Samsung / LG cheapies .. help for friend

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Jules, May 13, 2003.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Hi,

A friend of mine is planning to buy a cheapie plasma from RS.
    Probably the Samsung, or maybe the LG (around 2K?).

I'm usually a good source of advice on HT kit, but I've never really looked into plasmas.
    For someone who's not looking for the ultimate performance, are these cheapie plasmas terrific value, or unwatchably poo?

If the former, which is better - Samsung or LG?

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Jules

2. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best bet is to try to view them in the flesh, as so many opinions are bandied about you will end up more in the dark than at the start! Although try to ensure that the inputs into any demo systems are decent, as "poo" inputs will give "poo" outputs!

I personally have an LG14 (Not the newer 17) which I am happy with, but it really is down to personal taste.

One thing to bear in mind that additional costs soon mount up after the initial purchase of Plasma i.e. Better Sound system, DVD Player, Cables, etc. You may think you won't but as soon as you have that screen, you won't stop tinkering to try to improve it ;o)

3. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As Gant states, go check them out. Trust your own eyes and make a decision considering costs etc.

Personally I think the LG 17 is better than the Samsung.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Thank you both,

Obviously I don't want to encourage a friend to buy something they'll regret, but that doesn't sound likely from your comments.
    They won't be looking for top flight peformance.

I know you can buy better, but I'm going to keep my trap shut so it doesn't spoil the thrill factor for them.

Thanks

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    At £2500 the LG 17 is about the best available at the price. I have one and it looks brilliant on both SKY and DVDs. I love it and so does everyone who sees it in action.

But you have to set them up correctly and use good cables and connects. I always say the price for one of these done right is £3000.

I had the Samsung before getting this panel. Two in fact. They are not on the same playing field. Having looked at all the major panels in some detail I personally think it compares very well to the high end screens providing it is setup right.

The only other screens I have seen that I feel are worth paying the extra for are the Pioneer and Fujitsu panels. These are the best Plasma panels I have yet seen. When you look at the big picture I feel these two are a definate cut above the rest all be it most people seem to buy the Panny 5 series by default.