Samsung M86/87 Settings Thread -- part deux

M

monksteroid

IF YOU ARE TECHNICALLY EXPERIENCED WITH THIS SCREEN AND YOU HAVE OWNED IT FOR A MONTH OR MORE, YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN THE ORIGINAL THREAD. HOWEVER, IF YOU HAVE RECENTLY ACQUIRED THIS SCREEN AND DO NOT WANT TO BE BAFFLED BY PAGES OF GOBBLEDEGOOK (AS A MORE 'BASIC' USER), PLEASE READ ON...

;) I am well aware of the original thread regarding settings for this screen, but in the three or four months since that got going it has become pretty 'swamped' with data and (service menu) references which I have found extremely confusing. The idea of starting a new thread is to help those of us that have recently purchased an M86/87 share more basic data and enjoy this great screen without trawling through hundreds of posts.

I have had my M86 40inch for about a month now and have spent a lot of time tweaking the (too) comprehensive settings. At present, I use a SKY HD box via HDMI, a standard DVD via RGB scart (EXT1) and an XBOX360 with HD-DVD drive using component. I do also have a PS3, but this is currently being used elsewhere.

My early experience was with reds that looked dark pinky/orange and too much green-ness, amongst other things. Having tried a number of the recommendations, including the hdtvtest (which I found rather shabby), I have found the following settings work extremely well with my set up:

SKY HD (HDMI) - for all channels; although SD will vary in quality

Mode: Movie
Contrast: 75
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 30
Colour: 50
Tint: 50
Colour Tone: Normal
Backlight: 2
Size: Just Scan
Digital NR: Off
DNie: Off
Movie Plus: Off

Detailed Settings:
Black Adjust: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Gamma: -1
Edge Enhancement: On
Colour Space: Auto
xvYCC: Off
White Balance:
R-Offset: 14
G-Offset: 12
B-Offset: 10
R-Gain: 10
G-Gain: 12
B-Gain: 14
My Colour Control: All 15

XBOX360 (component) - gaming and HD DVD viewing

Game Mode: On
Mode: Standard
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 50
Backlight: 3
Size: 16:9

Detailed Settings:
Black Adjust: Low
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Edge Enhancement: Off
White Balance:
R-Offset: 18
G-Offset: 14
B-Offset: 12
R-Gain: 8
B-Gain: 22

DVD (scart/EXT1)

Brightness: 48
Colour: 45

Detailed Settings:
Black Adjust: Low
White Balance:
R-Offset: 18
G-Offset: 14
R-Gain: 10
B-Gain: 14

:rolleyes: Enjoy! Should I have a need to make further adjustments I will re-post.

Don't mind re-posting mine -

PS3 through HDMI

Brightness: 47
Sharpness: 10
Colour: 46
Colour Tone: Warm2 (Normal for Games)
Backlight: 4

Detailed Settings:
Gamma: 0
Colour Space: Auto (Wide for Games)

My set was ISF calibrated so the White Balance adjsutments were made in the Service Menu.

monksteroid - you are right about the green push on these sets (although this is very common to all LCDs), it is hugely exaggerated if you use Colour Space Wide rather than Auto (although I like it for Games).

you are right about the green push on these sets (although this is very common to all LCDs), it is hugely exaggerated if you use Colour Space Wide rather than Auto (although I like it for Games).

Absolutely - one of the settings that took me a while to get to grips with. Using 'Auto' is so much more natural for not just the greens and blues, but helps the reds too! I have used 'Wide' for games, which at first I thought was better, but am now really happy with 'Auto' for everything. :thumbsup:

Oh, and one more thing to potential posters -

Please don't make references to the Serice Menu (well, not in detail anyway) as that is the main reason I got fed up with the other thread. Let's try and keep this to the bare minimum that we can all understand/adjust ourselves.

Smashing

Absolutely - one of the settings that took me a while to get to grips with. Using 'Auto' is so much more natural for not just the greens and blues, but helps the reds too! I have used 'Wide' for games, which at first I thought was better, but am now really happy with 'Auto' for everything. :thumbsup:

Auto is a lot more natural but unfortunately the Yellow is off (you just can't win!) and can look a bit 'sickly' - I do find it a bit flat for gaming however, I like the artificial vibrancy when playing Games (although it is totally unsuitable for anything else!). I'll give Auto another try for Games and let you know what I think.

Another setting to steer well clear of is XXyyvc (or something similar) as that can do all sorts of nasty things to your colours and shadow detail.

Auto is a lot more natural but unfortunately the Yellow is off

Very true, although on my set it is bearly evident on HDMI; via scart it's more apparent, but still not shocking. Personally, I think it's a small price to pay up against the other factors...

