Samsung M87 37" Vs 40" contrast ratio??

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by gizlaroc, May 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    Because of all the rave reviews the Samsung seems to get and the fact that I keep getting told the black levels now beat plasma, I think I am going to buy one for my conservatory instead of a Panasonic PX70 plasma.

However I notice the specs say that the 40" has a 15000:1 contrast ratio and the 37" has an 8000:1 contrast ratio.

Now I am a firm beleiver that contrast ratio means absolutely nothing, I would much rather they put the light ouput when showing absolute black as this is what makes a picture have depth. So has the 40" got blacker blacks or is it a case of the whites can go brighter??

I really don't want to go any bigger than a 37" as it is just for the conservatory and I don't want a massive set dominating the room, but if the blacks are definitely deeper with the 40" I will have to reconsider.

Hopefully someone has seen both?? :smashin:

2. Mariner

Mariner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't think anyone has seen the 37" M86/87 as they don't appear to have been released yet. It's the model which interests me as well.

Looking at the specs on Samsung's web site, it's obviously using a different panel type to its larger brothers as it doesn't have the same colour gamut. The other difference is that it doesn't have the "Super Clear" screen. Not sure how much this affects the perceived contrast ratios though.

3. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    And it's the Super Clear screen that Samsung believe most improves the blacks on this range.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/tftlcd/le37m87bdxxeu.asp

@ gizlaroc - You do know that there is a thread dedicated to the M86/M87 ranges don't you?

4. Silver Serpent

Silver Serpent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    37" M86 in stock here:

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=333298

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    Yeah I have seen that thread and the settings thread, if anything though it is putting me off, the settings seem to keep changing which reminds me of back in the early days of digital projectors, looks good with one device or programme and then looks bad with the next.
    I want a screen I can set up and leave!

6. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Well you can .... you can store different settings for each input.

7. Silver Serpent

Silver Serpent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    I have one set of settings for SD, one for Xbox360 which is automatically set once I change source.

You just need to set them all once n that's it really.

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    I am going to see if I can borrow one over the weekend from the guy down the road. That is the only way to really know.
    You just can't tell in the shop, I am prepared to sacrifice some quality over the PHD8 but not loads, and this set will be for daytime viewing and gaming really, I will watch all my HD stuff on the main system.

Just took these pics to show what I am used to......

SD TV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

HD Demo Clip
    [​IMG]

How does that compare to what you are seeing colour wise etc.??

Obviously only answer if you have calibrated your PC monitors!! :D

9. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    TBH if that's the kind of picture quality you are already getting I'd say stick with the technology you know and enjoy, plasma.

Having had such a favourable experience with plasma if you go LCD you will always be looking for faults IMO.

10. Epsen

Epsen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen 40M87 and 37M86, not side by side but inside an hour. I didnt see massive difference between them, I was only dissappointed in 40" reflective glossy screen. 37" has matte screen and reflective frame. Contrast seemed to be a bit better on 40", but 37" was impressive too. I only didnt like the curved glossy frame.

I'm now looking to get 40" N87 model, anyone heard anything about that? It has matte panel also and 10000:1 contrast ratio.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/tftlcd/le40n86bdxxec.asp?page=Specifications

11. Nielo TM

Nielo TM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Those are dynamic contrast ratio, which is different to dynamic range and static.

The blacklevel on S-PVA panels have always been amazing and Samsung-SDI doen it again with the new and improved S-PVA.

Keep in mind that the glossy coating actually reduces the contrast ratio but our eyes are tricked in to believing there's more contrast ratio.

When accurately measured, the glossy coating wont fool the equipments.

12. Silver Serpent

Silver Serpent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    The Colour is better on the Samsung, but the clarity of the picture on SD isn't quite, although some of the better channels come very close. Up close everything looks great on the Samsung, but the further you zoom out, the more pixelation can be seen, but still it's not bad.

Juding by the HD image, I would think the Samsung to be better, most definitely in colour, as to me, the colour on the nutcracker looks a bit washed out. The HD capability of the Samsung, being a 1080p set, should easily match, and probably surpass the clarity/detail of that image.

If you can get a loan of one for the weekend, that would be ideal.

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    Thanks, I already decided. I am not going to bother for now.

I had a long play with a 40" today and it isn't for me. I post in the 'LCD is terrible with SD' thread my reasons.
    Great all round set, but as I said not for me right now.

:smashin:

14. Silver Serpent

Silver Serpent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +415
    I read your post in the other thread and I agree with what you said about blacks and detail. The blacks are very black but detail is lost.

I've noticed it many a time when watching Sky Sports where the presenter wears a black blazer. You cannot make out any detail on the jacket.

However, turning off the Dynamic Contrast Ratio, and Black Adjust does a good job of resolving this, but at the slight loss of black level ofcourse.

The guys over at * did a good allround job with their calibration settings to provide a good balance to the picture for a HDMI source. No detail is lost with those settings, but the black level is not as good as can be, plus alot of people wont like the Warm 2 Tone.

http://www.*/news/2007/04/22/samsung-le40m86bd-settings/