1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LW32A23WX/XEU ** NICE**

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tel boy, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all,
    Have just seen the Samsung 32" LCD panel (LW32A23WX/XEU) in Curry’s tonight :eek: & I didn’t stop drooling all the way home,
    it may not be to everyone’s taste, but IMO it’s bloody gorgeous.

I have searched through the forum & this panel gets a few mentions but there are no real rave reviews, does anyone out there have one? & If so what are your findings?

Would an LCD panel be ok for everyday TV viewing or would a CRT be a wiser choice?

Regards Tb :smashin:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    I use the smaller LW22A13 for routine TV (Freeview usually). And I can't recommend it enough.

3. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,
    Yeah Nigel I remember seeing one of your posts singing the praises of your 22 " model when I searched the forum for info on the LW32.

I must admit I’m really not up to speed with LCD technology so I don’t have much idea of what to look out for.

I have read a few posts on the forum regarding “Lip sync” problems with Plasma panels & I can’t help wondering if LCD panels are affected by this also?

Are there any other inherent problems associated with LCD panels that I should be aware of?

Like - do they buzz?

I’ve returned a few CRT set now because of this, so I wouldn’t want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak ;)

Cheers Tb

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    I can only speak for mine:

Lip Synch - it IS evident on Freeview occasionally. Because it's occasionally, I have to conclude that it is a transmission artefact. I rarely use it for analog TV, but I have used it often with some old SVHS material, and no lip synch issues at all there. The freeview artefact was evident on its regular CRT predecessor, hence my conclusion that it is as transmitted.

Noise: none. not at all.

Issues: If you are shopping around, check out viewing angles. This is not an issue with the Samsung 22 at all, but is, with certain other makes (eg Panasonic).

Also, grey blacks. In this case, this is only evident when watching in very subdued ambient light; it isn't apparent in a bright environment.

Aside from that, nothing comes to mind.

5. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Nigel,
    Sorry for the delay in posting back on this topic but I forgot all about this thread :blush:

I have had a few more viewings of the 32" Samsung but I have noticed that the picture quality isn’t as good as I first thought. That said I was viewing it in Curry’s but to be fair the set did seem to have a good signal into it …well as good as any other set in the shop.

The Samsung was standing next to a Hitachi 32" plasma & the picture quality on the Hitachi was a lot better IMO. I know that the Samsung probably wouldn’t have been set up as well as it could have been but I don’t think this would matter in the case of the picture “characteristics” that I noticed.

I noticed that the picture appeared a bit grainy when displaying moving objects, best described as the 100hz “net curtain effect”.
    I have noticed this effect on other LCD TV’s that I have viewed so I guess it’s a characteristic of the technology. I also viewed the Samsung 22" version (possibly the same as your TV) & noticed the effect was a lot less noticeable on the smaller size screen.
    I think it will be a case of waiting a while until the LCD technology comes of age, just as 100hz technology has increasingly improved.

Regards, Tb

6. lfarrand

lfarrand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there Tel Boy, we recently bought the Samsung 32" panel and I posted a mini-review here:

Samsung Mini-Review

I also noted that when displaying an RGB/Scart input there was a distinct 'grainyness'. Having said that, are you sure that the Curry's model was set up for RGB rather than Composite?

If you don't need to use the Scart inputs and can get away with just using the Component & DVI (Analogue or Digital) connections then the picture quality is second to none. We have a HTPC connected via the DVI port and running DVD's in progressive mode (with WinDVD 5) - the picture quality is awesome.

Lee

7. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Lee,
    Yeah I remember reading your mini review which I thought was very imforative.:clap:

You could be correct & the panel may have not been set up correctly, I was having a bit of a mess around in the menu but I got “Sales pitched” form one of the staff so I moved on as they were determined to sell me something.

However I have also seen the Samsung playing a DVD at a different store but once again I was able to notice the “Net curtain effect” & this was from a reasonable viewing distance of about 12 feet, maybe I'm just expecting too much.

I may have to call back to the shops & have another go in the Samsungs menu to see how they have it set up.

It’s a long shot (Ca$h) but if I owned one of these panels I would be using a freeview box via scart & also an analogue cable box (RF connection)

Regards Tb

8. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    It would be a first ever! if a branch of Curry's (or, pretty well any chain store) was using anything other than either RF or composite to drive any TV on display.