Another setting to steer well clear of is XXyyvc (or something similar) as that can do all sorts of nasty things to your colours and shadow detail.

ABSOLUTELY! :thumbsdow Avoid xvYCC AT ALL COSTS! :thumbsdow I tried turning this 'on' from someone else's recommendation and I just opened up one hell of a 'can of worms' which was catestrophic in picture terms!

Hi some nice settings there i made my first HD TV purchase today 40M87 will be using Sky+ and 360 over VGA through it.

For time being though will use Component until can pick up a 3.5mm Stereo Plug to Two Phono socket.

Could someone give me some good settings for Sky+ and 360 over VGA please thanks. :)

I can't seem to find part 1 about setting of Samsung M86/87.
Can anyone put a link here?

Is this thread really necessary?

Most definitely.

There is a lot of useful information on the original settings thread for those that can be bothered to read it.

Indeed there is... and I was bothered to read it. Problem is, there is too much reference to the Service Menu and an awful lot of confusion if (like me) you have only just bought one - mainly because it all starts around the release time of the screen and goes on and on and on... Also, I found that there was so much detailed discussion going on, when I tried to ask a question (several times) I got little or no response and felt that noone was interested in my 'basic' operations.

I started this thread to perhaps save others all of the time and unnessary reading and maybe offer a helping hand. That's all. :)

I was using the settings from the HDTest website, but I have to say these settings are much better. I had really bright reds, greens and blues, all corrected now, so thanks.

Having xvYCC: Off seems to of helped.

I have the following connections.

Scart 1 - SKY SD
Scart 2 - Xbox 1
HDMI 1 - Panasonic DMR-EX75 HDD/DVD Recorder
HDMI 2 - PS3
HDMI 3 - PC

Most definitely.

Indeed there is... and I was bothered to read it. Problem is, there is too much reference to the Service Menu and an awful lot of confusion if (like me) you have only just bought one - mainly because it all starts around the release time of the screen and goes on and on and on... Also, I found that there was so much detailed discussion going on, when I tried to ask a question (several times) I got little or no response and felt that noone was interested in my 'basic' operations.

I started this thread to perhaps save others all of the time and unnessary reading and maybe offer a helping hand. That's all. :)

Hi, I feel that all of the questions that are answered in the first thread will be repeated in this one, thus all you'll end up getting is two long threads with the old one, and one probably more useful for newcomers to the TV, being buried....
ChrisC

Hi, I feel that all of the questions that are answered in the first thread will be repeated in this one, thus all you'll end up getting is two long threads with the old one, and one probably more useful for newcomers to the TV, being buried....
ChrisC

My thoughts precisely ....

ChrisC

Sorry, but I have to disagree. :(

My whole point was that the original thread is an absolute minefield for new users and not that useful. It deals with so much of the initial findings when the screen was new... most of us have now settled on parameters that surely must be more helpful for the 'virgin' users now. Besides, the pages and pages of Service Menu related dialogue is absolute nonsense to (some) people. I, for one, found it at times completely baffling.

My understanding of a forum site such as this, was that one was able to air and share their (valid) opinions freely. I apologise for making inconvenient for you.

I was only trying to help... :suicide:

Hmm, I tried out your SKY HD settings and they just didnt work for me. I thought the picture looked overly washed out and yellow. I'll give the 360 and the dvd settings a go when I have a chance.

In regards to the thread as a whole, I think its a good idea. The previous thread has grown bloated the point of uselessness and often goes for several pages full of outdated or useless information where peoples questions get lost in the mix.

Hmm, I tried out your SKY HD settings and they just didnt work for me. I thought the picture looked overly washed out and yellow. I'll give the 360 and the dvd settings a go when I have a chance.

Funnily enough, I have further tweaked those settings because I thought it had a yellowness about it. Sometimes I wish there wasn't so much you could control - I have now tried to get rid of the remote to prevent unnecessary fiddling. If you like I'll repost, detailing what I am now using - I have real continuity now between DTV (Freeview), SKY SD (scart), SKY HD (HDMI) and XBOX360 (component) and I am real happy with what I've done. I think I might have cracked it! (well, for my taste anyway) ;)

In regards to the thread as a whole, I think its a good idea. The previous thread has grown bloated the point of uselessness and often goes for several pages full of outdated or useless information where peoples questions get lost in the mix.

At last! Thank you for agreeing with me. I thought I had committed a crime by the reaction previously!

Funnily enough, I have further tweaked those settings because I thought it had a yellowness about it. Sometimes I wish there wasn't so much you could control - I have now tried to get rid of the remote to prevent unnecessary fiddling. If you like I'll repost, detailing what I am now using - I have real continuity now between DTV (Freeview), SKY SD (scart), SKY HD (HDMI) and XBOX360 (component) and I am real happy with what I've done. I think I might have cracked it! (well, for my taste anyway) ;)

At last! Thank you for agreeing with me. I thought I had committed a crime by the reaction previously!
I would be interested in you reposting your settings, always looking for improvements

Alrighty then, I have now arrived at what I feel are the optimum settings for my particular set up. I have taken on board comments from this and the original thread. The settings below have now been used for about a week, without any significant changes - probably the first time since owning this screen I've been happy to put down the remote! For me, the picture is very natural and real looking, without colours that are false or too vibrant (extremely apparent when using Colur Space: Wide). The blacks, overall depth and clarity is equally comfortable and very enjoyable to watch.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Please note that most of my viewing is in the evening in a dim or no light environment, so I have adjusted the backlight occasionally for daytime use (although the missus doesn't seem to be bothered too much by the 'darkness' whilst watching Doctors/Home and Away etc :D).

SKY HD (HDMI) - for all channels; although SD will vary in quality

Contrast: 75
Sharpness: 40
Colour: 45
Colour Tone: Warm1
Backlight: 2 - although maybe up to 4 for daytime/bright light

Detailed Settings:
Colour Space: Auto - really important
White Balance:
R-Offset: 14
G-Offset: 10
R-Gain: 6
G-Gain: 15
B-Gain: 24

XBOX360 (component) - gaming and HD DVD viewing

Game Mode: Off
Colour Tone: Warm1

Detailed Settings:
Colour Space: Auto - still preferred to Wide
White Balance:
R-Offset: 13
G-Offset: 9
R-Gain: 5
G-Gain: 14
B-Gain: 25

One of the things to try and get your head round is what I refer to as 'natural' colour. Away form your LCD TV, take a look around - at home, outside, in sunlight, cloudy conditions - colours aren't naturally that vibrant. I am certainly no expert, but I do work in the AV industry and tend to look at things a little differently than others maybe do.

The problem is we are becoming conditioned to look for vibrancy in colour (mainly through PC advances and gaming) and therefore these settings (Colour Space Wide for example) that exaggerate blues, greens or reds appear more striking at first, but are in fact unrealistic. Of course I am generalising and one should make the decision based upon the results you are comfortable with. I feel at times that some of us are actually trying to set up these products against that 'unnatural' standard that is being adopted in the high street...

In the case of this Samsung, there are almost too many settings available to adjust and it becomes virtually impossible to find those that appear 'correct'. For example; having the Wide colour option seems great, but it really does push the blues and greens way too far and at the same time effects (dulls) red in the negative. So how do we compensate? Auto provides much more real (natural) blues and greens whilst deepening the reds; however, yellow becomes rather 'sickly'... do we then play with Colour settings, White Balance, Gamma, or the Backlight? And so on and so on. I have taken what I think to be the best of everything I have read, been advised directly or learnt from previous experience and tried to emulate that natural colour and real image as far as I can. I am not certain that it's completely spot on, but (for me) I've arrived at the optimum picture performance so far...

If I was to chose to be really anal about it, I would make further adjustments relating to particular channels (from SKY or DTV), various changes in DVD quality or compensations for video gaming. Personally, I want to be able to turn it on and enjoy it - often for hours on end without my eyes bleeding! :)

Do you mind posting your settings for PS3 i've tried your Sky HD settings and prefer them to many others i have dabbled with, wether thats because my set has come out of the factory calibrated nearer to yours than others i dont know.

Anyway like i said i do like them and are keen to sample your PS3 ones

Cheers

Well i have been using your settings monksteroid they are superb but i had to change Warm1 to Cool1 for me. Oh and is there anyway to make the yellows any brighter as as you say they certainly look "sickly".

Hi, i have st my settings using the settings from the hdtest site from the first thread. Looks much more realistic however is some places mainly people hair and teeth and anything off white it appears to be a shade of green. any one have any suggestions?

monksteroid - we discussed earlier how outrageous the Blue and Green is when using Wide Colour Space yet the Yellow is sickly on Auto, well I discovered a way to have them all look fine. You need to use Colour Space Wide but enable Xyyvc to On (although it makes no sense at all to use this option) - guess what? The Red is way off now when you use that! As far as I can tell there really is no way to get these sets displaying ALL colours correctly and you just need to pick which inaccuracy you can tolerate the most. Pretty poor really.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom