Samsung LSP9T The Premiere 4K Laser Projector Review & Comments

Just chatted with Samsung/UK and they say not available until Jan (I suspect they have no idea what they are talking about). Steve, do you know any reputable dealers that will have this?

HOW MUCH :(

Great item.. just a shame about the price but suspect it'll be one of those that drops in a month or 2 after very few sales.

Thanks for the review. We're still happy with our Epson 9300 but this sort of thing may well be an option when/if we move house again and we have more limited space. The price is a little bit too much for us though!

Quick question. This doesn't appear to come with a 12V trigger (unless I just didn't notice it but the rear panel doesn't appear to have the output) - is that "usual" with short-throw projectors? It may well just be a combination of me and laziness but it is quite a useful feature if you don't want to, or can't, send a remote signal to the screen to lower it. However at this price I'd expect "all/most of the bells and whistles".

Or is it just assumed that the owner would project straight on to the wall - which I'd have thought was fairly unlikely as if you'd splashed out this much for a projector it's highly probably you'd also have a dedicated screen, of some description, for it.

Last edited:
Does the throw allow the use of a stand- or wall-mounted centre speaker (in a typical surround set up) or are you really needing to in-wall (or go with the inbuilt speakers)?

Its pricey but i remember the Epson LS10000 was similarly pricey on launch, and this seems to geuninely be moving the game on.

Something like this with 3D and Dolby Vision support instead of or in addition to HDR10+ would make my credit card very twitchy indeed but for a first go at a short throw 3 laser projector Samsung are to be commended.

Thanks for the review. We're still happy with our Epson 9300 but this sort of thing may well be an option when/if we move house again and we have more limited space. The price is a little bit too much for us though!

Quick question. This doesn't appear to come with a 12V trigger (unless I just didn't notice it but the rear panel doesn't appear to have the output) - is that "usual" with short-throw projectors? It may well just be a combination of me and laziness but it is quite a useful feature if you don't want to, or can't, send a remote signal to the screen to lower it. However at this price I'd expect "all/most of the bells and whistles".

Or is it just assumed that the owner would project straight on to the wall - which I'd have thought was fairly unlikely as if you'd splashed out this much for a projector it's highly probably you'd also have a dedicated screen, of some description, for it.
Motorized screens can be triggered via a USB dongle. Vividstorm provides one with their UST screens.

Does the throw allow the use of a stand- or wall-mounted centre speaker (in a typical surround set up) or are you really needing to in-wall (or go with the inbuilt speakers)?

Its pricey but i remember the Epson LS10000 was similarly pricey on launch, and this seems to geuninely be moving the game on.
I did some measurements for centre speaker placement and I can just about fit my KEF R200C between the projector and the wall, with the bottom of the speaker sitting flush with the top of the projector. This is based on placement for 120" screen. When projecting at 130" there will be a bit more wiggle room. Anything less than 120" I'd be screwed. In-wall would be better, but these USTs certainly make centre positioning awkward.

You are correct, there's no 12V trigger. Samsung assumes wall or fixed screen, but as mentioned there are alternatives to using a 12V trigger.

I did some measurements for centre speaker placement and I can just about fit my KEF R200C between the projector and the wall, with the bottom of the speaker sitting flush with the top of the projector. This is based on placement for 120" screen. When projecting at 130" there will be a bit more wiggle room. Anything less than 120" I'd be screwed. In-wall would be better, but these USTs certainly make centre positioning awkward.
Presumably you could place a centre speaker under the projector, or use an acoustically transparent screen instead.

Presumably you could place a centre speaker under the projector, or use an acoustically transparent screen instead.
I haven't seen any AT-UST screens yet Steve, but if using this in a bat cave, you could use a regular AT screen. Positioning below is my second option, but it would practically be on the floor, which isn't ideal. For those with the space to do it, I've seen some UST owners place their centres in front of the Projector.

Perhaps next gen USTs will employ speaker binding posts so they can use the inbuilt speakers as centre only, like some of Sony/LG TVs.

Great review of the projector Steve, feature wise don't think there is a projector out there that comes close so far but Samsung have now shown the projector world what can be done. This will now change the projector world for the masses as UST projectors are designed for living rooms primarily and not Bat caves. If you want deep blacks in a Bat cave then you have to be looking for a different type of projector for now. Epson and Optoma have brighter UST projectors than this and Epson uses LCD technology so nobody has to worry about if rainbows affects them or not. As far as image sizes are concerned this projector is very limited compared to some of the competition of UST projectors, which for it being touted as a projector for a living room and a tv replacement then that could also be a negative. What this projector has over the competition is it's very short throw ratio, think it's the same as the LG also being the shortest and that goes down to a 90" diagonal image size. These are all points to consider but as far as features are concerned nothing comes close to this Samsung UST projector currently. What type of screens did you use in an ambient light setting Steve?

Nice review. When I first saw the photo I thought it was a cheap lifestyle centre speaker before realising this was a PJ!

Just chatted with Samsung/UK and they say not available until Jan (I suspect they have no idea what they are talking about). Steve, do you know any reputable dealers that will have this?
According to Samsung the LSP9T (£6,999) and the LSP7T (£3,999) are available now from the Samsung UK website and in-store at Harrods. Customers purchasing either projector until the 19th of January will be eligible to claim up to £700 cashback. Having said that it doesn't seem to be on the Samsung website yet, so maybe it isn't available until next week or maybe Samsung is having supply issues given the current circumstances.

According to Samsung the LSP9T (£6,999) and the LSP7T (£3,999) are available now from the Samsung UK website and in-store at Harrods. Customers purchasing either projector until the 19th of January will be eligible to claim up to £700 cashback. Having said that it doesn't seem to be on the Samsung website yet, so maybe it isn't available until next week or maybe Samsung is having supply issues given the current circumstances.
Thanks Steve, I have since spoken to Harrods and they also don't have this in yet. They are hoping to have more info next week.

HOW MUCH :(

Great item.. just a shame about the price but suspect it'll be one of those that drops in a month or 2 after very few sales.

Exactly how I feel. Saw the review there and was like “oh Samsung short throw” (I’m looking for one)

The price just isn’t justifiable for me. Would love one but can’t spent 7 grand on it.

Great report and have been waiting for this ..

Will defo be looking at this , I do wonder if LG will be updating their version now, as this seems to be the benchmark for UST projectors in a living room environment.

I was considering a 77" LG Oled , but may well go for one of these and a full 130" Vividstorm Motorized Floor-Rising ALR Screen, I can then place my existing LG 65" OLED 3D tv behind it on the wall for when I want the 3D experience

Many thanks

Great report and have been waiting for this ..

Will defo be looking at this , I do wonder if LG will be updating their version now, as this seems to be the benchmark for UST projectors in a living room environment.

I was considering a 77" LG Oled , but may well go for one of these and a full 130" Vividstorm Motorized Floor-Rising ALR Screen, I can then place my existing LG 65" OLED 3D tv behind it on the wall for when I want the 3D experience

Many thanks
I have a similar plan :) LG 77GX mounted behind 120" Vividstorm pro slimline motorised screen. I'll be using the OLED for regular TV and movies shot 1.85:1 and use the LSP9T/Vividstorm combo for 2.35:1/IMAX movies. Best of both worlds :)

Placed my order for the LSP9T today but I'm told it could arrive before or after xmas. Patience is not my thing :(

Something like this with 3D and Dolby Vision support instead of or in addition to HDR10+ would make my credit card very twitchy indeed but for a first go at a short throw 3 laser projector Samsung are to be commended.
The lack of 3D support switched me off very quickly. For me, it's a necessity with any home theatre.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom