Samsung LE656 FW1020 problem?

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Articate, Jan 31, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Articate

Articate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, I just updated my LE40A656's firmware to the latest (1020) and recalibrated the TV. Made sure everything of dynamic contrast, black level adjust, energy save and dynamic contrast is turned off

Still, there seems to be something dynamic stuck. I use my PS3 for calibration purposes, since that's a 1080p output where the signal need no processing (as in, colours would be neatural and every pixel can stand for itself). Run some 1080p games and use the menues for black level calibration.

But I felt the PS3 menu was too dark, so I press the TV menu. "hey. That's how I want it!" Turn the menu off; the PS3 menu is back to being too dark.

The PS3 menu is pitch black, so I like the white text as a good constrast reference; after the FW update there's a clear difference between the white level when the menu is up or not. It's not brightness bleeding, I thought something like dynamic contrast was still on, but I found it to be off.

Has anyone seen the same symptoms, or anything? Is there a way to downgrade to check if it is infact the FW?

EDIT:
    Also happens on my digital tuner. When you change channel, a channel chooser overlay stays on screen while the screen goes black to go to the next channel. A tenth of a second after the screen being black, I see the menu being dimmed a tad.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. Articate

Articate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Mumid

Mumid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    If you looked through the a656 discussion or settings thread, you would see that this topic has been discussed numerous times. Basically, this firmware has auto dynamic dimming that can only be turned off in the service menu.

4. Articate

Articate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, what's the setting called?

5. Articate

Articate
    Standard Member

Products Owned: