Samsung LE52F96BD Does it have Auto Format Switching via HDMI (4:3 <-> 16:9)

Live_Steam_Mad

Standard Member
Hi, does the Samsung LE52F96BD (the one with the LED backlight) have "Auto Format Switching via HDMI" so it can auto switch from 16:9 to 4:3 for a square screen broadcast to be presented in the correct aspect ratio, when the set is connected via HDMI only?

Anyone tested this on a SkyHD box?

Cheers,

Alistair G.

shawnf

Novice Member
Hi, does the Samsung LE52F96BD (the one with the LED backlight) have "Auto Format Switching via HDMI" so it can auto switch from 16:9 to 4:3 for a square screen broadcast to be presented in the correct aspect ratio, when the set is connected via HDMI only?

Anyone tested this on a SkyHD box?

Cheers,

Alistair G.
I have my SkyHD box set to Auto. My old Toshiba 37WLT58 would switch correctly to 4:3, but my F96 doesn't.
I think it is safe to say that the F96 assumes all HDMI sources are 16:9, as the wide screen formatting options in the menus are greyed out for HDMI sources.
Great picture though, so I have lived with it and include the aspect ratio button in my Harmony activities for SkyHD :)

maxsquared

Standard Member
My samsung r74, when setup auto widescreen, it doesn't switch between 4:3 and 16:9, but if I set the change that's 4:3 to 4:3 for one channel and 16:9 to 16:9 for one channel, it will change automatically to the correct screen resolution, don't know if that helps.

KeanosMagicHat

Novice Member
My samsung r74, when setup auto widescreen, it doesn't switch between 4:3 and 16:9, but if I set the change that's 4:3 to 4:3 for one channel and 16:9 to 16:9 for one channel, it will change automatically to the correct screen resolution, don't know if that helps.
I'm not sure I follow you.

Could you explain this step by step please?

Cheers.

shawnf

Novice Member
This isn't the case for the F96, as Auto Wide isn't available for HDMI sources.

From the F96 manual:
"Auto Wide" function is available only in "TV", "DTV", "Ext.1", "Ext.2", "AV", and "S-Video" mode.
When setting the picture size to Auto Wide in a 16:9 wide TV, you can determine the picture size you want to see the 4:3 WSS (Wide Screen Service) image or nothing.
This function is not available in PC, Component or HDMI mode

My F96 will switch from Just Scan to 16:9 when you go from an HD channel to SD channel on Sky HD, but if you choose 4:3 it will stay at 4:3 regardless of what channel you then choose.
So I just have to remember that certain channels like SciFi are always 4:3 and switch to that when viewing them.
I also use an Onkyo 905 amp and the scaler on this doesn't detect the 4:3/16:9 changes, so with the Toshiba I couldn't use the Onkyo scaler as I couldn't override the aspect ratio on HDMI sources.
At least I can override it on the F96, but auto switching would be good :)

Live_Steam_Mad

Standard Member
This isn't the case for the F96, as Auto Wide isn't available for HDMI sources.

From the F96 manual:
"Auto Wide" function is available only in "TV", "DTV", "Ext.1", "Ext.2", "AV", and "S-Video" mode.
When setting the picture size to Auto Wide in a 16:9 wide TV, you can determine the picture size you want to see the 4:3 WSS (Wide Screen Service) image or nothing.
This function is not available in PC, Component or HDMI mode
Damn. It's really dissappointing that the engineers didn't see fit to include this most basic and wanted of functions for HDMI. Idiots! :(

My F96 will switch from Just Scan to 16:9 when you go from an HD channel to SD channel on Sky HD, but if you choose 4:3 it will stay at 4:3 regardless of what channel you then choose.
So I just have to remember that certain channels like SciFi are always 4:3 and switch to that when viewing them.
I also use an Onkyo 905 amp and the scaler on this doesn't detect the 4:3/16:9 changes, so with the Toshiba I couldn't use the Onkyo scaler as I couldn't override the aspect ratio on HDMI sources.
At least I can override it on the F96, but auto switching would be good :)
So you are saying that, when your F96 is connected to your SkyHD box via HDMI only, that there is no "auto wide" function on the TV, and that you have to manually press a button on the F96 remote to switch between 4:3 with large black bars left and right, and 16:9 ?

In which case, I could live with that I suppose as I already have to do this on my projector.

BTW Many, many thanks for the help with this issue. :smashin:

And also BTW if any one has a list of TV's which have this "auto 4:3 -> 16:9 switching via HDMI", or "auto format switching" as it is called, then I would love to know which other TV's can do this.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

shawnf

Novice Member
So you are saying that, when your F96 is connected to your SkyHD box via HDMI only, that there is no "auto wide" function on the TV, and that you have to manually press a button on the F96 remote to switch between 4:3 with large black bars left and right, and 16:9 ?
Yes, not ideal, but if you are on the channel for a while it is OK. Some channels (like ITV3) do show older programmes in 4:3 and then switch to 16:9, so you have to watch for that and be ready with the Aspect Ratio button on the remote :)

And also BTW if any one has a list of TV's which have this "auto 4:3 -> 16:9 switching via HDMI", or "auto format switching" as it is called, then I would love to know which other TV's can do this.
Well you can put my old Toshiba on the list - 37WLT58, so perhaps the newer Toshibas do as well?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom