1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LW32A23WX

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by LiquidTV, Oct 9, 2004.

1. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,
    After much surfing the web & buying numerous magazines I am contemplating buying this LCD.

I was keen to see it with my own eyes so popped into both Comet & Currys today hoping for a full demo whilst connected to a PC &/or PS2 as this will be the main use of the TV. However, despite the unit costing almost £2K neither would allow this. Pretty poor service I would say. Having said that I wouldn't but from them in any event as their prices are too high!!

I really don't want to buy without knowing how this unit performs connected to a PC/PS2. One of the main issues is whether it is able to display the native resolution (1280 X 768) when connected via DVI without the dreaded black border that most LCD are sceptible to. If anyone has this set or has seen it in action I would appreciate any feedback. I am aware this is been replaced by the 33 model but this is cheaper has better inputs etc.

:lease:

2. Guy Clifford

Guy Clifford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one of these connected to my PC through DVI and theres no black borders. For PC use it is fantastic. As a 'TV' it is reasonable but doesnt have the best blacks in the world and is subject to banding under certain situations like many of the LCDs seem to be. If your not a perfectionist and can live with these digital imperfections which tbh arent noticeable most of the time then you can pick it up for a bargain price at the moment.

3. phlix

phlix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use a good source and a set top box instead of the integerated tuner and I'd say its a pretty good set. The Dolby Digital and DTS receiver is the icing on the cake, its save me having to buy a new one (my old one way very long in tooth).

4. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    the new model is for sale at QED

5. Only777

Only777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I've had this telly about a week and it's amazing for Hi def from the PC or XBOX. I bought it because it's an all-in-one with the surround sound etc. and hate too many boxes / remotes.

Incidentally I was in Currys in Barrow yesterday and they have it for £1297.

Any questions before you buy, just ask...

6. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have ordered the Samsung today. Does anyone know if it comes with a wall mounting bracket??

7. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    if only the case wasnt touched with an ugly stick

8. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, i'm lost!!!

9. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I'm trying to decide between the LW32A23W, which I've seen for sale on the net at £1199 inc delivery and VAT, and the Tosh 32WL46 for £1349 inc delivery and VAT. I was considering the Tosh 32WL48 but it's not available for at least a few more weeks (one supplier I contacted said pre-orders were so strong they would be hard to get hold of before the new year), may cost a bit more (around £1500) and so far only has HDMI as a bonus point over the 46 (no reviews seen yet to say whether pic quality etc is better/worse).

For me the Tosh has the better style, but the Samsung has better facilities (i.e PIP, Dolby & DTS, better choice of connections).

Can anyone say whether either of these are crap at displaying fast moving pics such as footy and does anyone know what their response times are (16ms, 25ms or beyond?)?

10. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi PAH,
    That's exactly why I went for the samsung. I am awaiting the delivery of it but for the price it's a bargain. The response time is suppposed to be <16ms. I downloaded the whole manual from their website to help me decide. It's not the prettiest set, but as the new room it going to be used in has chrome everywhere it should fit in nicely!! It terms of how it performs, I can't answer as i'm still obviously waiting, but if you carry out a search of the forums using 'LW32A23W' you should find a few threads. Also it's worth noting it has an array of connecions, 2x component, 2 X scart, RGB, RF, DTS out, DVI & so on. A shame it doesn't have a digital tuner but you can buy freeview for next to nothing & connect via one of these inputs. If you are to use for gaming like myself, What Plasma & LCD released an article recently about the best LCD for gaming & the 40" (essentially same design but bigger screen) was one of the three suggested. I'll let you know how I get on.

LiquidTV

11. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, the LCD arrived today & have to say it's absolutely awesome. The graphics are vibrant, crisp & clear, far better than I imagined for such a large LCD for PC/gaming use. The only minor points is there is very slight lag when hooked up to a Playstation, although at the moment this is via a scart socket. I expect there will be an improvement when connected to the component like I have with the HD enabled Xbox which is just stunning. I've also rigged the sound up to a Logitech 5.1 which pumps out almost 600 watts RMS, it's incredible!! At the moment it's all cramped up in a tiny room, but when I finish the extension where it will be used, I'm sure it will look & sound even better particularly that I'm having wooden a laminate floor laid. This is a incredibly good buy for £1400 & the service was excellent. I ordered this from Unbeatable yesterday & it arrived in Cornwall (where I live) early this morning. :thumbsup:

AND YOU GET A FULL SCREEN!!! :clap: