Samsung, LG or other

MicroMan

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to have narrowed my new TV to be either a Samsung QE55Q95T (QLED) or LG OLED55CX5LB (OLED) but keep changing my mind after reading different reviews.
I will mainly be watching movies, sport and documentaries and will not be using it with a games console. The one thing to me against the LG is the potential burn-in but most reviews say the OLED is a better picture than QLED. Can anyone offer any real life advice on either of these models (or maybe recommend another make/model for around the £1400 mark.

The QLED TV is just an LCD TV, its not a new display technology like OLED is.

Pros and cons of both here:

Thread on burn in:

Once you have settled on a display technology most suited to your conditions it makes your choice easier.

If you want LCD TV, the Q90T is the same as the Q95T but without the one connect box. Sony XH9505 is also an option.
If you want an OLED TV, the LG BX is a cheaper version of the CX with a lower tier image processor, for most people the saving will be worth it. Other manufacturers also make OLEDs of similar picture quality. Sony models have good motion and sound, but cost more. Philips models have good motion and the higher tier ones, better sound. Panasonic also make base models with good picture processing and higher tier ones with good sound.

Consider buying at a later stage, since now isn't a good time to buy a TV:

The Samsung Q90T doesn't have Dolby Vision but as I will be connecting it to a Denon AVR-X3700H which does will Dolby Vision work ?

No. In order to get Dolby Vision, your TV has to be capable of displaying it. No Samsung TV currently has Dolby Vision.

The Sony XH9505 Dodgexander mentions above does have Dolby Vision and is a comparable TV.
As he also says, the Samsung QLED is not necessarily superior to other brands LCD, it's just a marketing term and not to be confused with OLED, it's still an LCD TV.

Thanks for your replies and I am now being pulled toward the LG CX. It has Dolby Vision and as I don't use the TV for gaming the burn-in risk to me should be minimal.

Waiting until black Friday before placing an order but is the fact that the Samsung Q90T doesn't support Dalby Vision be a deal breaker. Most arguments seem to be around the fact that Netflix and Disney + are in DV but I watch neither of those, mostly just Sky+ and occasionally Amazon Prime so will I actually miss DV if I get the Q90T.

They still have HDR.

The difference between SDR and HDR is huge, it's one of the main reasons to upgrade to a 4K TV and at a smaller size will be far more impactful thatn the resolution bump from 1080p to 4K.

HDR to DV, while I've been wowed by a few DV things, I'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between them unless they were side by side.

I would rather have the OLED though than the Q90T, unless it was going in a bright room.

There are more important factors to consider when buying a TV than only the HDR formats it supports.
If your decision making process has correctly bought you to the Q90T then you shouldn't worry about it at all. What matters more than the HDR formats the TV supports is how good the TV can display HDR to begin with, in the Samsung's case, its a very good HDR TV and will play Dolby Vision content fine using the basic HDR10 layer.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom