Samsung M5 wifi speakers as 5.1 rears?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by DemonAV, Apr 27, 2016.

1. DemonAV

DemonAV
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,170
    Hi all.

I have recently purchased a Samsung HWJ8501 soundbar that I have connected to my Samsung 4K TV via sound connect. The soundbar sounds great but I want to add a pair of wireless rears to get a 5.1 setup. I've read on a couple of reviews that the Samsung M5 wifi multiroom speakers can be used as rear surround speakers and that they can be used in conjunction with the Sammy soundbar but I can't find any online literature confirming this. Does anyone use this configuration? If so does it work well? And how do I set them up in a 5.1 system? I don't want to fork out £300 for a pair of M5's only to find out it won't do what I intend them to do.
    Many thanks.

2. Spraggle

Spraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I've got an M3 an M5 and both a Samsung BluRay player (J7500) and an all in one Samsung Surround sound system (HT-H6500WM) (all in different rooms!) that work with each other.

I've always found that when I've used them with the main system there's always been a significant delay between the main output and the WiFi speakers. I couldn't set my system up with the M's as anything other than the front stereo pair.

Now, your bar is different, because I believe it counts as a speaker, while my non M devices only count as sources in the Multi room app, so in theory, it should work - does the Multi room app currently let you stream music from your phone to that speaker?

Another thought - have you spoken to Richer Sounds? They sell the M series speakers, and could possibly help you?

What I can say is that I love my M's and want more; but more from a multi room perspective, than a surround sound setup view, and the M5 is great!

One last thing - you do not need the WAM250 "multi room" device, unless you don't already have a 5ghz router in your house. I got mine as a freebie with the TV, but it's not plugged in as I have a 5 GHz main router already.

Please ask any other questions about the system and I'll let you know what I can!

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  3. DemonAV

DemonAV
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,170
    Hello & thanks for your reply.

Yes as I type I'm listening to music on my J8501 soundbar from my phone using the Samsung multiroom app, and it sounds excellent. In fact I'm finding the sound quality in both films/TV & especially with music to be a lot better than with my old AVR1910/AE Evo3 setup. Hard to believe but to my ears it's better. All I need is a pair of M3's to open up the soundstage a bit. I popped into my local Richer Sounds on Saturday but they are phasing out the older M series of Sammy wifi speakers in favour of the new R series and the only stores to hold the speakers I was looking for were at Cardiff & Brighton. I ended up buying a pair of white M3's from Peter Tyson instead and I'm hoping to receive them next week.
    I'm confident that they will work as surrounds as Samsung and Richer Sounds have told me they will so I bit the bullet. I'll post here how I get on.

Thanks again :)

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  4. Spraggle

Spraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    NP! Looking forward to hearing how you fare!

The M3 I've got is up in the bedroom, and additionally acts as my morning alarm clock with in built TuneIn... It does a great job of filling the room on its own, it's a great speaker.

They're capable of dealing with high bit rate streaming, too - well worth trying that when you get the chance.

5. Spraggle

Spraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    PS - I blame you, DemonAV - was in John Lewis last night and they had an M5 for £110... felt like I had to get it!

Interestingly, have now found that the Multiroom App on the phone does 2 ch or 4 ch, but not 3 ch. Will be trying out 3 ch from the BR player, though!

6. DemonAV

DemonAV
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,170
    I got my pair of M3's yesterday and managed to set them up as rear surrounds with some help from Samsung support. We are redecorating our living room so I only got to demo them quickly but they seem to work well. Once the redec is finished I'll set them up correctly and have more time to set the sound mix up better. If they are as good as I'm expecting i may buy another one for the kitchen. Thanks for your assistance Spraggle :)

7. Spraggle

Spraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    No problems! There was a review I read the other day that said if you are getting the big delays (as I was), it is because theyre set as Multiroom mode (on the tv/bluray) rather than surround mode.

Also, noticed that the HTS can be 'grouped' using the multiroom app - didnt notice before because mostly I'm using the speakers when the HTS is off. Will be trying out the same thing using the bluray player...

8. DemonAV

DemonAV
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,170
    I set one of the speakers in the kitchen and one in the bedroom last night and grouped them so I had the same music throughout the flat and I couldn't hear any lag between them at all.

