• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung M87 & Marantz DV7001 HDMI Problem

AcademicBarzo

Just out of interest, anyone having 'problems' with DVD players and the JustScan mode of the TV at 1080p? I have a Marantz DV-7001, and it [email protected] 1080p without concern, but there is a gap between the screen mask and the screen image on the right hand side (not present if I select 16.9 mode).This is an obvious border at the right hand side of the picture (bigger in PAL than NTSC), between the end of the picture and the screen masking. Someone on the DVD forums suggested this might be a timing error.

Anyone else experienced this short of thing? Interested to know if this is just a feature of the way 1.1 pixel mapping and upscaling DVD players work (no such problems with my PS3), or is this another problem with the M87?

Phill1978

Just out of interest, anyone having 'problems' with DVD players and the JustScan mode of the TV at 1080p? I have a Marantz DV-7001, and it [email protected] 1080p without concern, but there is a gap between the screen mask and the screen image on the right hand side (not present if I select 16.9 mode).This is an obvious border at the right hand side of the picture (bigger in PAL than NTSC), between the end of the picture and the screen masking. Someone on the DVD forums suggested this might be a timing error.

Anyone else experienced this short of thing? Interested to know if this is just a feature of the way 1.1 pixel mapping and upscaling DVD players work (no such problems with my PS3), or is this another problem with the M87?

you will also notice every film is different. annoying but, its playing it off the disc as it is i gather. 16:9 yeilds a less crisp image but fits.

some films are have very big borders on justscan 16:9 less so.

badbob

Banned
Hang on I'll try now oppo 981 1080p scaling...how big is the border?Just tried R1 First contact in Just mode, about 1 pixel width missing from right side. R1 goldeneye had .5cm border. Changing to 16:9 used full width. But is this slightly incorrect ratio or direct 1:1?:confused:

AcademicBarzo

Border tends to be bigger on PAL. If you have either Hot Fuzz, or any of the extended editions of LOTR (particularly Fellowship), the border can be quite large. I have noticed that it varies with DVDs, and I have never had a problem with 16.9 mode (no borders at all). Just trying to work out if this is a fault or a feature!

I'll dig out my digital camera and post some pics later today.

AcademicBarzo

Having problems with digital camera - hope to post pics soon. Have e-mailed both Samsung and Marantz, and am waiting to hear back from either source.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom