1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LW32A33WX Questions!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Trnbl, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Trnbl

Trnbl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, this is my first post here so hopefully you guys can help answer some questions for me. :)

I'm looking at buying a 32" lcd. I'm currently looking at the Samsung LW32A33WX.

1) I've only seen this for sale at Dixons/Currys online (£1399). Does anyone know anywhere else currently selling it?
    2) I've only seen one review in the latest Widescreen/tv/video mag. It got 4/5. Does anyone here own this tv yet? Could anybody give me their thoughts on it if they do?
    3) The samsung.co.uk website has no specs on the model. Does anyone know if it's HDCP compatible?
    4) Can someone confirm that this model is 16:9 and not 15:9?
    5) I watch a lot of sports and films. What other HDCP 32 inchers should I be considering? Is there one model that is generally considered the best at the moment?

Cheers :smashin:

2. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Don't do it!!!! :eek:

I've tried two from Currys as they are the only place in the UK that I could find selling them.

Its a well specced and really nicely designed set (good sound too) but theres some horrendous motion trails/smearing going on with moving images from Sky/DVD etc (and apparently HDMI according to the reviews).

RF pictures are pretty good if a little soft.

Its a shame as, yes it is HDCP compliant, has component, RGB scart, S-video, DVI, VGA and HDMI but seriously is'nt worth the hassle if you ask me.

Then again maybe if you sit away from it and don't have a critical eye you may like it.

Currys have (thankfully) a 14 day return policy.....so I'll leave it to you.

(If yours does'nt smear I'll buy another :D )

P.S. Yes its a 15:9 set.

3. Trnbl

Trnbl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That good eh? :D

I'll be honest it is the looks that is attracting me to it (although only seen pictures of it). That and the range of inputs.

Is motion blurring really that bad?? I'll be sittiing about 7-8 feet away from it. I currently own a Sharp LC20S1E 4:3 which must be a couple of years old technology-wise by now. Would the Samsung really be a step backwards from this??

Shame it's 15:9 too. Does that mean it plays films with black bars at the top/bottom, or does it crop the side edges??

Also a shame in's only at Currys at the moment. Once other online retailers start stocking it, would you expect to see the price closer to the £1200 mark? I wonder if it's in any high street stores yet? May pop into town this weekend to have a look.

What other 32" screens should I be looking at then?

4. PDM

PDM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the LW-40A23W and have not seen any smearing or ghosting etc & I use the set for mainly Sports (Football) and Films.

However, I did use Digital Video Essentials to "fine-tune" the picture quality etc... as all new LCD-TV owners should do IMHO (regardless of make).

The connectivity is great and there is no "humming" (like some other sets) & it is fan-less.

It is also worth remembering Samsung state that any sets purchased as of 1st Jan 2005 will have a ZERO % tolerance on dead-pixels.

At the end of the day, it is worth doing a side-by-side comparison with other manufacturers using the same picture source.

5. PDM

PDM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    before, anyone jumps on my post....

DVE will not eliminate "smearing/ghosting" as this to related to slow pixel response times.

6. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Well I set mine up with DVE as well. Perhaps the 33W series was a step backwards from the 23W?

As for pixel tolerances the first set had 4 dead pixels on blue and the second had 4 dead pixels on blue and 3 on black!

I felt the smearing was pretty bad and very off putting (especially using component). I liked everything else about the set but I had to send it back.

Where was the zero tolerance thing? Thought that was for German owners?

7. PDM

PDM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Damien,
    its a real shame that you had such a bad experience with Samsung's LCD-TVs (no I do not work for Samsung)...

Concerning the Zero Tolerance I believe you are correct it seems to be applicable in Germanic Countries (I live between Switzerland and Austria - however Germany has this policy too) and Southern Asia. Whereas, in the UK they are "hiding" behind the ISO 13406-2 Industry Standard.

It's crazy that a global organisation does NOT have a global policy.

regs,

Pal

8. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    I really wish the set was ok as I would have really liked to have kept it as I can't really find an alternative and liked the way that set looked, sounded and operated (felt like it was made pretty well) but at the end of the day I was watching the set for its picture which was too blurry. :thumbsdow

Is the 23W series HDCP compliant via DVI? I can get the 32W23W for £1500 and that has AC3 audio (don't need it but cool all the same).

9. PDM

PDM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the 23W series are DVI-HDCP compatible...

There are newer models being released in May 2005 (with backlights & faster response times, networking capability etc) :
    http://www.hwhpr.com/prclients/samsung/ces05/LCDHDTV_PR.html
    (US Press Release).

10. erwinb

erwinb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read that the Samsungs are <16ms response time. which is way below what my deteriorated eyes can see.
    I've seen a LE32A41B (the old model) and it's available for 1800 euros. didn't look too bad in the shop to be honnest.

Erwin

11. Trnbl

Trnbl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I went to Curry's today to have a look at one in the flesh.

It was set up at the front of the store and was running a Spiderman dvd through scart. The picture looked ok. I certainly didn't notice any major difference compared to my current 20" Sharp. The current What Video and Widescreen TV magazine does however mention the smearing that Damian has mentioned. Decisions decisions...

I may go back tomorrow and ask them to put a tv feed through it and see what that looks like. Have to say looks-wise it looks very sexy :smashin:

I may also have a look at the Toshiba 32WL48 as this seems to be getting favourable reviews.

12. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    If you can I would read the HCC review in this months magazine.

The smearing was worse through component and from Sky.

13. olivier.pauls

olivier.pauls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've understood that the LE32A41 was replacing the W32A33WX.
    Is it right ?

14. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    yes its a newer model

15. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Not sure if its replacing it but its defo a new model. I would've tried one two but no component video :thumbsdow