1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung M-105 pic prob?/NTSC question?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by weyland-yutani, Jul 29, 2002.

1. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    hello.:)

Samsung pic prob:

when watching 1.85:1 films on a 28" 4:3 tv and the player is set to output 16:9 and RGB, at the very top of the visible picture is a pink colour going across the entire width of the pictue. its only thin and its as if its just leaking in at the top. it's not the extra scan lines as they are present, too. this occurs just below those lines and makes the pic tinge pink right at the very top. it doesnt happen with another player in the same set-up and can't be seen when watching 2.3?:1 films. it doesn't seem to appear when i switch the player to output composite,though.

NTSC question:

when watching NTSC discs on my tv the picture seems to stretch to a taller picture and you can make out scan lines more easily. is this cos my tv has switched to pal 60 ??? does this happen to all pal tv's displaying NTSC pictures?

anyhelp/advice on either point welcomed:)

thanks

2. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I just read this whilst looking for something else.

If you have a 4:3 TV then you should set the DVD to 4:3 letterbox, NOT 16:9. This is why you notice the stretching, try playing a Universal release, the globe at the start will be a tall oval shape instead of circular.

The stretching will also emphasise the line structure of NTSC material, but you should still notice the stretching with PAL also.

Set your DVD to 4:3 LETTERBOX, only if you have a widescreen TV should you use 16:9

Bye now.