Samsung LE40R7BD - Horrid picture quality

crappy

Standard Member
Hi All,

I bought a Samsung LE40R7BD yesterday from Dixons and am totally gutted by the picture quality.

In the shop, the picture was pin sharp. Mine as horrible ghosting and bleeding.
It is connected to my telewest box via Pure AV gold scart cables as well as Sumsung DVD player with the same cables.

The two problems are:
When viewing cable, nothing is sharp and everything bleeds into everything else. Example: A door frame is not a sharp edge. You can see the frame and the edges are blurred into in the surrounding colours.

The DVD has the same problem but not as bad. Example: Writing on the menu (or anywhere in the movie) has no sharp edges. It softly blurs into the surrounding colours.

Another was to describe it is watching a video clip on a PC which has been compressed to high heaven.

Is it a case of trying to display a normal TV picture on a large screen? Pixelation? Why does the DVD suffer the same? Why was it pin sharp in the shop?

TIA.

Cheers,
Crispin

All sorts of things could be wrong with the way the TV is set up - have you tried having a good Tweak of the Picture settings at all? Especially try expirementing with the Sharpness control, it sounds like the way its set up might actually be blurring the picture.

c.jelly

Do you still have to wait for LCDs to 'settle'?

I remember when I got my first LCD TV about 2 years ago, the picture was awful to begin with, but after about a day the picture settled and everything was a lot clearer.

crappy

Standard Member
Thanks guys...

Correction, I bought the TV on saturday and have had it on for most of the time with no change.

I have played with the settings some more and by reducing the sharpness to zero, the problem is not as bad. However, everything is so soft it looks wrong.

Currently, I have a DVD menu on screen which as a black background with white writing. This seems OK, barring the softness. Having white writing on a cream background, you can clearly see the ghosting and bleeding.

Cheers,
Crispin

Giblets2

Are you sure your SCARTs are plugged into RGB compatible inputs, otherwise you will get composite - very fuzzy, bleeding of colours in a kind of 'crawling mesh' and images of regular lines sometimes being translated as colours so, for instance, a b/w striped shirt might show yellow and blue edges to the stripes. If they are your symptoms then you are watching crappy composite. Try changing inputs on the SCART or modifying the settings on the source to RGB. If you don't have enough RGB capable inputs then use S-Video as it's still much, much better than composite.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I posted on here a week or so ago to say that I was equally unimpressed by the picture on a Samsung F series (1080 panel). If you do find the answer please let us all know; at the moment I'm not at all tempted by their products but the prices are right.

crappy

Standard Member
Thanks for the tip.

Yes, I changed the cable to be RGB and there was a slight improvement. I also tried S-Video from my laptop to the TV and it to was horrid. I did not however play with the settings as I had to leave. Will try that at some point.

My laptop has a HDMI output on it. I will go get a cable and try that as it is surely then apples to apples...

Cheers,
Crispin

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom