1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LW-32A23W and NTL Box

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by dkiernan, Mar 7, 2005.

1. dkiernan

dkiernan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I just bought a Samsung 32 inch LCD TV which I love. However using the auto wide settings to automatically adjust the screen display to that being broadcast, some stations look perfect while others produce an almost fisheye effect when the camera pans across a scene.

I am using a PACE NTL box with RGB SCART to the RGB Scart on the TV.

Can anyone explain whats wrong?

2. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Which particular channels suffer from this.....some channels are broadcast at lower bitrates then others.

this means you will generally get excellent pics of say sky one, but **** poor or something like the hits. Generally there is nothing wrong with tv, just one of the 'benefits' of digital tv.

3. dkiernan

dkiernan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Its not the quality of the broadcast that is wrong but the perspective.

Imagine the effect of looking at something through a fishbowl, while the cnetre is in focus the out area is distorted when panning a scene.

It appears to be that some Sky channle broadcast not in 16:9 or 4 whatever but in something non standard so that TV stretches the sides.

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    I think the clue is in the word 'pan'. I find this happens on a CRT set and I have also seen it on the Plasma at my local gym (not always sure what mode its in though). I think what you are seeing is almost like the panoramic mode. I do not think your tv is at fault. Think its something to do with the transmission. How are you finding your Samsung. There seems to be little mention of it in these Forums.

5. dkiernan

dkiernan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    thanks for that. In fact I have a lip synch problem with the TV at the moment. Some channels like UK Gold have real lip synch issues.

Contacted Samsung this morning and they arranged for engineer to come out ASAP.

So far on telephone they are very good, but we will see.