Samsung M86/M87 What HiFi Review

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by mtaylor80, Sep 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. mtaylor80

mtaylor80
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys

Been browsing this forum for ages trying to decide which TV to buy (next friday is d-day!). I was all set to buy a Samsung 40M87 then i picked a copy of What Hi Fi yesterday and it seems that the 2 M87s they tried were not as good as the M86 they had. Anybody see this review? Not sure what to do now. I thought the differences were only cosmetic. Anybody got any advice on this?

Thanks for any help

M80

2. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    The difference is only cosmetic as confirmed by Samsung when I phoned them before buying my M86, it's simply the trim at the bottom, black on M86, chrome on M87

3. mtaylor80

mtaylor80
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Paul. so you think they just happened to get a couple of dodgy M87s?

4. pabloh20

pabloh20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This was touched on in another thread. If you use the whathifi review as a source of information for making your decision, not the basis of making your decision, you probably won't go far wrong.

Everything else I have read regarding the M86 & M87 panels suggests that there is only a cosmetic difference between the panels, so it's hard to imagine a variance between them as much as whathifi are making out.

5. BimBeema

BimBeema

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, I also read this review. The difference betwen the two models as mentioned by others and confirmed by Samsung is the chrome strip on m87 being black on m86! god knows why they would release two models identical but for a chrome strip! I have seen both in shops and can confirm both are the same, however the issue referred to in the review is of a quality control problem with Samsung as also mentioned by others on this forum in that you do not seem to get the same quality product each time, their quality margins seems to be widely spread and so you could end up with a fantastic fault free tv or a poor bug ridden one depending on your luck!