13 feet. By your reasoning the smaller 32" lower resolution screen should look better right or at very best at least as good as the full HD screen? Get your eyes checked.:rolleyes:

To the OP. With regards to them returning it for a TV of the same value as the cost that you actually paid for it, what's taking the **** about that?

What a load of rubbish. I have a 40" 1080p screen and can clearly see the HUGE difference between 1080p on it and 720p on my 32" Sony LCD at the same distance of 13 feet.

You guys from planet Krypton should know that human eyes are inferior to your's...:rotfl:

I also have a 40 inch LCD and from 11 feet i find it hard to tell the difference between upscaled DVD and 1080p material.

I forgot to mention that i have 10/10 eye vision.

well ive checked on loads of tvs including my samsung and had the px80 next to an 1080p panasonic screen amongst others and found it difficult to tell the difference, the px80 will accept the signal so its good enough for me
i really do think that people who say there is a big difference in picture between resolutions need check it again cos on the same size screen running the same signal especially on anything smaller than 46-50" there is minimal difference the only tv that has a difference i found was the samsung f86 model which is amazingly sharp on HD anyway compared to any other tv

i am wondering if the 100 hz really works cos i found when ive looked at the px80 i can still notice some judder on panning scenes although this may be the setup/equpiment whereas the lcds with 100hz makes a big difference and its super smooth. (the movie plus feature on the samsungs does a similar thing)
i do use it for gaming to so was interested to how it would perform with that

A Panasonic PX80 has a 1024 horizontal resolution. A Samsung M87 has a 1920 horizontal resolution. That's almost double. The blacks on a M86/M87 are also just as good as a Panasonic plasma (see link below).

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40M86BD/Picture-Quality.php

Blu Rays are in 1920 x 1080. I would rather watch them on a set with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 personally.

A Panasonic PX80 has a 1024 horizontal resolution. A Samsung M87 has a 1920 horizontal resolution. That's almost double. The blacks on a M86/M87 are also just as good as a Panasonic plasma (see link below).

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40M86BD/Picture-Quality.php

Blu Rays are in 1920 x 1080. I would rather watch them on a set with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 personally.

Yes by crushing the blacks and in turn loosing shadow detail :D

Saying that though my samsung didnt fair to well against 2 crappy lcd sets on the Gadget Show last week :rotfl:

Yes by crushing the blacks and in turn loosing shadow detail :D

I say: Ohhhh no it doesn't...

You say: Ohhhh yes it does...

Etc, etc...yawn.

Each to his own. The resolutions are different, fact.:) I'm not getting into another stupid Plasma Vs LCD argument.

The OP asked for opinions so I gave him one.

I agree that Samsung M86 has crushed blacks.

I say: Ohhhh no it doesn't...

You say: Ohhhh yes it does...

Etc, etc...yawn.

Each to his own. The resolutions are different, fact.:) I'm not getting into another stupid Plasma Vs LCD argument.

The OP asked for opinions so I gave him one.
Erm.. you were the one to link to the HDTVTest review!

So, when the review praises the black level, it is accepted as fact, when it points to black crush and lost shadow detail does it ceases to be a valid source of information?

A Panasonic PX80 has a 1024 horizontal resolution. A Samsung M87 has a 1920 horizontal resolution. That's almost double.

Yea but that is STATIC RESOLUTION. When things start to move on the screen then M87 is left with 300 lines out of 1080...:rolleyes:

Guess it was the wrong place to post a pro LCD comment.:rotfl:

Guess it was the wrong place to post a pro LCD comment.:rotfl:

I own two LCDs mate...:rotfl:

M87 is a fine TV though although i have heard that lately they are using AU Optronics panels instead of S-PVA.:confused:

I own two LCDs mate...:rotfl:

M87 is a fine TV though although i have heard that lately they are using AU Optronics panels instead of S-PVA.:confused:

I bought my M86 recently and it has an 'S' on the back.
That letter tells panel manufacturer: S = Samsung, A = AU Optronics, C = Chi Mei Optoelectronics.
I may just have been lucky though.

Where exactly is the "S"

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom