Samsung LED - advice please

jimmy5jumpers

Established Member
Reaction score
hello,
I thought my mind was made up between LCD and plasma, I done the research and narrowed my choice down to 2. Then I was asked if I had considered an LED TV (which I'll admit, I hadn't really heard of)
So, for personal reasons, I want a Samsung, but which Series? I know there is 8000 Series out, but is there a big difference between each Series??
Obviously I want the latest Series out, but I dont want to pay alot more if its not worth it.
Thanks ppl,

depends on alot of things though.
what will you be mainly watching on this?? SD or HD/any bluray playback or games/using it as a monitor???
the differences between each series isn't a great deal. usually upgrade the looks/body, refresh rate/connectivity ie usb/divx hd/ dlna etc and sometimes a better video processor.
if you are only watching SD then 5 series should be good enough. HD/bluray etc, look at series 6 or above.

LED is LED back lit LCD, and there are 2 variants, one being side lit, the other back lit with local dimming.
What this means is that you can now effectively control the blacks displayed.
Meaning you can turn off portions of the back light, or dim them.
I still think Plasmas have better blacks, and don't need smoke and mirror technology to achieve good results.
If you are watching a lot of Blu ray material, Plasma would be the WTG, playing games or using the PC a lot, LCD.
LCDs are less prone to IR ( Image retention) but can still succumb to this.
Plasmas need to be looked after, but if treated well, you will have care free viewing.
LED LCD back lit technology is not worth the extra $, it is still in its infancy.
I would, if buying an LED LCD, check out similar priced Plasmas, you would not regret it.

Hope this helps..

:thumbsup:

Thank you both for the advice - much appreciated.
I will mainly be watching Sky (not HD at the moment) and playing xbox & Wii. However, I will be looking to get Sky HD and watch blurays in the near future.

I've had my current plasma for about 6 years without any probems at all - is it too early to judge LED TV's?

For the bang per buck on LED LCD, you will for the same $ get a Plasma performer which will be one of the best regardless..
It is too early to make LED judgment, sure it looks great, but @ what cost?

:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom