1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung LExxRx1B/BD Image Ghosting

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by iamhoey, Sep 10, 2005.

1. iamhoey

iamhoey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,
    Recently my Samsung LE26R41B has developed an interesting problem. Whenever there is a shadow in scene anything that moves has a trail imprinted in the dark region, it is almost the complete image, but it is grey. It is also apparent when a scene has a blackout (ie from image to blank screen) as almost the entire image will still be visible but in grey.
    This grey image is removed only if they "black" area is refreshed with a new image, if it isn't it will remain there indefinitely.
    It is visible on Freeview (by Scart), DVD by Scart (RGB and composite) and DVD by HDMI.
    I have been on to Samsung and they, quite helpfully, arranged for a technician to be sent out. I use that phrase very lightly.
    The inbred chav Neanderthal who came to my house (wearing shorts, a t-shirt, a gold chain and trainers- no socks!) told me that there was nothing wrong with my set and it is a "design feature" (!) of all LCD TVs and he has seen it before.

Now I am not sure about you but I doubt Samsung designed this feature and I have certainly NEVER seen this on any LCD TV- in fact I had never seen it on mine before!

After he left I got back to Samsung, and after being shifted between advisors I made it clear I was seriously unhappy. I was then transferred to a Senior Customer Services Assistant, who was very nice, she has confirmed that Samsung never decided to design this feature into the TV and it is not normal, but she will have to wait to hear back from the technician before continuing.

Has anyone else experienced this problem on their LCD TV (be it the same model or even a different type altogether)? I am worried that they will come back and tell me there is nothing wrong, this ghosting makes most films/programs unwatchable (unless they are really fun and bright- ie The Tweenies and the like).

Can anyone offer any help/advice/comments?
    It would be very much appreciated

Many Thanks
    Andrew

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Andrew, my Sony KLV26HG2 actually has something that sounds like what you describe to some extent on extreme black and extreme white areas. It's almost like it leaves little faint liquid outlines but it clears them every half-second or so.

I can get rid of this by expirementing and getting the exact settings for Brightness and Contrast. Lower the contrast and also the brightness a little and see if this helps at all.

However you seem extremely annoyed, it sounds like what you have is by far more noticeable... I don't know if it's the same thing. Any chance of a video?

3. iamhoey

iamhoey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Lyris,
    Thanks for getting back to me! It sounds similar to the problem that you had, but it doesn't clear in a half-second, it just stays there! I have played around with the contrast/brightness and it is possible to make it less apparent, but only by making the screen so dark you can't see any detail! It also becomes less apparent by turning on the annoying dynamic contrast but then you have the scene becoming darker and lighter randomly during scenes- which is probably worse.
    I haven't found anything which completely gets rid of it, and I have spent too many hours trying!
    I can try and get a video, but that may take a while, I shall see if I can get some pics (they won't be big I am stuck on dial-up till the end of the month- damn it!).

I'll try and sort out the pictures in the next few hours...

Thanks Lyris

Andrew

4. iamhoey

iamhoey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Lyris,
    I have taken a few photos of some ghosting from a DVD of Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow.

They can be found at http://www.putfile.com/iamhoey

Please let me know what you think

Many Thanks
    Andrew

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    How bizarre, right now I'm watching exactly the same film!

No, I never have anything that bad. That's almost certainly defective. Are you using the TV in a particularly cold room?

6. iamhoey

iamhoey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is such a good film!
    The room isn't especially cold, it can be quite sunny, but I usually have the curtains closed or the TV covered.

At least I now know that it isn't a design feature of all LCD TVs!

Now I need to wait until Friday to hear back from Samsung to see if they will repair/replace it...

Thanks for your help.

Enjoy the film

7. ThePimpmaster

ThePimpmaster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is not normal!You need a new set :lesson: This set is especially good with fast content because of its good responsetime. It is unacceptable.

8. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I thought I saw the same blurring issue while was watching GI Jane on Channel 4 last night (Sky Digital/RGB SCART) but only during dark scenes. It was especially noticeable on the faces. It looked rather like the kind of effect you get when you leave mouse trails on in Windows. The picture looked otherwise fine in terms of clarity and colour and the quirk wasn't visible during daylight/bright scenes or during the adverts. I put it down to the transmission because I've not seen it anywhere and I've watched other programmes that are dark on Sky and I've watched DVDs. I'm hoping this isn't another fault as I only got my new replacement TV on Friday! :rolleyes:

9. ThePimpmaster

ThePimpmaster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Turn of the digital noise reduction,might help!

10. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Funny you should say that. I'd turned it on earlier last night when previously it was off! It's now turned off again. I'm going to test it on a DVD so hopefully it will be OK now. Thanks anyway... :lesson:

11. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If it's any help I just tried to replicate it on mine and found no problem.. :thumbsup:

12. iamhoey

iamhoey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,
    Just thought I would update you, Samsung STILL have not sorted this out. I get a call every so often (between a few days and a few weeks) telling me that they are going to call me soon... It is getting ridiculous. As far as I can tell the "inbred chav Neanderthal" told Samsung that there is nothing wrong with the set, and if you see the images I'm sure you'll disagree. I am worried that Samsung won't fix the set as this guy said there was nothing wrong with it!

Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks Muchly!

13. Cowden_harley

Cowden_harley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    trading standards get in touch sooner rather than later. theyll advise you accordingly

14. mister meaner

mister meaner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iamhoey - they way you describe it, it sounds like the image enhancement software in the set has left behind a patch that has slightly lighter pixels than the area around it. Is the DNIe on?

Does it go away if you turn down the backlight and the contrast?

I would guess this is not a feature of LCD's per se, or traditional ghosting, especially if it stays around for a long time following a fade to black. Good news is that if it is a software fault, maybe the set can be fixed with a firmware update?

15. uxbwarrior

uxbwarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed the same 'grey ghosting' problem on my SAMSUNG LE23R41B. The TV is set up in my bedroom and receives a signal via a coax connection from a sky+ box downstairs (remote connection installed as a second outputn when I had sky installed). When I am watching sky, images occassionally turn grey. To cure the problem I switchthe TV to a terrestial signal and then back to the sky channel. If you get a satisfactiory answer from SAMSUNG, I would be gratfeul to know waht it is???!!!

16. zippy75

zippy75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get the same ghosting/trail problem with my 32" Samung (22 Aug firmware) have been in contact with samsung have not heard from them in over a week!!

17. dshipp

dshipp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    uxbwarrior I have the same problem as you on my LE26R41B. Occasionally when watching BBC1, parts of the image will become grayscale. It only happens on BBC1, never on any other source, and it is imediately cured by change the channel to 2 then back to 1. I suspect that it's a problem with the image processing software caused by the quality of signal on BBC1, I'd say that the signal quality is average on that channel and more prone to interference than other channels. Note, I have all noise reduction etc turned off.

18. zippy75

zippy75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have experienced the same problem have got in touch with samsung uk. An engineer is coming got to me in the new year.

I am very annoyed I would of bought a panasonic lcd like my brother's - his doesn't suffer the smearing/ghosting effect
    :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

19. MaxP

MaxP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you let me know if there was any update to this issue ?

im having exactly the same problem with my Sammy.
    when speaking to sammy they say this is all the fualt of the source and not the TV.

would be very very interested if you have managed to get them to admit this is a fault not a function.

20. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Fault of the source :rotfl:
    That's right, it's a fault of the source, even although it only shows up on this TV.

You can't turn it off on these TVs I'm afraid - I guess Samsung were just THAT confident about it.

21. scotty1980

scotty1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently had Sky+HD fitted and have a Samsung 32" LCD. I noticed that the grey outlines appeared on my screen when flicking between channels and also the 'trail' issue mentioned above appeared in dark areas of films etc.

Having played about with the settings on my TV, I've managed to 'fix' the problem (touch wood).

I changed my TV picture settings to: Contrast 60, Brightness 50, Sharpness 50, Colour 50, Colour Tone Cool1, Digital NR off, DNIe Demo Off, Size 16:9, PIP off.

Set Up settings: Game Mode On, Blue screen off

So far, so good...!