9. Spraggle

Spraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Yeah, when you're in grouped mode with one of the speakers doing the driving (the first one you open on the app is the lead speaker), there is no lag at all - but if I tell the hts to be the source for the other speakers (rather than be grouped), the hts plays the output first, with a second or so delay before the other speakers all get the sound - the other speakers all get it simultaneously, but they're all a second out from the hts.

Apparently (according to the review) this isn't the case if you go in to the menu and tell the system to use the WAM's only, and forgo the HTS's own speakers, but I've yet to try this way - guessing that's what you've effectivly done with your system, but with the sound bar taking lead to give no lag.

Either way, it's bloody good - been out in the garden today, and wanged the two M5s out there in a stereo pair - thanks for all the inspiration!

10. Spraggle

Spraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    So, gave the bluray a go - m5s as L&R, m3 as centre. Worked okay - a few drop outs, but kept noticing a rogue device appearing on the same channel in the 5ghz frequency, so could be that? No delay at all though. Seems to use WiFi direct rather than via the network/router. Not planning to do this permenently though, so didnt put any effort in to diagnosing it.

The BR cant act as a speaker to be grouped, but you could play a CD/Spotify on the BR and use the HTS and all speakers in a multiroom group, which worked a treat!

Am posting my experiments here because it seems like there isnt a decent place to discuss this quite unique, system in detail!

11. Dunjamon

Dunjamon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm looking to do something similar. I have a Samsung Soundbar and my parents have a couple of m5's that they don't really use. The problem is that their house is old so the thick walls keep causing dropouts. If I was to move the m5's to a room with the soundbar and router in the same room would I be able to setup a surround system without using the multiroom hub thing they give you? That's the one thing I want to avoid. Would I need to connect the soundbar using TV connect rather than optical?

Also, would the surround sound stay setup? Another thing with my parents is that when they power off the TV and back on after a while the setup is lost and it reverts back to just TV speakers.

12. DemonAV

DemonAV
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,170
    I had my M3' connected up without the Samsung hub working as surrounds but I had to use the free Samsung multiroom app on my phone to do it. But it was a royal PITA to get it working everytime to be honest but that was last summer and I bought a different system after giving up on them. Remember that since then both the speakers/soundbar/phone app have had firmware upgrades so it's entirely possible that my problems have been resolved? If you're getting them for free then you are not taking any risk by trying and the app is free so go for it but report back here please to let us know how you get on.

13. Dunjamon

Dunjamon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good point. I might pick them up and see what happens. Cheers for getting back to me.

14. Spraggle

Spraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    The Multiroom router they give you is actually only a WiFi extender. Effectively the speakers then work on a new 5ghz wifi network, but that network is no different to a normal network (apart from working on the faster and far less congested 5ghz frequency, rather than the slow and full 2.4ghz one that older routers tend to use).

What I'm trying to get at is that if you, like me, use a normal 5ghz network in your house, putting it all in one room should be fine.

Also, worth checking if the soundbar you have works the same way as my Blu-ray player does and uses Wi-Fi Direct instead of just normal WiFi. If that's the case, the soundbar connects directly to the two speakers without involving the network at all.

Hth.

15. Droid432

Droid432
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So exactly how does the Samsung do 5.1? If the soundbar is connected via Soundconnect and using M5's as rears then how exactly is the Samsung able to play lossy multichannel audio? As far as I have experienced (and all the lipsync issues that accompany the Samsung) is that you need to feed the stream via the HDMI in on the soundbar and obviously out to the panel. Hardly a wireless system either!

16. Spraggle

Spraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    When you connect the M5s as rears in that way, you're using Wifi Direct; it completely bypasses the Wifi network and connects from the soundbar back to the M5s without obtaining a standard networkable IP address. (Wifi direct does its own addressing, but I won't go in to that here - suffice to say that you can't view the network that is created).

The 'Wireless' that they're talking about is the fact that in a traditional system you need speaker cable from the amp back to each and every speaker, which loses Wife Approval Factor, and is awkward to route cleanly (one normally leading to the other ;-) ), so the Wireless connection from the Soundbar to the rears is the one 'Wireless' they're meaning. There is no such thing as completely wirefree, since you need a power cable at minimum, and as you correctly surmised, you run an HDMI from the output to the soundbar, then on to the TV to pass the picture up (or dual HDMI for sound only output). Until there's a much faster and more secure wireless connection standard, you're not going to get rid of the HDMI cable! ;-)

Hope that explains it better!